Author Topic: Old Pike Update  (Read 4203 times)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: Old Pike Update
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 12:02:28 PM »
I got a text on my phone that says so....I also think that the course shold be a pay to play deal......$3/day M-Th, and $5/day Fri, Sat, Sun, you have to get a like a wristband at the proshop would be the best, or ask them to leave.....

I think it makes sense in this case being it's a private establishment that doesn't wish for it to have the type of traffic that the public parks do. A pay system like Jack is advocating would definitely help keep the jackasses out of there.

It doesn't keep them out of Morley Field in San Diego. But that's a public park....  I'm surprised they haven't already implemented this. Good idea.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:19 PM »
Tuesday night doubles.  Every week.   $6.   

Additional baskets are on the way, and we should have at least 15 permanent holes next week.  But, we could use some help.  Please come out and help this Saturday at 10:00 am for a couple of hours.   

We have positive momentum and a great relationship with the OP staff.  We hope to keep moving forward.  Also, they aren't asking for pay to play yet; but, appreciate donations which go 100% to course maintenance and improvements.  We are asking players to register with the CC so they know who we are.  Once you register your vehicle, you should be covered and shouldn't need to sign in every time. 

This week we had 14 players.  The league competition for the disc golf was pretty close; but, team Ted/Troy pulled out a victory.  The high dive cannon ball competition wasn't nearly as close:  Bill Neenon fought the board momentarily but won uncontested! 

If you are available Saturday, please come out and help prepare the course for the remaining holes!

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 01:58:37 PM »

Also, they aren't asking for pay to play yet; but, appreciate donations which go 100% to course maintenance and improvements. 

Is there any way to grantee those that donate labor will never have to worry about the pay to play? I live really close to here so I love that another 18 hole course is being installed and could maybe come help. But this statement and the skeptic in me makes me feel this course will eventually have a small pay to play fee after it is established. Which I'm ok with, but not if I donate my time.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

Beat Hummel

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 02:00:49 PM »
This week we had 14 players.  The league competition for the disc golf was pretty close; but, team Ted/Troy pulled out a victory.  The high dive cannon ball competition wasn't nearly as close:  Bill Neenon fought the board momentarily but won uncontested!

High-dive jumping into pools after league? This sounds glorious!!! <as i sigh in disappointment and realize the only water i can dive into tuesday nights at swope might lead to parasitic infestation and stink-beard>

Bill

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 06:11:25 PM »

Also, they aren't asking for pay to play yet; but, appreciate donations which go 100% to course maintenance and improvements. 

Is there any way to grantee those that donate labor will never have to worry about the pay to play? I live really close to here so I love that another 18 hole course is being installed and could maybe come help. But this statement and the skeptic in me makes me feel this course will eventually have a small pay to play fee after it is established. Which I'm ok with, but not if I donate my time.
                                                                                                                                               Ash it sounds like you dont understand the meaning of the words donate or volunteer. I have had several people whom never played or  never will play Disc golf help me at WaterWorks your payback should be in your hart.    Just my opinion   

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »

Ash it sounds like you dont understand the meaning of the words donate or volunteer. I have had several people whom never played or  never will play Disc golf help me at WaterWorks your payback should be in your hart.    Just my opinion   

I understand donating time to a public park that anyone can freely use. This is totally different because it is private land. My point on this was I won't donate my time so they can get 18 holes in and then start charging once disc golfers have done free work. I felt this is something that should be answered before people volunteer their time.

To donate or volunteer is to give to a good cause. Helping set up a (potentially) pay to play disc golf course on private land isn't really a good cause. If we knew the course would never be pay to play then it would be a good cause. Otherwise you are just working for free.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 08:54:40 AM »
While certain comments can be really hilarious, they can be off-putting to some.   ::)

I look forward to getting out to Old Pike soon. I expect this has been asked before but where is it exactly?
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 09:14:17 AM »
Go north from Water Works on North Oak Trafficway.  Turn left on Vivion (just past I-29), and then turn right on Old Pike Road (there is a Home Depot right there).  It is just behind the Home Depot.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
less than 5 minutes from WW K-Mont
    1.   Start out going NORTHEAST.  0.1 mi   Map  |  Avoid   

2.   Turn RIGHT.  0.1 mi   Map  |  Avoid   

3.   Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto WATER WORKS RD.  0.0 mi   Map  |  Avoid   

4.   Turn LEFT onto N FARMLAND TRFY/N OAK TRFY/MO-283. Continue to follow N OAK TRFY/MO-283.  1.7 mi   Map  |  Avoid   

5.   Turn LEFT onto NE VIVION RD/US-69.  0.3 mi   Map  |  Avoid   

6.   Turn RIGHT onto NW OLD PIKE RD.  0.3 mi   Map  |  Avoid   

7.   NW OLD PIKE RD.

Not exactly Old Pike, but once you pass the Home Depot, take the first right into the club....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:29:46 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
K Mont.  Let me (Mike T) know when you are coming to play OP and I will join you for a round.  I haven't made it up to St. Marys yet or Sedalia; but, that is no excuse for you not to play OP! 

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 11:01:54 AM »
Ha-Ha... will do. No obligation disc golf we'll call it...   ;D
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 11:18:38 AM »
In response to Ash,  we would love to have your help in improving the course.  But, we do not donate our time only because we expect something in return.  Its about karma, building good will, and the love of the game.  We want to build a high quality, well maintained course, that everybody can enjoy.  The CC has expressed no interest in making money; but, there are some expenses to develop and maintain the course.  I keep track of the funds from league and we put all the money into the course.  Next time you play you will notice improvements we voluntarily put in yesterday.  There are new benches a bag hanger, etc on the knotty hole and the Old Pike Spike holes, which we consider "our" stretch of the course.        

Kevin V. and I have put in hundreds of hours to improve the course and we have no guaranty that we will be able to play for free indefinitely.  But, we have build a great relationship with the OP general manager and we have a lot of goodwill.  For example, last week they asked all of us if we would like to jump in the pool after league, and Kevin brought charcoal and chicken wings for a snack afterwards.  There is no guaranty that these things will always happen; but, we want to keep the positive momentum and keep moving forward to 18 holes.  

The revenue generating will likely be down the road when the course is developed and the CC can host some signature tournaments.  

Hope you can help out with the course on Saturday or whenever you can.  But, if not, please come out and play league and enjoy the course!      

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
As ususal, random draw doubles tonight at Old Pike.  The baskets arrived; so, we should have one additional hole to play and 15 real baskets for this evening.  So, you won't have to shoot at my homemade "hobit basket" anymore. 

Things keep moving forward.  One of our local legends, Max Hilger, came out last Saturday.  Max and Steve worked like beasts in brutal heat to help clear the emerging cave creek shot.  Max has been instrumental in helping install many of our courses.  It was no surprise that he gave the Old Pike trees and brush a good old fashioned ass whipping while others wilted in the heat.  Thanks Max!

Brad Lenheim

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 02:01:06 PM »
Wish you guys would pick another night of the week to due Old Pike there are already two other leagues on Tues. I would love to play at old pike its a fun course! At the same time Im tring to keep attendance up at Shawnee Park so that league dosnt go by the way side.
I will try to make it up to help you guys out after this points series is over and I have more nights free. Keep up the good work out there.

Brad

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 02:17:23 PM »
max is another fine example of people that do work and no one knows who they are except those that do.....I wouldnt expect anything less from Max, he is a great asset to our community!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"