Author Topic: Young mowed  (Read 1497 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Young mowed
« on: July 14, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »
Young was just mowed.  They try to mow it once a week, usually on Tuesday so it is looking good for league.

I met up with the P&R yesterday and they took care of some mowing concerns on 6 and 10 on the dam.  Top notch service at BS.  I called and the supervisor came out that day with his crew and took care of the concerns.   :)

hyzerponix

Re: Young mowed
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
Still lots of trees in fairways, though...

DrRyan

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »

Thankfully.  Stay strong Johnny and don't let them talk you into cutting too many down.  Learn to play that course and you can play anywhere.  Learn to play at Wyco and you can only play there!   ;D

You could always look me up if you are ever in Phoenix and want to play courses without trees, there are plenty of them here. 
Put down your shiny new speedy driver and learn to throw the Roc!

DrRyan

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:53:57 PM »
I would completely agree with you Doug if there were not two tees on every hole.  If you are a beginner and don't like the trees, play the short tees.  Granted, there are still some trees from the short tees, but pretty much anyone should be able to play from the shorts.
Put down your shiny new speedy driver and learn to throw the Roc!

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »
Learn to play that course and you can play anywhere.  Learn to play at Wyco and you can only play there!

If you are a beginner and don't like the trees, play the short tees.  Granted, there are still some trees from the short tees, but pretty much anyone should be able to play from the shorts.

preach sir

dogundertheporch

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »
Young was just mowed.  They try to mow it once a week, usually on Tuesday so it is looking good for league.

I met up with the P&R yesterday and they took care of some mowing concerns on 6 and 10 on the dam.  Top notch service at BS.  I called and the supervisor came out that day with his crew and took care of the concerns.   :)
I wish all the other parks and rec's were like this instead of this mow once a month crap but it has always been this way for as long as I can remember.  Thats just the way it is some things will never change.

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 10:59:25 PM »
Unfortunately the SIZE & VAST AREA that Kansas City covers causes problems they have to MAINTAIN prolly 3-4 times as many parks  than Blue Springs & yes it SHOULDN'T be a REASON but it is ::)... Look at Lees Summit there roughly the size of Blue Springs & they have cut back on MOWING their parks as well  ::)
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 11:41:27 PM »
I just thought of a BRILLIANT way to use those SHORT TEE PADS ;D ;D ;D... YOU have to throw them with your OPPOSITE HAND.... I know i can hear the  :'( :'( :'( now  ;D ;D

I throw with both so I think it would be fun & who knows maybe that could be the KEY to my SUCCESS at Young once I feel a little more comfortable in a tight area playin LEFTY

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 12:07:35 AM »
I just thought of a BRILLIANT way to use those SHORT TEE PADS ;D ;D ;D... YOU have to throw them with your OPPOSITE HAND.... I know i can hear the  :'( :'( :'( now  ;D ;D

I throw with both so I think it would be fun & who knows maybe that could be the KEY to my SUCCESS at Young once I feel a little more comfortable in a tight area playin LEFTY
Ace Race ! ! !
Steven Disc Glover

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 01:30:57 AM »

Ace Race ! ! !
Thats been done before... I was thinking something new & REALLY quite challenging

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 08:28:58 AM »

Thankfully.  Stay strong Johnny and don't let them talk you into cutting too many down.  Learn to play that course and you can play anywhere.  Learn to play at Wyco and you can only play there!   ;D

You could always look me up if you are ever in Phoenix and want to play courses without trees, there are plenty of them here. 

I agree completely!!! If it's too hard for the beginner, and the short tees don't do it, then they should play else where. I really want new people in the sport, but I don't want to the challenge of this course reduced. Every course does not have to be beginner "friendly".

Tom V
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:26:29 AM »
good idea Caleb, and Doug whats wrong with people going to play Legacy or P-hill instead?  @ years ago this was not an option at all for the entire eastern side of the metro area.

Kudos to all the people that have helped to make this happen.

Caleb is exactly correct about the vast size in other municipalities, and John has a great working relationship with the BS P&R.  It also helps that the footprint of the park is such that it was already a high usage area, and the added work (investment) they did with the smaller acerage doesn't add as much to it as a Blue Valley that is on about 130 acres, vs. the ~30, with very defined areas that they need there.  It takes less work to do, and its already a targetted area to maintain, nothing to big and new to ignore, a perfect fit!

ITs a great example of the P&R taking the ownership to ensure that things are done well, and that is all through the relationship that John has been fostering for years.   Everyone in KC area and visitors benefit!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »
good idea Caleb
WOW I cant BELIEVE my EYES... Jack said I had a GOOD IDEA... Thanks Jack ;D maybe this could be a part of a tourney out here some time ;D throwing lefty is really quite challenging, I have to focus A LOT HARDER to throw LEFTY  ;D

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:35:13 PM »
The left handed idea provoked a memory. It was a long, long time ago (in the mid-80s) at the Rock Island Open that Dale Haake created a temp course at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois using "sand traps" (painted or roped) near a couple of the greens. If you got in the trap, you had to throw with your opposite hand. Dale was a bit of visionary in that he created several par 4s and par 5s on this course, primarily with the use of creative OBs, foreshadowing some ideas that would be used at the US Championship 15 years later.

good idea Caleb
WOW I cant BELIEVE my EYES... Jack said I had a GOOD IDEA... Thanks Jack ;D maybe this could be a part of a tourney out here some time ;D throwing lefty is really quite challenging, I have to focus A LOT HARDER to throw LEFTY  ;D
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 03:40:32 PM »
The course in Hutchison Kansas has actual sand traps and I believe if you're in them you have to either throw your disc upside down or opposite handed. Im not sure if they still maintain the sand traps but the were actual craters with sand in them. Kinda cool but last time I seen them they had weeds and were not so sandy anymore.