Author Topic: Course Improvements Fund Raiser Tournament September 18th  (Read 2109 times)

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Course Improvements Fund Raiser Tournament September 18th
« on: August 13, 2010, 01:17:25 PM »
September 18th Fundraiser tournament planned for Old Pike.  The purpose is to put all funds into course improvements, specifically concrete tee pads!  Once we get real tee pads, we hope to host periodic traditional tournaments as well as charity events.   

Tentative Schedule:  8:30 Registration
                            10:00 First round, singles format divided by divisions
                            noonish:  Lunch provided
                            1:30 ish   Second Round
                            Afterwards swimming and cannonball contest.

Entry will include a custom Old Pike disc for all who pre-register.  (Initially, the on hand stock will be limited to the first 50 entries.), Lunch provided, swimming afterwards, and a one day family swimming pass good through June 2011.

Prizes for CTP and longest drive. 

Cost:  $25 for pre-registration, which  is appreciated so we can plan for food, number of life guards needed, etc. 
Family members welcome to swim for $2 fee. 

Please come out for a day of fun and help us get this course completed!

Additional details to follow. . . Ted K. (of the cookie cutter fame) is making up a flyer. 

Also, come out for doubles league Tuesday night.  We plan to cook up some ribs in honor of Riley's last night before leaving for college.  Let us know if you are coming so we can bring enough food.  We will ask for a couple bucks donation to help with the cost of the meat.  Kevin and I have been funding the food after league so that 100% of league money goes to course improvements.  Please feel free to bring a side dish or chips if you like.   Look forward to seeing you there!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 08:54:53 PM by Kevin Montgomery »

drummerjh

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Course Improvements Fund Raiser Tourament September 18th
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »
VERY COOL!!! Here's my problem. My work schedule consists of Friday-Monday, 6am-4pm. I would like to come and help out as much as possible with course development and whatnot, however I work when everyone else is available. Any suggestions? ??? Give me some dates and times of when you would like some extra help and I'll be there. Tuesdays are good for me since that is my only scheduled day-off. I work a part-time job on Wed & Thurs, but that's flexible if need be... just let me know.
Well, that went a long way the wrong way.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 04:01:27 PM »
Hit me up if you need help with t-pad shapes, sizes and concrete amounts!

Dan
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:12:48 AM »
Thanks, Dan!  We appreciate your offer for assistance.  That would be great if you could give us some insight on concrete amounts, best configuration, etc.  I am not sure what a rough cost estimate would be for concrete.  My impression is that each pad would take about a yard of concrete if it is a decent sized pad.  But, that is a wild guess on my part, and it seems the super pads at cliff drive probably used more like two yards of concrete.   

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:59:40 AM »
right on the button with the amounts Mike.  Depending on the size you can go as big or small as needed.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:00:10 AM »
This will give you a nice start on your project Mike...again...hit me up if I can help!

Looking forward to the 169 Showdown one of these days!

Waterworks
Old Pike
Smithville DG Complex

Gonna be a blast!

Designers and all interested parties- Below are calculations for the cost of concrete, based on $110 per cubic yard. I think we can do better then that but for the purpose of bugeting, we can use these numbers. This does not include form wood, rebar or wire mesh and labor. (we do not need to be concerned on labor charges at this time!)

Based on a slab 3.5" thick-

Based on a slab 5.5" thick-
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
That info is excellent!  Thanks for the detailed break down.

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
Things are shaping up nicely for the fundraiser on September 18th.  We would like to thank our early pad sponsors:  The Godfather (Pete Cashen) and Rambo (an old friend who passed through town, played Old Pike, and offered to sponsor a hole).  For anyone interested in making a permanent contribution to the course, please adopt a hole if you can.  The cost of one yard of concrete is about $100 and that should buy concrete for a pad about five ft by 12 ft.  Its an opportunity to make a lasting contribution and have your name associated a tee pad. 

Also, special thanks to the National Golf Club, who is providing numerous prizes including a round for four people to play that lesser golf sport (some refer to as ball golf) at the Deuce.   I am still working on more prizes, so if anyone has any disc related, golf related, sports related, shark related, gift certificate related, or any unique prizes, please let me know so we can add it to contest prizes or players' packs.  Does anyone have a spare cannon ball lying around the house? 

Ted has helped us make up some flyers that we will post at various courses; but, the original logistics are the same. 
You can register on line at Discgolfdicks.com thanks to Disc Parker.  Also, you can register at Tuesday doubles, or the snack bar on the weekends.  Or, if you see me, Kevin, or Ted during the week, we can sign you up. 

If you have questions, please let Ted or me (Mike T) know.  Let's get rolling on these tee pads!

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
Online registration will be up tomorrow evening at the latest.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »
Thanks, Dick!   

We got a couple more prize sponsors today.  Brian Palmer (Calloway golf on line gift certificate) and The Cafe at BriarCliff. 

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 08:43:04 PM »
More good news!  Thanks to our new tee pad sponsor: Ben Hansen, who is sponsoring the pad on the original two on behalf of Claymark Homes. 

In addition, special thanks to Disc Glover, who has adopted a tee pad and sign for $200.  He said he didn't want anyone else on the sign for his tee pad; so, he wanted to buy the concrete and the sign.  It will interesting to see what name he comes up with for the hole.   Thanks to both of you for helping us get a great start towards getting this course finished the right way!   

If anyone is interested in adopting a hole to help improve it.  Or adopting a hole with concrete and sign, please let me know.   Ultimately, we hope to have benches, bag holders, etc on every hole.  But, one step at a time.     

Also, a new pin setting today on hole 9 (the hole shooting back down towards the overflow pool from the pond.)   

hyzerponix

Re: Course Improvements Fund Raiser Tournament September 18th
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
So $200 to adopt a hole, then? And that will pay for the concrete for the pad as well?

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
Adoption a hole could take many forms.  The cost for concrete will depend on the size of the pad, and we haven't priced signs yet.  But $200 should buy a tee sign and a yard of concrete, which would build a pad 3.5 inches thick and about 5 by 12 feet.  Some of the pads could be smaller and some may warrant different dimensions or unique pads such as a wedge or fan shape.   

It would be great for people to adopt a hole financially or just help finish and maintain a hole.  A lot of the holes still need clearing around the edges and amenities like benches, trash cans, bag holders, etc.  But, concrete pads and tee signs would give us the core items for playing and the other items are finishing touches. 

I plan to adopt the hole with the knotty tree and Ben Hansen expressed interest in buying the pad for the original hole two, which would probably be the best hole 1.  Glover likes the lake shot.  (That hole could use two or three pads for variety; but, we wouldn't need full size pads for the short shots.)

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »
Online Registration is now up....   

http://www.discgolfdicks.com/Events.html
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Today is the last day for Online Registration.   I will take this down around 10pm tonight.   
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...