Author Topic: United States Disc Golf Championships... October 6-9th, Roc Hill, South Cakalaky  (Read 2769 times)

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I hope you shoot well TanK, and I am also rooting for: Fred Garver the MO exemption winner, and George Smith /Nikko/EMAC, any other pseudo locos I'm missing??

Kevin Babbit..

Thanks for the love... teeing in 10 hours.... Lets do this!!!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
I hope you shoot well TanK, and I am also rooting for: Fred Garver the MO exemption winner, and George Smith /Nikko/EMAC, any other pseudo locos I'm missing??

Kevin Babbit..

Thanks for the love... teeing in 10 hours.... Lets do this!!!!!

Dude.....you know you got this!  Gett'r Done!!!
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Jeremy Rusco is playing too. He is a semi-local. Go team DD!
PDGA 39363

coops

Rusco tore it up... and many others are really struggling and some of the (Jenkins and Doss) complained about it heavily in post round interviews. It is possible though, look at Nikko shooting that 61. Did people just play badly or is it really that hard?

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Rusco tore it up... and many others are really struggling and some of the (Jenkins and Doss) complained about it heavily in post round interviews. It is possible though, look at Nikko shooting that 61. Did people just play badly or is it really that hard?

Stroke and distance is the eff'n dumbest format EVER!!!!!

In related news, Chris heeren got out of explorer to get a picture of the fountains and club house and ghost ride'd it right into the lake... Crazy!!!
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
Wow, anyone else watching or following the championship today? Go check out the leader board and checkout all the double digit scores on certain holes?

They were broadcasting #18 for a while and I watched a couple people throw 4 or 5 in a row OB!

I guess Tank said it best!
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

coops

Stroke and distance is the eff'n dumbest format EVER!!!!!

In related news, Chris heeren got out of explorer to get a picture of the fountains and club house and ghost ride'd it right into the lake... Crazy!!!

Isn't the championship supposed to be about the grind, both mental and physical, and how each player deals with the toughest course in the world?

thankyoupeter

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Can someone explain what stroke and distance means?  I've heard it mentioned many times, but never a clear explanation.

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
If you go OB, you throw again from where you threw the last shot. You do NOT get to move to the last spot it was IB... e.g. You throw your tee shot OB, you must re-tee, shooting your third shot.
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Stroke and Distance is good on paper but rarely does it translate well to disc golf.  I find it better as an option versus something forced on the player.   I love the tight OB but why punish a player more than once.   I find it a little silly.   They have spotters all of the course marking whether you go OB or not.  Why not just have them tell you you crossed here or there and let the people play the game.   
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

coops

Boy, looking at some of the scoring one some of the holes, I feel no remorse for taking pleasure in the tough golf that was out there. Players like Nikko and Climo and Barry are proving that, not only can that course be beaten, but that you can do it either by smart play or by taking the appropriate risks. Nikko went for 10, huge risk, but he's good enough to do it and he got it. And Barry took a 10 and still finished at 3 down. This kind of penalty is really appropriate to determine who is playing the best golf, not just who can execute the most superhuman shots. It really tests a man's head when you beat him down taking a big number and force him not only to come back from it but also to really excel after it.
And I understand what you are saying about the spotters Dick, but really, this format only works when you have a lot of spotters, otherwise it would take A LOT longer that even those super-rounds yesterday.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
I think this year's format is exactly what Harold Duvall wanted.  I am SURE that after Anthon scorched the course last year, Harold's first thought was, "that's never going to happen again".  Thus, stroke and distance.

I love it.  Besides, when I watch ball golf's equivalent, the U.S. Open, it's not unusual for the winning score to be over par.  Beating the course at an event of this magnitude should be very difficult.  It's risk/reward.  Simple as that.  Take a risk, get a 10 on a hole.  Play conservative, take your par or bogey and go on.

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
After player after player go OB on #18 I also watch George Smith place a perfect drive followed by a better upshot to finish with a bird!

It seems with all the tight OB, coupled with the stroke and distance penalty, requires a lot more mental versus physical skills.
Like #5, so many guys were trying to bomb a second shot over the corner only to find the water. The risk/reward factor again.

If nothing else it's fun to watch!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:16:37 PM by CD »
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
quality broadcast compared to last year, Jussi = no bogeys, only player i believe. broadcast needs billy crump. looks like TanK is off to a good round 2 start, -1 thru 6 holes. Jose Madrid ace on hole 3
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 10:49:46 AM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
quality broadcast compared to last year, Jussi = no bogeys, only player i believe. broadcast needs billy crump. looks like TanK is off to a good round 2 start, -1 thru 6 holes. Jose Madrid ace on hole 3

I think the stroke and distance penalty is too austere for every hole, and I suspect it tends to get in the way of a person's enjoyment of the course. The risk is too high and will force more conservative (and less pleasing for spectators) shots. It's way too harsh on holes like 5, 13, 18, which are probably the most fun holes to watch out there. Hole 17 was originally stroke and distance, and it's nice to see it back again there. I truly detested the buncr rule.  It would be interesting if they played the first and third rounds stroke and distance, and then rounds 2 and 4 by the regular rules of disc golf (except maybe for holes 10 and 17).

As far as the broadcast goes, while a little better videoing than last year, the personnel is still passable to below average with two exceptions: Crazy John, who unfortunately was only there for the President's Cup, and Dave Greenwell. Greenwell needs a strong play by play person to be at his best, and Terry Miller is not a very good anchor. He should stay with one-on-one reporting (and do better research before interviewing). Paul Belyea and Greenwell were excellent together last year. Hopefully, Paul will show up again this year. I also think Jim Oates is good, and of course, Billy Crump is very good at interviewing players.

I think disc golf will never reach its marketing potential as long as it pretends to be like ball golf or strives to be more like ball golf. (Why would we call something the Presidents Cup when that name is already in use in ball golf, which actually has historical connections with real Presidents?)  While our diversity is growing, we're still not country club types, and we're not collar shirt folks (in general.) I think we need to embrace our counter-culture heritage and it's tattooed and pierced heirs, and promote the sport as being a more alternative, environmentally friendly, and inclusive version of golf.  Boarding has not been hurting for sponsors with its less-traditional image. Also, I'm a firm believer if you forget who you are, someone will remind you. Also, you can put a collar shirt on a pig, and it's still a pig. 

Even though I don't think the broadcast is that good, I did pay them $20. Anyone else pay? Professional disc golf will not happen until people find it entertaining enough to pay.

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com