Author Topic: MAO Second weekend July  (Read 5635 times)

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
MAO Second weekend July
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
Sine I was very unfortunate and could not get Sat off.for the WO, I plan on going to Columbia for the Mid America Open.  Was just curious if any other locals will be entering it as well.
I have never played there and want to know what you guys think of the event and also I may try to get there soon to check out the courses, anyone interested in a lil road trip?
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: MAO Second weekend July
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:13:23 PM »
The Mid-America is always a good time. I plan to make it again this year. One beast of a course (Indian Hills), one older short technical course (Oakland front) and one really sweet course (Oakland back) that will get played twice while the other two play only once. Players party at the park with fun and games. And a final nine for spectators. It's always been a pretty well run event from my experience.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 09:36:37 PM »
Oakland Back is such a cool course.  And I hear that K-Mont is a great partner to have for the dubs on friday afternoon!

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »
i think sometime next week I am going to make the drive and play a couple rounds out there to at least see what the courses are like.  Anyone else interested?
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:25:44 AM »
Make time to play Marshall on the way to or from Columbia. Another pretty sweet course
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

chessnut4

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 08:12:37 AM »
Doug,
   I would be interested in going to Columbia with you.   I can leave anytime after 5am

Tony D

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:57:22 AM »
Indian hills is a very homie course with mostly blind shots and mature cedars, The top course has 150 yr old baskets and the design matchs the baskets age. Should not be played, in my opinion...

Now the bottom course, is really fun to play, lots of shot selection.

Once the event is over, you'll wish you played AO bottom course for every round!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:05:13 AM »
Once the event is over, you'll wish you played AO bottom course for every round!

What he said.... 
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
From the website it sounds like Indian Hills got it's first REAL cut in 5 years.  Supposed to be pretty nice looking.  I think if cleaned up nicely this is the best course.  Yet since it's inception they have not been allowed to touch it so it really has not been a fun course in past years.  I hope this year will be better. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 11:00:12 AM »
Doug, I assume you mean Friday morning on the same weekend as the event?
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 05:01:18 PM »
Goin to scope out the courses either Tuesday or Wednesday, anyone else interested
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
QUESTIONS???

Now features concrete tee pads and Mach3 baskets.

but same sh!tty baskets on the top course?

MoLewis

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 10:34:30 PM »
Looking forward to seeing all of you here in CoMo.   Most of the praise and criticism posted above about the courses has been fair.  Columbia parks and rec made the club relocate some holes at Oakland, and a minor redesign ensued.  Some birdie holes on TOP are much tougher, and a few new holes on the back are being fine tuned.  Also 2 holes that were part of the BACK course, are now part of the TOP.

Indian Hills is maturing into a great course.  Open shots, tight shots, tunnel shots.  The guys here are practicing it alot, since league had to be moved there for a while during the Oakland redisign.

A word about the top course though.  It does look easy, but it will punish bad shots and there are times when it shows teeth.  The disc sucking cedars are unforgiving, and almost always costs you a stroke.  The baskets on the Top are old, but they don't bother me as much as they do other people.  Not good enough for good baskets to make a difference I guess. 

Mark and Keith and the rest of the club will run another great event, I'm sure.   See you there.

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:58 PM »
just got back from Columbia with Drew and Theiss.  had a blast with those 2 and some good golf was played......and some, well not so great golf was played.  John and I each carded a 6 today, Drew did not..... he did have an upside down 6 though  ;D

The top course was, well to be nice, not our favorite, and it seems like it can be a pretty dangerous course for tourny play.  some of the fairways seem to go through or very near tee boxes.  the back course, was really really cool and had some very neat holes, a bit hard to navigate the courses, but for the most part we got through...we did unintentionlay play safari golf on top.  but i cant say enough about the back course.

Indian Hills was where we headed to after Oakland, we at first where going to go there, and then right back to Oakland back.  We didnt even play 4 holes and new we wanted to stay.  that course is beautiful, well manicured and has every kind of shot you would want.  i cant speak for the rest of the group, but hole 16 was my fav, i tried to take a picture of it, but it just doesnt do it justice, but picture a 200 foot hallway made out of trees 8 feet wide.  I really look forward to the MAO just so i can play 2 out of the 3 courses again.  even if you arent going to play this even, i highly suggest making the short road trip to play the courses.  thanks again drew and john.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
but picture a 200 foot hallway made out of trees 8 feet wide. 

Ahhh yes, the hole where you can be 10 feet from the pin and have to lay up? Sounds like great golf!