Author Topic: 2010 Club Championships - Oct. 2nd - 3rd  (Read 10035 times)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: 2010 Club Championships - Oct. 2nd - 3rd
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »
Jeez... gloom and doom. It won't be that bad I don't think. But, if you are coming from the KCMO side and want to avoid race and RenFest traffic completely here is what you do....

Get off at I-70 and 57th Street and go south less than a block to K-32/Kaw Drive (it's right there running parallel to I-70)
Go west (right) on Kaw Drive all the way to 121st street.That's the road you would use to go to Camp Naish BSA camp. It'll be about 9 miles from 57th to 121st.
Then take 121st to your first left as it turns into 122nd and takes you to Riverview.
Left on Riverview takes you directly to the entrance of the park at #2 tee.

Of course, if you are coming from the south down I-435 just get off at K-32 and use the same route west. And if coming down K-7 from the south you can get off at K-32 and go east to 121st and take this back way in too. And, from the north, take I-635 south to I-70 west to the 57th Street exit. Country roads take me home..... to WyCo.

You will have much of the roadway to yourself using this route. It's a nice leisurely drive that shouldn't have much traffic. Speeds will range from 45 to 55 most of the way except for the actual back roads at 121st. Watch your speed in Edwardsville.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 02:08:33 PM by Kevin Montgomery »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
If you have not already Kevin would you kindly post these directions on the HOMEPAGE for people who don't read the Forum.   Just put WARNING Give yourself plenty of time to get to WYCO on Saturday or something with those directions?   I would much appreciate that.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 02:01:30 PM »
Drew and I are heading out today to "create" the Island hole.  Between our two ideas I think we'll have something cool.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 02:04:41 PM »
If you have not already Kevin would you kindly post these directions on the HOMEPAGE for people who don't read the Forum.   Just put WARNING Give yourself plenty of time to get to WYCO on Saturday or something with those directions?   I would much appreciate that.

Easier said than done. The link from the image you sent directs one to the image itself for printing. I have nowhere else convenient to post these links and text without writing some HTML that I don't want to mess with. Let's just hope people are smarter than we seem to be giving them credit for.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »

Easier said than done. The link from the image you sent directs one to the image itself for printing. I have nowhere else convenient to post these links and text without writing some HTML that I don't want to mess with. Let's just hope people are smarter than we seem to be giving them credit for.

What about start a topic with JUST the info on how to get around traffic and make it non reply and then create a link under the photo to that?   Or just assume they are intelligent :)
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 02:34:21 PM »
Jeez... gloom and doom. It won't be that bad I don't think.

Ditto dat! 

Just plan to get out to Wyco early.  You are going to want to have time to investigate #2 (new OB and pin), #9 (new tighter Island fairway OB) , #11 (tighter OB and Mando), #13 (OB w/island green at long pin) and #14 (new dam(n) pin).  You may be sorry if you don't check those out prior to the round.

I do hope the additional   >:( OB is marked well enough to be clearly visible from the tee boxes. Walking five holes to try to determine where to land before playing thirty six in a day isn't good on an ole mans hips.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 02:39:06 PM »
Nope.   We used a black sharpie
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
The added OB will be set up at PC Friday night before dark, so you might want to check it out before the round Saturday too. It's marked with little yellow tags on every one.  ???

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • Flock Kaw Chalka
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
Did anyone take pictures and send them to the WyCo Parks and Rec or let the needed powers know that we are not the damaging party?  It should fall on the scouts to repair the damaged land....be a good lesson for them as well.
DaBirdFatha
Bird > Word
Flockers Unite

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
Did anyone take pictures and send them to the WyCo Parks and Rec or let the needed powers know that we are not the damaging party?  It should fall on the scouts to repair the damaged land....be a good lesson for them as well.

Amen to that!
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »

The scouts just used the place as a parking lot with the parks department's blessing. At this point I'm not blaming the scouts. They had an event at Camp Naish with an attendance approaching 11,000. They weren't allowing any private vehicles in the camp and were shuttling people from the "parking lot" at WyCo. I suspect the parks department made some money off of the use of our course as a parking lot and the scouts were just doing what they needed to do, park vehicles where they were told to park.

I think the fact that KCK Parks gave our club two days notice that our course would be used for this event and then didn't even say how the land would be used speaks volumes about how they feel about disc golf in their parks. I assumed it would be some sort of camping event, but instead it was a big parking lot.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
Tin soldiers and boy scouts parking,
we're finally on our own,
this autumn I hear the drumming,
grass dead out at ole Wyco...

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 07:22:49 AM »
110th st DOES NOT GO THROUGH TO i-70 AT ALL.  DO NOT ATTEMPT . 

They are doing construction and have ripped that portion of the road up.   

The BEST way into and out of the park is the following..

From 435 -  Take K-32 West (just South of I-70) on 435.   

Take that to 4th street.  Take a right (north)  Follow that road all the way until you can no longer go forward.  This is the Edwardsville Rd. that Kevin spoke of in the directions before.   Though off of K-32 it is 4th street.  It is a stop light and very easy to find.  There will be a road closed sign but it will go through to riverview.   No farther than that.  So this is the best way because you can not get lost this way.   When you come to a complete stop at the construction T take a left (west).   This is Riverview and will dump you right into the park.

From K-7 - Take K-32 East.  Then take a Left on 4th street and follow the same directions.   

When you leave the park I suggest going out the same way.   When you get to K-32 take a right and go to k-7 and take that straight to Olathe.   

I drove this last night to make sure these were solid and I think if you plan on getting there with no troubles this is the way to go.   No on will be on this road because it does not connect to I-70 with the construction.  NO RACE TRAFFIC GUARANTEED.

Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 08:48:55 AM »
Did you try 121st? It's hard to get lost that way too but the road is less than ideal. I think my directions are more fun. Live a little.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
121st is ok.   Right now 4th street (Edwardsville Dr) Ends where you need to take a Left.   So you can't miss your turn is all.
Dick Parker
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru