Author Topic: 2010 Ace Race?  (Read 1405 times)

Ghostrider

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
2010 Ace Race?
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:54:28 PM »
Couldn't find a thread, but is this in the workings?  Had a blast last year, hoping to see it again.  Would be willing to do my best in helping out, run a small business that takes up a lot of time, but could do something to help I'm sure.

Thanks
"The most powerful and predictable people-builders are praise and encouragement." - Brian Tracy

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 Ace Race?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
Im wanting to do one at Yong park but I have to go through the correct procedures with the club first. Would be great to get an idea of how many guys and gals would be interested in attending. Also I dont want to step on any toes so if anyone else was wanting to run one here in KC let me know so Im not snubbing anyone.

Thanks Eric

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 08:50:49 PM »
Im wanting to do one at Yong park but I have to go through the correct procedures with the club first. Would be great to get an idea of how many guys and gals would be interested in attending. Also I dont want to step on any toes so if anyone else was wanting to run one here in KC let me know so Im not snubbing anyone.

Thanks Eric

Tim Becks and Eric Kolkmeier ran the Ace Race last year. I have no idea if they plan on doing it again.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 06:30:28 AM »
Put me as an interested party!!!
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 09:52:08 AM »
I'll play
Steven Disc Glover

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:55:19 AM »
i played ace race the year the glide was released and had a blast.  i think young park from the shorts would be the best course in town for this event.  let me know if you need help with the event or a rep on the ec eric.
Drew D Neitzel

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 07:47:35 AM »
yeah not sure how that works john said that I needed to go to the meeting this week and propose the ace race??

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
yeah not sure how that works john said that I needed to go to the meeting this week and propose the ace race??

Eric,

I think if you and Tim wanted to run it again (whether at Young, or somewhere else), I don't think the EC would object.  You'd just need to find a date.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 05:01:56 PM »
Give me a call or pm.  I've been in charge of laying out this year's tournament schedule.  I would have no problem vouching for you.

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »
Sweet!!! PM me your phone number. Im wanting to do Oct 30th its a saturday. Chap not sure who Tim is and I have had alot of imput from people saying that they would love to do the ace race at young park. I have quite a few ideas of things that I would like to do for this day. Also Drew would dig any help or support your willing to throw in.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:17:20 PM by Eric »

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 07:18:26 PM »
Okay, This is Eric Kolkmeier. A little confusion on which E is being addressed. Tim is out on the Ace Race this year, and it looks like I am too. I was thinking about doing one the  second weekend in September, but I will be out of town so much I really don't think I can put on one to better last year's. And if I don;t have the time/energy to better it, I am not doing it.

A few words of advice. If you want to put one on, it doesn't have to be a Discraft event. Last year was great, but so many people wanted to throw whatever they wanted, and I agree. You can provide a disc or a tee or lunch or beverages for a lesser entry and give back more to the players. That is a if it is designed to be a player's event. I had a blast being creative on the course design and got lots of feedback for it. The point is to make the format creative. So many people have told me Ace Races are mediocre because of a lack of creativity and fun. Both Discraft and Innova have competitive sponsor packages.Rick has always been super helpful as well. I am also willing to help out if I can. Email me if needed. ekolkmeier@hotmail.com

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:54 AM »
I think the idea of having everyone throw the same kind of disc is a good one, especially a new disc no one else has ever thrown. It sort of evens the playing field. It's a unique event that way. If people throw whatever they want it's just a regular tourney on a really short course. Just my $.02. Hard telling if I'd be able to play in it or not anyway.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:28 AM »
I agree with Kevin.  Use the same disc please for this event.  The knowledge that very few people have had it in their hands in advance is a good one.

You don't have to use tee pads for an ace race.  Ideally in my mind nothing should be over 150' at all, and the fun at Swope was that you can see everyone very easily.  Blue Springs may be a little hard to do that.....But you could do some fun shots out there I am sure as well.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
I agree with Kevin.  Use the same disc please for this event.  The knowledge that very few people have had it in their hands in advance is a good one.

You don't have to use tee pads for an ace race.  Ideally in my mind nothing should be over 150' at all, and the fun at Swope was that you can see everyone very easily.  Blue Springs may be a little hard to do that.....But you could do some fun shots out there I am sure as well.

Swope is ideal with the large amounts of land we have, and the ability to make 18+ short shots.  Last year, we had 21 holes ranging from 70' to 230'.  I sent Eric my number, and if he would like to run it, I have no problem assisting him with course preparation.

-Chris

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »
I think the idea of having everyone throw the same kind of disc is a good one, especially a new disc no one else has ever thrown. It sort of evens the playing field. It's a unique event that way. If people throw whatever they want it's just a regular tourney on a really short course. Just my $.02. Hard telling if I'd be able to play in it or not anyway.

"Back in the day" Ben Hanson ran a "One-Disc Wango" and it didn't matter which disc you used. I found putting rather difficult with a mini, however...
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."