Author Topic: Alcohol, Drugs and Loud and Obscene Language- NO NIGHT GOLF  (Read 3206 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
  The school board has been notified and the assistant superintendant has notified the principal of the school about several problems at Yates.  Neighbors have called the police about these issues.  There has been some talk about pulling the baskets as punishment.  the course will not be pulled at this point, but baskets being pulled is the next step.  I do not care if i piss anyone off with what i have to say. This is my course.  I built it, i raised the funds, i seeked the donations, and i broke my back out there.  If i see you doing these things(drinking, drugs, being loud and obscent) on my course i will call the police on you.  No one is above the rules and laws and i will do everything in my power to protect my baby.  This course was built for kids.  the money was awarded under intentions that kids would be using this course.  all are welcome to play the course when school is out.  I have had  enough of the dumb sh$% out there.  Quit acting like trash and be respectful of your surroundings.  For those of 99.9% of you that are respectable golfers i thank you. 

John

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Alcohol, Drugs and Loud and Obscene Language- NO NIGHT GOLF
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 12:39:49 PM »
Well now....how do you really feel? ;D

John is absolutely right, and should encourage everyone to do the same if you see this type of behavior on the course.

realistically folks we have plenty of other places to play if you must/cannot play disc golf altered.

Don't do it here or any other park.  Fines and offenses are often doubled or tripled within school boundaries, so do everyone a favor and play somewhere else.

It would be a travesty to have an 18 hole course removed because people can not respect the school and the people that helped to bring our sport to its level.

One Thought though John is to remove them over the summer when school is out, I know it hurts the leisure activities of the kids using the course, but it may deter people from playing late night golf with the weather helping that time of the year......

Sux to have to post it here, I bet that most people reading this in here though are not the people doing this, but rather need to be the people helping to educate those that don't know.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
i've golfed there often, always with my kids, and when i've seen people there it's never been anyone i recognize.  hopefully this is the local indy crowd getting out of hand. 

sadly i see waaay too many beer cans there.  at a school. 
once i stumbled over some tools dropped onehitter between holes in the woods.  i'm no prude but can you imagine a parents reaction after that phone call on monday that their kid found some pot on the playground.  i'd go freaking bananas.

it's a nice neighborhood and won't take many complaints before the local indy poelice start walking back in there.  i hope that happens before john has to pull the baskets.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »

On the other hand, whiny-assed busy-body neighbors who buy houses next to a school that was there many years before said houses and then biatch about the happenings there can go F themselves as well. I bought a house that backs up to I-70 and you don't see me biatching about traffic noise and litter and crap like that. Buncha pricks.

Mike,

Many people buy homes with idea of having it close to schools so that they are able to take advantage of the school system.  They want to protect their kids, so complaining about the issues that are being heralded by John seems to align with how most people would react to the negative and inappropriate actions that are being seen by the neighbors.

I don't think that this is entirely a negaitve busy body reaction, but maybe more of a "hey quit doing this in my kids school reaction."  If these problems existed before the disc golf course then that action should have been taken care of before hand, but if ( as I am fearful it is) it is a situation that has only happened because of the activity that was brought in, then if I were in the area, I would complain and ask how to better patrol the course to align with what I wanted to see happen at my kids school (realizing all the while Mike that your kids to attend this school).
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »
Put up a big sign warning offenders of serious repercussions and mount surveillance cameras. I bet it would reduce the occurrence of this stuff by at least 10% to 15%.

The sad fact is, the people that do things like this don't care about anyone but themselves. Good luck.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 04:26:24 PM »
signs are being made and will be posted.  i am going to try to meet with the president of the homeowners association.  Police will also now be coming through the area becuase they did not know that if was a park.  they will be in plain clothes.  they frequent all of the parks in Indep in plain clothes.  Wer are taking this seriously and doing what we can do keep it from escalating. 

Pulling the baskets over the summer is an excellent idea.  i do not want it to get to that point.  i have seen many folks using the park and to me that means mission accomplished.  the grant received was for combatting obesity and people are out exercising.   

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:35:21 AM »
Tim we are all not Idiots here .Welcome to Disc Golf And Thank you for what you do everyday.
Team Ls Discs

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 10:55:07 AM »
Its a REALLY GOOD THING
Team Ls Discs

jbriz

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »
Just played around in the rain. Love this course.  I feel like do whatever you want in appropriate situations. Honestly if your consuming substances stay home. Probably shouldn't be driving let alone playing golf. I will call the police as well. But most of the violators aren't on this forum. It's going to have an incident to rectifie.

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 10:41:47 AM »
We'll discuss this at the upcoming EC meeting. We're solidly behind John doing what he needs to do to keep this course in the ground and to keep the goofballs, who are the minority of users (and as pointed out, probably not reading this thread) away. I'd hate to see the course pulled because besides offering a children a well-designed track, there have also been many adults who have first discovered disc golf at WYE and continue to play there. These people include both adults with kids and older couples. Because of its unique design (challenging shots for newbees and excellent short-game practice for more experienced players) WYE is a huge asset to our community. The KCFDC wlll cooperate fully with school officials, neighbors, and the police to enforce the rules and keep this gem of a course in the ground.

RR

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
rick@discgolfworld.com
www.discgolfworld.com

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 12:03:57 PM »
I called the cops more than twice while there.  Jerks.  Not the cops, the jerks who I called the cops on. 

Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!