Author Topic: hello and some questions  (Read 1631 times)

reconcoupe

hello and some questions
« on: June 29, 2010, 01:31:12 PM »
Quick intro, I'm Zane, pretty much new to disc golf. I'm military and stationed in Kansas City. I was home on leave in Boise this last month and my brother got me hooked so I'm just looking for some knowledge about the area.  Its a pretty big thing in Boise, has around 6 courses and your always waiting about 30 minutes to tee off unless its early Morning.

1st,  I noticed the Jthiess doesn't want you drinking on the William Yates course which is understandable, being a school and all.  But which of the courses on the MO side allow drinking while playing, seeing as how each park probably has its own open container rules.

2nd, What are yalls opinion on the best course to play for intermidiate level, with some good shade and good atmosphere, and without waiting 30 minutes to tee off?  (Basically whats your favoritve place to play and why)

3rd, Are any of the local courses pay to play or are they all free to the public?

4th, I saw that KC has DISCGOLFWORLD, is that the best priced and best overall place to buy some discs?

Anyother tidbits of local knowledge would be awsome.  Thanks in advance.

Zane

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hello and some questions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
    first off, welcome to KC Zane, and thanks for your service to our country.  Your question about which courses to play is going to get a bunch of different opions on here.  we all have our favs and like to tell you which ones are best and why, so take it for what it is.   

If you dont want to do alot of waiting i would say, stay away from Rosedale on most days, unless you want to play the down under course there, which is one of my fav courses and its in the shade the hole time.  plus its super short and super fun.

Drinking is allowed at almost all parks, but please dont bring glass bottles.  And as for me personally, i buy all my disc golf stuff from disc golf world, and i would say they have the best prices, plus all the people that work there can answer any or most questions you have with all the equipment and can point you in the right direction with  disc selection.  We also have leagues just about every evening just check the schedual to find one to go to, and the bonus, when you play as an AM, you can win "funny money" and use it as disc golf world.

This all of course is just my .02 worth and im sure you can get better answers from someone alot smarter than me.  My fav courses though, are Water Works, which is one of the finest courses you will find anywhere in the country, Cliff Drive is beautiful and right downtown and has a great mix of holes to work on your entire game, Swope would be a good beginner course and rarely has any kind of wait.  We have so many great courses in the area you wont often be waiting to tee off, unless its rosedale.  for some reason thats where alot of rec players play.  And if you feel like having an insane time on a course, check out Blue Valley.  Its SUPER long and its almost like a ball golf course, but has some amazing holes to see, and it also has a 9 hols short course.  Best of luck to you and again, welcome to KC.  Please check out a league sometime and meet some of the locals and get to know kc disc golf.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
the course in pleasant hill is very new player friendly.  it's never crowded and you can drink till you fall down.  it's a cruise to get there so play it twice.

rick at discgolfworld has any disc you're looking for.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
I think that rhyno covered it well.....

Waterworks is a local and national favorite, I am biased with Cliff Drive because I helped in its installation and the people after that have done great things to keep it moving forward.....its becoming a local choice for off the beaten path disc golf courses.

Busiest courses order would probably be like this:
Rosedale
Waterworks
Olathe's Prairie Center
Swope
  Most of those courses will have moderate traffic of upwards to 100 ppl/day, with Rosey the clear winner.  Its the easiest to get to off the highway and has been the oldest free course in town, Swope is the oldest but was pay to play for years....

Cliff Drive see's its fair share of traffic now, but not at the levels the others are seeing.

The advantage of going to Disc Golf World is that they can also direct you to some other courses based on your location that may help.  If you are in the Leavenworth area, WyCo is a little longer than some would like but a beautiful piece of property that is a fun time, St. Mary's college also has a course, as does Atchinson....

Beer is best consumed in a discreet fashion as far as I am concerned, and packing out what you brought in is much easier with aluminum cans.  There are several good breweries that now offer this option, New Belgium has fat tire cans, Boulevard had Wheat Aluminum bottles, and most Miller/Bevlite products come in cans, scrunch and put em in your bag as you go, we all thank you!

Welcome to Kansas City where we are a little proud of our own disc golf community and have over 20 places to play within a 45 mile radius of downtown......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 04:41:41 PM »
No alcohol of any type at Shawnee Mission Park.  That'll get you a $50 fine on the first offense.  The other parks, just pack out what you bring in, and stay away from glass bottles if you can, and be discreet.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

reconcoupe

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:24:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice,  I went and picked up some drivers, a putter and a bag from Disc world, prices were a bit higher than the ones I bought in Boise as gifts for my brother (same discs), but not rediculously over priced and the guy working was very knowledgable and got me hooked up.  I got a four day weekend starting tomorrow so I think I'm going to try out Smithville (closest to the house, so I can play a round tonight hopefully), Waterworks and Swope.

Once again thanks

Zane

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 01:39:44 PM »
Hey Zane,

Thanks for coming in the store. Not sure if we promoted the KCFDC (owner of this here message board) to you or not, but Disc Golf World discounts most discs a buck to KCFDC members.

Rick

Thanks for the advice,  I went and picked up some drivers, a putter and a bag from Disc world, prices were a bit higher than the ones I bought in Boise as gifts for my brother (same discs), but not rediculously over priced and the guy working was very knowledgable and got me hooked up.  I got a four day weekend starting tomorrow so I think I'm going to try out Smithville (closest to the house, so I can play a round tonight hopefully), Waterworks and Swope.

Once again thanks

Zane

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com