Author Topic: Driver Comparison  (Read 632 times)

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
Driver Comparison
« on: September 21, 2010, 07:53:05 AM »
I was wondering if any of you could give me a comparison on drivers.   Currently I've been throwing a star sidwinder, and have been looking for a Gateway driver that is of equal/better comparison to it.   I've looked at disc flight charts, and am still a bit confused.   Any suggestions/incite?
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Driver Comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 07:55:17 AM »
As far as I know, Gateway has never made anything nearly as understable as a Sidewinder.

I have heard that the first run baby blue Illusions have some nice turn, but you've got to throw them very hard to make them do that.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 08:54:21 AM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:38:34 AM by Kevin Montgomery »
espouse elucidation

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:33:06 AM »
Gateway doesn't really make understable discs; they make things that go straight.  Both the Assassin and Apache are less overstable than other things they make, but probably more overstable than you're looking for.  Their flight is more TL like than Sidewinder.

Gotta Go Gotta throw has a nice flight chart that goes across all companies.  It's set up a little differently than Innova's 4 number rating system, but still quite useful.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 09:47:38 AM »
I've looked over the flight chart you linked, just having a hard time as to which driver i should pick up.  Or maybe I should just say F-it, and continue using what i'm already decent with. 

Also:
[url][/http://gatewayunderground.com/blog/about/url]

that link didn't work
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »
if you feel that you can control the discs you have somewhat, it's probably better to really dial in the ones you know.

i believe stancil johnson refers to "discosis" as the belief that there's some magic driver that will give you 450 foot drives regardless of bad technique.  if you really want distance, a disc won't give it to you; practice and clean technique will.

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
I'm not worried about hit the 450 mark.  I'm still trying to consistantly hit the 300 mark.  I appreciate everyone's advice.  Thank you!
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
I'm not worried about hit the 450 mark.  I'm still trying to consistantly hit the 300 mark.  I appreciate everyone's advice.  Thank you!

if you're truly worried about hitting 300', keep it simple.  buzz, teebird/tl, sidewinder, maybe even a valkyrie.  concentrate on using your body as a whip; don't just strong arm it. 

i'm sure if i start talking technique, timko will post a link to discgolfreview.com.  their forums are great resources for technique questions, critiques and suggestions.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:39:04 AM »
I've looked over the flight chart you linked, just having a hard time as to which driver i should pick up.  Or maybe I should just say F-it, and continue using what i'm already decent with. 

Also:
[url][/http://gatewayunderground.com/blog/about/url]

that link didn't work

Try it now.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:56:15 AM »
K-Mont = moderator of the year, I have a god like awesomely flippy illusion, probably one of the few discs that i throw that are too good for league/tournament play, they just go too dang far, it's an arian roller that can roll over a stack of 12 railroad ties climb a 200 ft sycamore and finish with a green-seeking spike hyzer. Dr. Seuss was speechless.
espouse elucidation