Author Topic: Can I get a ruling?  (Read 2314 times)

lordofthegoal

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Can I get a ruling?
« on: July 19, 2010, 10:39:20 AM »
Played WaterWorks Saturday in the heat and a buddy managed to stick his R-Pro Aviar into the side of the basket on 14:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lordofthegoal/DiscGolf?authkey=Gv1sRgCL6kxreX0uKEdw#5495639235259293298

I'm assuming this doesn't count?  Or is it a question of whether it went more than half way into the basket?
"Everything is fine and good"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Can I get a ruling?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:41:51 AM »
Its good.  Its supported by the basket entrapment device.  On top of the basket does not currently count.  Now you would have to remove the disc in order for it to count.  If another disc hits it and it falls, or through gravity itself it falls before you remove the disc then it would not cout.  So run up there and get it.  I think that if you search you should fine an ace shot from the 2007 Am Worlds where a guy threw it in, was running to the basket, got about 50' away and it fell out......heartbreaking...
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:42:51 AM »
As long as the disc is retrieved before it drops out.
It counts.
Steven Disc Glover

GOT D??? do u

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
yes it counts if it is SUSPENDED by the BASKET it however doesn't count if it lands on top of the  basket where the chains are attached  ;D...

I have done this myself twice here in the past month n a half but the best 1 that I saw pictures of was Leo D. sticking his drive in the side of the basket for an ACE at Young hole #3 I believe
Caleb "FOUL MOUTH" Coffman

COME, YE CHILDREN, LISTEN TO ME. I WILL TEACH YOU THE FEAR OF THE LORD  PSALMS 34:11

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:49:45 AM »
I saw a "taco" on #12 at Cliff last summer...one of the Pros.

It was awesome to be so close to the basket and actually saw it "taco in!" (I was spotting)

Dcw  8)
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:01 AM »
Its good.  Its supported by the basket entrapment device.  On top of the basket does not currently count.  Now you would have to remove the disc in order for it to count.  If another disc hits it and it falls, or through gravity itself it falls before you remove the disc then it would not cout. 

Unless your group agreed that the disc had come to rest.  Then it would be free to fall out, right?

coops

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 11:17:43 AM »
I was about to look that up Timko, but I'm pretty sure you're right.

coops

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:24:59 AM »
http://www.pdga.com/interference-rule

There ya go, Timko is correct.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
The most controversial part of this rule is when a disc is wedged in the side of the basket or hanging by a nub on the outside. Per this rule, once the group judges that the disc is at rest, it will be replaced there for the owner to complete holing out even if it subsequently falls off the nub or pops out of the side of the basket either by itself, wind or being struck by another disc before the owner gets there.

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:45:52 AM »
So how do you get your group to agree it has come to rest?  If it is wedged for only 2 seconds and falls out it, it hasn't come to rest.  But if it is wedged for 6 seconds and falls out, it is considered at rest, you replace the disc where it was just so the thrower can pick it right back up, and the shot counts?  That doesn't make any sense.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
You have to ask your group "did it come to rest?"  If half (including you) say it came to rest, then it came to rest. 

I've never been in this situation.  Marshalls, can you provide some insight?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:13:33 PM »
You have to ask your group "did it come to rest?"  If half (including you) say it came to rest, then it came to rest. 

I've never been in this situation.  Marshalls, can you provide some insight?

Sorry, what's the question?

If the disc is supported by the basket, either wedged in or hanging on a nub, and the player arrives at the basket and removes it before it falls out or off, then it is counted as in.

coops

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
I think the question arises if there is a difference in the group as to whether it was deemed to be at rest or not.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 12:21:19 PM »
dang rule changes....I knew it as soon as I typed it that it was wrong.

Basically when the group makes this decision, everyone agrees......if another person throws, then it is acceptable to assume that the disc was at rest.

B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.

Its a tough call, as we don't always go to the shot immediately to spot it.  Bascially though once another person throws, the place of the discs is generally viewed as complete and in that position.....

In the instance of the kid running in Milwaukee, it was apparent that the disc was not in the basket tight, and as such it was still moving.  The idea I would use is that of pool in that you can't hit another ball until all the other balls are at rest.....time limits are a group decision.....mayhem could ensue....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 12:25:09 PM »
I think if it falls out or off before you get to the target and remove it, you are out of luck. Even if eveyone sees it hanging there wedged in the basket, if you don't get there and remove it before it falls out, too bad. At least that's how I understand the rules.