Author Topic: ???? Bag Tag Tourney ????  (Read 4375 times)

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
???? Bag Tag Tourney ????
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 12:54:10 PM »
do i have to pay for it with my dues or can i just stay out of all that?
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 01:17:51 PM »
Quote from: "tkienzle"
do i have to pay for it with my dues or can i just stay out of all that?

That hasn't been decided.

Keep in mind people that the prices posted from Jack earlier are for Bag Tags of the past.  We are going to make this years Tags cheaper $5 with a couple dollars going towards the club, not into a pot for the winner at the end of the year.
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

ststephan

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
takin the money out was the original idear, and I would agree with that.  The $1 per challenge was just recommended and encouraged, but not mandatory.

I personally do not like the tournament idea of putting all the tags in a hat and distributing them out based on score for the round.  Couple of reasons:

1.  Ties...pretty big pain with all the people potentially shooting the same scores.
2.  In a tourney you are already competing against everyone else for lowest score.  Having tag challenges separate allows you to still challenge people even if you are out of the running for pay out in the tourney  (i.e. shot like crap all tournament, and you get to challenge #1 and you beat him and win in the last round)
3.  Could possibly ensure that no matter what, at every tournament the top tags will end up with the pro's.
4.  Different course lay outs for divisions...depending on the tourney.

Not a bad idea for a Tag only event, or for distributing tags at the beginning of the year.  You'd think the rules would be very simple and easy...then you start trying to find ways of making everyone happy, and covering all the strange questions that can (and usually do) come up.  Ya' just gotta' figure that you won't make everyone happy, and you just need to make it so that it's fair to the most people.  I know there was a lot of people who wanted limits on the number of spots you could jump in a single round, etc (protecting the top players and their tags), and how do you keep the top tags playing, and the guy with #1 from winning the tag and dissappearing and only accepting challenges from the lower players...

peace

ford

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »
Quote from: "ststephan"
, and how do you keep the top tags playing, and the guy with #1 from winning the tag and dissappearing and only accepting challenges from the lower players...

peace

ford

Keep them playing by having them go into a hat at tournaments.  I can't imagine the #1 Tag player in KC not showing up for any tournaments the rest of the season, he/she may go into hiding for league but not league and tournaments.  Ties would go back to the players according to their previous tag.  I have a document that was provided by another Club that makes this part of the event very easy.

True about the top tags being with the pros, but how would that be avoided in league play?  Protecting the top players sounds a bit far fetched.  If you're the top player you shouldn't have a problem defending your status, and if you loose, this gives you more drive to obtain that spot again.

ststephan

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 02:43:25 PM »
heh...you actually answered rhetorical questions, what we ran up against, and just things to think about...

I just don't see how putting all the tags in a hat at the beginning of a tourney solves the keeping people playing, and I just personally don't like it...everyone else might love it though...so what do i know?  Anyway...

Every player playing in the Tournament would turn in their Tag at the beginning of the event. A Tag Keeper (myself or someone else) would then write down who turned in what number. After the even the tags are re-dispensed to everyone according to low score. This would help mix-up the tags a little.

If this is what you are talking about on the tourneys then there's an issue, and would require divisional tags.  Many events (not all) different divisions play different lay outs and even different courses, and you cannot distribute the tags back out based on overall score for the event.  Of course, I do like my chances at Swope Short vs LaRon at BV Long....I'd still probably lose, but I do like my chances a lot better.   :lol:
It also sounds like a ton of unnecessary busy work.

We had it so that challenges were mandatory at local events (tourneys and leagues), so even if you aren't playing leagues, when you get to a local tourney you had to challenge.  If someone else with a tag is on your card you automatically have a challenge.  Off card challenges at leagues and tourneys were mandatory, and on a first come first served basis.  You could only have one off card challenge, and the first person to ask you for a challenge got it (Cannot pick and choose who you challenge, and challenges could only be made at the course before t-off).

These were more or less individual challenges.  You head to head with someone else.  You are already competing against everyone else in the tourney (your division anyway) for lowest score.  The tag challenges were to add a different kind of pressure to each round.

Limiting challenges:  there are actually pretty good arguments for both sides of this.  Forces you to work your way through the ranks.  But it gets rid of the craziness factor that is really kind of fun...The #55 guy never gets to challenge the #1 guy...and you never know...the #55 could be unconscious that round and the #1 guy could be off his game...and WHAMO...what a switch?  I guess it only really matters at the end of the year anyway

Just trying to give a little input and thougths on what we ran into before.  The simpler the better.  Good luck.  Have fun.  Go all in...oh wait...that's poker...wrong website.  Come on Pocket Chubbies!!!  hahahahaha

Peace!

Ford

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 11:24:54 AM »
After hearing a little feedback on the Bottle Opener, they are too small, they evoke drinking bottles on the course etc, I've been looking into a couple other ideas:

One is the stainless steel variety at $4.50 each they are hardly inexpensive as the Aluminum bottle openers are but they look sweet:

The other idea is a Plastic tag, these are cheap, and would allow us to have Full Color logo/Artwork.  I dont know if these can be customized with individual numbers yet, but I have a call in with that question.

What do you all think of those?  Any ideas for some cool 2006 artwork?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 11:40:56 AM »
Something with scantily dressed females would be good.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »
Quote from: "Tom"
Something with scantily dressed females would be good.

Ummmm, good idea if you think we can get Hooters to sponser the 2006 Bag Tag Challenge.  But we may need to go a different route this year Tom :)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 12:36:40 PM »
I agree that we need to try a different route because the Hooters girls aren't scantily dressed enough...too much material in them uniforms, even though they do fit nice...haha...

On a serious note, I think we have enough people in the club that are artistic enough to make a bad ass design for tags, I'd say make it a competition for what's on the tag and give a good number to the winning design or even number one..????

Just an idea....
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 01:57:12 PM »
Plastic tags cannot be printed on both sides :( so we would need to devise a method of marking them ourselves whether it be stickers or Sharpie :( but they are still very feasible in price, and colorful.

ststephan

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
i tried to find the contact info in my files, but no luck.  You might look for 'the Kind' bag tag challenge on the pdga discussion board, or elsewhere.  The guy who runs that (if it is still going) is who I got the last tags from.  Pretty reasonable price (around $3.50 with different color options etc.).  But you may not be able to do any really cool artwork on them, and he may not be around anymore.  he's out of California.

peace!

Ford

MikeTeachKC

Sturdiness plus a quarters worth of though.
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 05:03:23 PM »
The plastic tags look good with all the color, but if they are being taken off and put back on your bag, how long will they last?  The stainless steel or aluminum would last much longer and you could use regular beaded chain (cheap and easily replaceable at Ace) if it broke.  The bottle opener is sort of neat, but I do agree with the person who said it sort of leads to bottles on the course (where they already are but do we want to push that image?).  And, though I like to look at attractive ladies, do we want that image and maybe drive some real females away?  What about the younger group just getting started?  Just food for thought.

I know I'd have a high number (and probably alwyas would <G>)  but I think it's a pertty cool idea and would go for it.  

Mike

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
The plastic tags use a nylon strap that has a buckle, my dad has some tags like those on his Ball Golf bag that he's had for years.  I think they would hold up at least a year, then we'll have new ones.

The Steel ones attach with a key ring type attachment.  I wouldn't want to use the Ball chain you're talking about just for the fact if it broke while you were on the course it could be very easy to loose the tag.

The real issue is what kind of artwork do we put on these?  Any ideas?

ststephan

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2006, 10:02:37 AM »
I would think that the plastic straps would wear out over the year of taking them off and putting them back on bags.  but they might not.

you can get some cheap carabiners (spelling?) from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. for pretty cheap.  I got them from Lowe's last time, and I think they were right around $1 each.

Artwork can get expensive...and the most important thing about the tag is the number anyway.

as always, just my humble opinions.

Peace!

Ford

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2006, 02:56:24 PM »
There are a few different club logos, like the one at the top of this page, available in high res.\ vector already.  

Club logo + Year + Number = Tag Art

-Sean