Author Topic: Course Condition and Projects  (Read 5519 times)

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Course Condition and Projects
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2006, 09:30:48 PM »
My advice, based on playing that same hole numerous times in both placements:  Don't land in that stuff.  It hurts.  

There's a whole 'nuther route to that deep pin--along the fence.  Sure, the risk is going OB onto the field, but the shots aren't supposed to be all clear and easy.  That's a long hole, but it's not unfair in any way.  

If your shot lands behind something that hurts you or your disc, or makes for a tough throw, don't throw it there in the first place.  I think it was Jack that said that.

Yeah, some clearing, but that's why it's called a hazard.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Volunteering is great but CALL ME FIRST when doing work
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 11:57:45 PM »
There's been a few messages about doing work, and I more than appreciate anybody helping out, but I can't stress this point enough: GET WITH ME FIRST about doing anything out there.  This is especially true about clearing ANY vegetation, even thorn bushes.  The arborist  for Olathe does not want us clearing anything out there without his permission.  A few years ago somebody cut the lower branches of the pine tree in the middle of Number 18 fairway (not that far from the short tee pad) and we got SERIOUSLY SCOLDED for that.  A lot of the pine trees out there are orange (diseased) and are going to be removed soon.  If something healthy gets cut without permission I guarantee that will be a BAD thing.  As far as "build it, they will come" my motto is "improve it and more will come" Later-Bob Hayett

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2006, 08:04:12 AM »
That placement which you speak of will eventually be the long placement, there is still talks going around about putting one approx. where the old 13 tee pad was or else going further west closer to the pond but still on the back side of the trees with a placement.  There are several people that like the placement it is in now, including myself.  It adds skill to your shot and the thorns are kind of your punishment for throwing a crappy shot...haha

Eventually that will all be cleaned up, but like Bob mentioned the Olathe P&R like to keep a tight hold on things out there.  I can't blame them either, not much land there and houses are growing closer and closer all the time.  When spring hits and P&R can get their big dog mowers out there I think we'll see a dramatic improvement after a couple mows.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

drforster

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 02:49:27 PM »
Locks for the course......

Mountain Series:

http://www.padlocks4less.com/Products/Mountain/Img14.jpg

Hand Polished Solid Brass
Brass Internal Parts
Pin Tumbler Construction
Heel & Toe Locking for additional security
Hardened Steel Shackle
All weather indoor/outdoor

Looking at BP150 Qty. 50 for $130 keyed alike for no extra charge.  That would be enough locks for all the currect baskets and alt. pacements with some left over.

I am getting a quote on a custom pin and do not for see is costing more that  $125 for Qty. 50.

That would be a total of $255 for Qty. 50 locks and pins.

I will have the pin out at the course on Sat. to show Bob.

Here is a picture of the bolt and a different lock.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 08:09:54 AM »
I like that, just may need a washer welded on the end like we were talking about but that shouldn't be much.

That price is amazing compared to what everyone else has been getting quoted.  Let's definately have something for Bob to look at on Sat, then if he approves I can talk with the committee members about it.

Thanks for all the leg work on this Dan!!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

drforster

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2006, 09:00:31 AM »
The bolts are going to be about $62.50 for Qty. 50 with a washer tack welded on.

I went out to the course and tested the bolt last night, without the washer and it works perfect.  Some on the poles seem to be drilled a little different so adding the washer will help.  I could not push the bolt through any of the pins that I tested.

Locks: $130
Pins:   $62.50

Total   $192.50 + S/H

Not too bad for 50 placements!!!!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2006, 10:33:42 AM »
Sweet!!

Wonder how much one of those spike strips the cops have would be...we could definately get the offroaders slowed down with one of those!! haha

Either that or just some ballons full of paint and aim for the windows so they can't see where they are going....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

drforster

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2006, 10:45:18 AM »
Looks like we can get a 10 Ft section for $329

http://www.chiefsupply.com/spike_system.phtml

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2006, 10:51:52 AM »
Too funny

We could use those for sure at Cliff Drive & Blue Valley!
Mike Penney

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2006, 11:07:25 AM »
If I had a rocket launcher.......

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 12:07:25 PM »
I hear Uranium is getting pretty easy to come by these days....

The guy walking around Rosedale, picking up cans at the Ice Bowl said he could get grenades for us....haha
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

superq

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 02:53:07 PM »
first off I am not sure that you would need to weld the washer to the pin, it might be nice but not necsessary.

As far as locks, we all know locks remind honest people they are honest,  having said that I recently purchased 40 locks in sets of 10 keyed alike on e-bay for 81.50 total, they are master lock rustoleum treated and they are sweet

Deano

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 16 @ Olathe Pin Placement
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
Quote from: "colonelklank"
Played Olathe last weekend, or rather, it played me.  The wind was brutal, but the terrible score was mostly attributable to operator error.  Could I put in a recommendation for not placing the basket for 16 to the left, near the baseball diamond?  My tee shot went into the thorn bushes, and I received several gouges trying to retrieve my wayward disc.  My suggestion is that until the brush is cleared, the basket should be kept in the placement further west,  which I think would help most throwers avoid this hazard.  I could be available to help clear this stuff, depending on the day.

I love that pin placement!  However, I did witness Mike Gardner this saturday in league smack the back of his hand into the nasty Locus Thorn tree leaving him bleeding with 5 or more puncher wounds.  :shock:  He was really lucky he had his glove on!

drforster

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
Here is a picture of Tom and Andy Hard at work for once.......Well more like Andy.  The picture does not show it but it was snowing at the time.

This is the long placement on 16.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2006, 07:25:40 AM »
Actually, it was long 15.