Author Topic: 2010 MO-Kan Points Series - Session 2 - Cancelled  (Read 1552 times)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2010 MO-Kan Points Series - Session 2 - Cancelled
« on: June 02, 2010, 01:47:52 PM »
The next session of the traveling points series won't start until the 1st full week in July, but I wanted to let people know of the changes I'll be making to the points series:

• Change the the Handicap:  This time, we'll use a different format.  Currently, I take your player rating (which is an average of all your rounds), and use that to figure your handicap.  Unfortunately, there's a large disparity in the number of strokes given to players in the 800 and below range.  To make the league fair to everyone from a 600 rated player to a 1050 rated player, I'll be incorporating a new formula:  I'll take your top 5 rounds from your last 10 rounds, average those together, and use that as your rating.  For each 9 points you're under 1000, you'll get a stroke.
  • Each week we'll be awarding the same number of points.  We've had some folks who haven't made out too well in the points count even though they've attended a lot of minis.  So if there are 20 people playing next session, and only 1 person shows up for said mini, they'll get 21 points.

Here's the schedule and registration form for the 2nd session:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AfpFzNKtC7ILZGczZDdqYnBfMTZkMjUzeHZkeg&hl=en
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:27:41 AM by Timko »

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 MO-Kan Points Series - Session 2
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 02:31:11 PM »
So, if two people attend, 1st will receive 21 and second will receive 20, correct? That's a great idea and will probably have the effect of boosting attendance. No one wants to let everyone else have easy points!

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 02:59:05 PM »
Yep.

The change in handicap will allow the handicap to more accurately reflect a person's current potential.  Once you've accumulated 10-15 rounds, it's very, very hard for your average to move anywhere.  Only taking the last 10 will allow the ups and downs of play to be better seen.  Taking the top 5 of those 10 will allow your true potential as a player to be more evident, making the handicap more accurate.

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:36:56 PM »
Yep.

The change in handicap will allow the handicap to more accurately reflect a person's current potential.  Once you've accumulated 10-15 rounds, it's very, very hard for your average to move anywhere.  Only taking the last 10 will allow the ups and downs of play to be better seen.  Taking the top 5 of those 10 will allow your true potential as a player to be more evident, making the handicap more accurate.

That's a good way to do it.  The USGA calculates handicaps by using the best 10 of your last 20 rounds.  Typically, most handicap leagues then take 90% of that number to use as an actual handicap for competition.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 01:38:37 PM »
I'm running into that 90% problem with Becky right now.  The farther you get away from 1000, the fewer strokes you get while maintaining the same percentage.  I think this method will be more consistent across all ratings.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
I've added the registration form to the first post. 

I would appreciate it if those running league currently could print off some of these registration forms and make an announcement at your leagues over the next few weeks.  I'd also appreciate it if those currently playing in the points series could explain how it works before leagues.  We had 19 people sign up this time; I'd love to see 30-35 for the second session.  The only way we're going to get more people is if the word starts getting out.  I can only do so much because of my work schedule and my inability to regularly attend leagues; it's up to those playing in the league to let people know.

Tracy, can you pin this for me?

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 05:22:45 PM »
I updated the schedule after a couple of typos.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I have had exactly 0 people give me money for this.   Depending on how many people register the first week, I may cancel the 2nd session.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Also, please pin this to the top of the forum.

kchippie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
NOOO!!! Don't cancel, I will definitely be playing.  I love the traveling aspect, getting to meet different people all over the city.  Come on everyone join in it's a lot of fun.  It doesn't matter your skill level you can come out and compete.  I hope we can keep this going, make it a KC tradition.  Thank you Timko for running the points series.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my brand new disc the most.

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Second that. I just haven't known when/where to pay up. I'm guessing the same might be true for others.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
You can either pay me or take it to DGW.  I'll be at SMP on Tuesday and at Olathe next Monday.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 MO-Kan Points Series - Session 2 - Cancelled
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »
After talking with some of the Session 1 people yesterday, I don't think I'll be doing a second session this year.  I don't think there will enough people to play to make it worth everyone's time (including mine), and I think my time will be better spent elsewhere (like trying to create a web application to handle all of our league scoring).  However, I think enough interest got generated to bring back some form of handicapped play, which was the whole purpose.  Expect this to be back next year!

-Chris

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 11:13:20 AM »
Bummer, I would have really liked to see how it would go when ALL the points are available on every night.

Thanks for running this Chris!!!  I'll be back next year for sure.
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Twister66

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
Chris, when and where will you be doing the pay out?
Jim Sherwood