Author Topic: To Turbo Putt Or Not To Turbo Putt, That's The Question  (Read 911 times)

AreBeezy

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
To Turbo Putt Or Not To Turbo Putt, That's The Question
« on: June 29, 2010, 10:48:03 PM »
Listen, I'm two years into my career in disc golf and need some thoughtful advice.  I have been trying to perfect the turbo putt for about a year now and personally believe that not only can I throw it more accurately with less roll-out, but i've gotten the form down to a T.  I am playing with the idea that an instructional video should be made with MY blueprint on how to throw the turbo putt consistently perfect.  Is there anybody out there that has been throwing the turbo putt for a long, long time and has some personal anecdotes and or secrets that they feel are extremely unique?
If the moon was just a disc, where would it's basket be?  Saturn?

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: To Turbo Putt Or Not To Turbo Putt, That's The Question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 12:47:41 AM »
    i never really understood why people use the turbo as their main putt.  I get how it can have some use going over brush and other tricky spots, but why use it as your primary putt?  I mean if it works for you, by all means fire away, you have to play how you are most comfortable, but im pretty sure there is a reason why you dont see any top rated players turbo putt.
    what is your max distance with it, and outside of that distance, what kind of putt/approach do you use? also, it might be just me, but it seems like it wouldnt be as effective or accurate in moderate to high winds.  not trying to rain on your parade or sway your questions, but im just curious myself.  and as far as pointers go, id say this with turbo or conventional, get a basket and practice practice.  its all muscle memory.  drive for show, but putt for dough baby.  best of luck to you.
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 07:56:22 AM »
If you have the material to put together a video on how to make that putt consistent (heck, even make-able), I'd love to see it. The only person I've seen throw that putt semi-well is Mark Martin, and even he spends half his time yelling "Chain High!" at himself. It's always seemed a little gimmicky to me. It'd be nice to know when I need to throw over a bush or whatever.

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »
John Johnson is an ok turbo guy.....Dan Weinert should try another style! ;D

Sorry Danger, I completely forgot you yourself are an avid user of the turbo putt, but to say that, you are an avid user of all disc golf shots, so your style is never replicated easily, you are one of a kind.....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 09:47:21 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »
I have trouble throwing it more than about 25 feet.  I haven't tried tucking fingers under the rim though.  I think there are a couple of different techniques with this.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »
there's 2 types of turbo: John J, and Jay R use the dart turbo, keeping the disc in front of the body with very little "backswing", and very little distance to it, but accurate with muscle memory. Mark M. and myself use a softball throw, drawing the disc behind the shoulder and pushing with full extension, and can reach 40-50 ft on a good day. both techniques require a last second twist on release to give the disc spin. it's a great putt and very rarely goes into 3 putt range, i use it infrequently now, since my backhand putts have improved, and the reliability has waned, but it's a great putt to have, as is the sidearm putt. opposite hand putting is also a great putt to learn, especially sidearm as it will get you out of some gnarly predicaments. Derek R uses a scooby turbo that helixes, go figure.
espouse elucidation

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:53:21 PM »
Dan Weinert should try another style!

Mark my words sir...one day my modified, shot put style Turbo putt shall destroy you sir!

DcW  ;) :o ;)
For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

Beat Hummel

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 11:16:37 PM »
but im pretty sure there is a reason why you dont see any top rated players turbo putt.

I think Westa sums it up here-this is the point i always bring up when a turbo-putt discussion comes up-if it had ANY advantage for an "every putt" style then pros would be using it.  I think it has no value other than getting out of trouble.  My opinion only, and i do NOT apologize if I offend anyone by saying that dedicating your putting to only turbo putting is going to HURT your golf game, not make it better.  Spend the time instead on learning a thumber, sidearm, roller, or opposite handed throw (if you have the ability, we are not all Arturo).  Once again it is a great trouble shot to learn, but other than that............

PS-Dan you are never going to "destroy" anyone with that wobbly turbo putt Sir, although in time you might destroy people's eyesight from having to watch it-it's like a hideous car-wreck with mangled limbs and bodies strewn about-you can't look away but it is so painful to watch :o

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:39:27 AM »
PS-Dan you are never going to "destroy" anyone with that wobbly turbo putt Sir, although in time you might destroy people's eyesight from having to watch it-it's like a hideous car-wreck with mangled limbs and bodies strewn about-you can't look away but it is so painful to watch ...

Just added you to my destroy list sir...

Dan  ;)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 07:49:28 PM »
PS-Dan you are never going to "destroy" anyone with that wobbly turbo putt Sir, although in time you might destroy people's eyesight from having to watch it-it's like a hideous car-wreck with mangled limbs and bodies strewn about-you can't look away but it is so painful to watch ...

Just added you to my destroy list sir...

Dan  ;)

If you would so kindly notice sir...I did say modified, shot put style I believe!

DcW  :o ::) :o