Author Topic: H2Open is Postponed  (Read 1179 times)

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
H2Open is Postponed
« on: June 30, 2010, 03:13:22 PM »
The H2Open, which was scheduled for July 17, has been postponed. Another date has not been determined.

Rick
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: H2Open is Postponed
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:47 PM »
please be on a sunday
espouse elucidation

kcRhyno

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
Ryan "Rhyno" Westa
Do everyone a favor, pick up at least one piece of trash during every round.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:12:52 PM »
Sunburn Open was canceled because I don't want to run it, and no one else did either.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 07:34:29 AM »
The thing is ....   This disc golf town is so great because 4-5 people take up the reigns and run the events.   When those people get tired or wore out.    Then no one is there to run them.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

tigrboostr

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
Ball Golf/ Disc Golf Challenge is still going on Sunday July 25th. Must be signed up by July 17th. Random draw best shot doubles. You don't have to be a great golfer to have a chance in this event. Post your score in the ball golf round and then things get really interesting in the disc golf round. If you haven't tried it you're missing out. This is a lot of fun. Check out the link in the tourn listings and sign up!
Brian "Game On" Gammon

lucky4ever247

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
I have thrown in a hand in a few tourneys over the past few years. Mostly to get an understanding of how to run one. It has always been my plan to one day move back home and set up a course at the VA hospital in my home town. (Had a nine hole ballgolf course that was closed due to budget cuts). As things stand right now, I work every weekend. >:( I hope to change that some day. If I can get things changed, I will step up and try being asst. TD for an event or two before I will be ready to try my hand at running a full fledged tourney. Baby steps right? I have been clued in a little on what takes place weeks before an event. I need more experience before I step up and grab the reins myself. Maybe next summer I can.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:53:40 AM by lucky4ever247 »
RELAX!!!   I do All my own stunts!!!!!

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 08:56:06 AM »
I've never heard or seen solicitations to do something as major as running a regularly-scheduled tournament. I wouldn't think to volunteer, either, given the amount of time we hear those 4-5 people talking about how tirelessly and skillfully they work to pull these events off. Seems like something not just anyone can do.

If it's something that your average citizen can do, I'd be more than willing to run an event. Sucks to have whole dates scratched off the calendar.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
Kevin, it's probably a little late for Sunburn (and I did ask if anyone wanted to run it here after I said I couldn't), but if you're interested in doing the H2Open, I suggest talking to Rick today or tomorrow.

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 09:16:40 AM »
Is it postponed, or canceled?

Yeah, I looked back and saw you made that offer. Again, there seemed to by an aura of exclusivity around running events. My mis-perception.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »
I've heard that from a lot of people.  Trust me, there is no exclusive club, no secret handshake, and no decoder ring.  If we want KC to remain a strong town in terms of disc golf, then it's imperative that we get new blood running events. 

Brad Lenheim

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
Well guess this gives everyone a chance to get out of the KC area and try some new places to play. here is a small list of things going on around us around the same time as the cancelled / postponed events.

July 10th 26th Annual Mid America Open - Columbia, MO
July 17th DD Melvern Lake Meyham - Melvern, KS
July 24th LSDisc Open - Rosedale - Kansas City ( Yes its here but its an out of towner presenting it.) 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »
The Mighty Mo was cancelled because of scheduling conflicts with me.

The H2Open has been hit and miss the last decade, its more of a celebratory party for WW than anything.

The Lion's Den will be happening, and I plan on running the City Of Fountains in November, just not sure if it will be a PDGA event or not at this time.

The bottom line is if you want to help out those that run an event ask what you can do.  But running worlds last year takes a toll on those people that do the work, so because there is no worlds this year does not mean that we magically have more time, it means that the things and families that we ignored to make the worlds happen get prioritized better for us to spend time with them this year....next year should be better.....

But then you must also think that there are new events this year...

Blue Springs Event in May

Lees Summit event in August

So even though a few events may not happen, a few new events come forward, it all balances out in the end, you just didnt get ehat you thought you were! ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »
July 10th 26th Annual Mid America Open - Columbia, MO
July 17th DD Melvern Lake Meyham - Melvern, KS
July 24th LSDisc Open - Rosedale - Kansas City ( Yes its here but its an out of towner presenting it.) 

Looks like plenty of action in the area in July as it is. I highly recommend the Mid America Open, it's just a couple of hours or so down the road to the east.
I didn't even know Melvern Lake had a course. Cool!
And LSDiscs doing an event at Rosey has got to satisfy the locals wanting an event.

Burnout after running a large event like the Worlds is common. We'll bounce back. But we do need some new blood to step up and start helping and running some events. Smaller events like one day C tiers or non-sanctioned local tourneys are a great way to get started.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 12:00:38 PM »
Running a non-sanctioned (or even c tier) event is not rocket surgery

i'm not making fun.  it's just the little things