Author Topic: New guy: Michael Taylor  (Read 1817 times)

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New guy: Michael Taylor
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »
Just got back from playing old pike for the second time and it was a blast! Anyways thanks everyone again for replying and not scolding me :), and thanks Jack for the detailed break down. I have come to see you point on #3 but let me elaborate one more time from another angle if you don't mind and I will put it to rest. And again I have read all comments but still believe in my first statements and have not came to the dark side yet  ;D

1. The way the board sits now, it would be nearly impossible to gain a spot on the board being a novice or young member.

As everyone has said I and or anybody else that wants to run for a position should have a background of helping out the club. Granted I don't have a whole lot to bring to the table as a board member I would have asked to be a Sergeant at Arms if elected because I am new and wouldn't feel comfortable in a higher role. The problem with this is (think from my point of view) if I was let's say Bill Gates or Mark Funkhouser and could have a vital impact on this club and the sport in KC, I would get shot down just as fast running for the board. But if you put one of those people in a position to run for a Technology Officer or VP of MO it would probably go their way and have a great impact on the club and sport. And I understand I have not earned my stripes because I am new but a way to keep that in tact would make a minimum membership time (but that would still be leaving out newer players).

2. People that hold a position on the board can also be coordinators.

I understand that the people elected were voted in by the people and and they will do what is best for the club don't get me wrong. This was more of a precaution to let's say 8 of the 9 members on the board were also on the course committee for WW. I hope that it would not hurt the other courses but I could foresee players getting angry for WW have better facilities and or more money spent at that course. I do not have a major problem with it but I have heard chatter about it on the course as soon as I heard about the new course committees. I think that course committees if ran correctly could really take a load off of one persons back running a course but I can also see problems with it.

And Jack I did say it was okay after a few times of raising my hand and went out to smoke. I was not mad at you, I understand you had several people shouting at you at once and that was what I was most fed up with. But obviously by the responses here and at the meeting it would have done little to change peoples minds. And I have not went to the board to ask if I could help but anybody that knows me, knows that I always help Jim at Swope when his is picking up trash or anything else he needs help with. And I participated in Beginners League (I would love it if more experienced players came out to help teach) every week we had it (and still have a group of people that show up) and a few other leagues. And have played in every tournament since LDO that I could possibly make. So I am trying to earn my stripes a little at a time, but it would be great to see some breaks for people that are young and help them get involved. Since this one was pretty long too, Thanks for reading :)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:50 PM »
Michael,

I have been throwing frisbees for nearly 50 years but I too was a new member to the EC... last year.

One year later, with a few successful projects under my belt...and I only got 22 votes yesterday. I was the last one to make it...that kinda freaked me out a bit but also reminded me, that I am the "new guy" from last year.

1 Find your passion, 2 get involved, 3 nail the production and 4 have a good time.

Hell do that (complete the 4 steps above) and I nominate you next year myself sir!

Thanks for everything everybody does.
It takes a village to keep this sport growing!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:42:33 PM by Dan Weinert »
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:06 PM »
Sorry I couldn't attend the meeting.  Having spent many years as Prairie Center CC and running the Monday night league also for many years, I miss it.  Don't hesitate to call me if you need volunteer help at any of the courses, spotting at tournaments, etc.  Bob Hayett-913-940-3020...

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 07:48:28 PM »
Thanks Dan and congrats on being elected to the board, but I am not causing a stir for myself (this is the only example I can give). I just would like for people to have a chance with what they can bring to the club. As stated before I don't think I have alot to bring to the table as a board member and going into the meeting I wasn't planning on running. But since I am watching the Cowboys get mangled like always the only thing I can think of is they aren't sending in all their veterans to play, they have their best squad available rookies and all.Edit: Minus the part about the cowboys sucking this year, but you get the point. Look at the Chiefs :) I think that reflects my views the best.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:51:55 PM by WrongfulLeaf »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
1. The way the board sits now, it would be nearly impossible to gain a spot on the board being a novice or young member.
This is drastically different than your original comment.
1. The elections that were held tonight were for a group of 9 people to be on a board, and from those 9 people THEY would select the appropriate person to run each of the positions available.
I will try to answer this new question with the comment that others will mirror, you do what you can to get noticed, and you will do a good job by supporting and offering services to help.  Jumping in and helping to run leagues, work on organization for work days at the course, show up and help at other workdays.  Overall it takes notice from more than just the message board to gain the approval of this little group that we have that come to the meetings to elect.  In fact one method that is sorely under-utilized is as being a new member, get more people to sign up to the club and then ask them for the vote as a board member at the next meeting.  We have a TON of work to do in garnering the support of the casual golfer to help our club grow.  I would challenge you to do that as a calling card.  At the next elections, you would simply stand up and say, you 30 new people that joined the club because of my instigation, please vote for me.  'Nuff said at that point.  THat would be awesome, and I personally don't have the time to drive out new membership unfortunately, this may be an option to get you in faster if that is your desire. 

I think that again the comment I made about speaking clearly about your strengths during the elections, and then again during the Board voting for the position is an excellent idea to possibly swing votes your direction.  As indicated by me last night, I am not running for an office, I am simply on the board to help through the transition at this point (of course I have been saying this since 2004 that I was done...so I waffle quite large on my stance...I was close last year though.... :o ) and as such even running for the board, to simply sit on it and help will be an option in the future as long as there are more than 7 on the board.  This may enable people to run that want to gain more exposure and experience about the processes that go in place prior to running for an office, the first year, as such their second year, they may feel that they can offer more even midterm for them as officers are elected yearly now, instead of every 2 years.

As Keizer indicated though its not all fun and games at the EC meetings.  I would venture out a bit that realistically most of the board members will spend close to 20-30 hours a month towards the disc golf work that needs to be done at a minimum, some more.  I hope this helps answer the second part of Question #1, though unforseen.... ;D

2. People that hold a position on the board can also be coordinators.
I understand that the people elected were voted in by the people and and they will do what is best for the club don't get me wrong. This was more of a precaution to let's say 8 of the 9 members on the board were also on the course committee for WW. I hope that it would not hurt the other courses but I could foresee players getting angry for WW have better facilities and or more money spent at that course.

AS a rule any change to the faclilities of a course are typically done on the Park & Recreation level.  We very rarely will exercise money on courses that are of such a significance that it impedes another course.  We spent quite a bit of money and time to create tee signs for all the courses prior to worlds, develop new placements, were fortunate enough to receive new baskets Down Under, I got another grant from PIAC for Swope for new tee areas.  I personally think that Swope (is in need of a complete Re-design IMO) is a course that is significantly in need of additional funding for trees as we have lost so many trees out there due to natures rodents that it has altered the entire course. 

I plan on seeing how funding is going to happen in the KCMO side now that Prop A passed.  It will suck for disc golf.  That is money that will no longer be available and has been the reason that we have courses in Kansas City Missouri for every course except Swope.  Water Works was from a PIAC grant, Cliff Drive was from a PIAC grant, Blue Valley was from a PIAC grant, the additional $120,000 for the 2 new courses in Blue Valley is from a PIAC GRANT.  That money is now no longer going to be available.  I am uncertain how new courses within the Kansas City parks is going to happen now.  It will be interested to see what plans groups will take to get funding for community projects now.  Speaking of time given to the sport without playing it, I can attest that this will now absorb probably at least 8-12 hours/month for me to follow other leaders in community organizations to determine the best method to garner that support.

My other thought on this is that with elections every year should something like this happen the election process should eliminate this consensus the following election cycle.  I can see the argument here though, but I tend to think the best of people, yes that does burn me often.......

I can understand your concern for this in an extreme case as something that could happen.  Realistically I do not personally think that would ever be the case.  WaterWorks is a great example as it is a course that is loved by all.  The thought of collusion to a course had not entered my mind from that standpoint.  My thought is that anyone that dedicated to give their time for free to the organization to run for an office should would also have enough integrity to ensure that no course is isolated and looked at in favor of any others.

But I do have a preference of courses, and I also know that some P&R departments are easier to work with to help us develop courses, as such I personally think that the smaller communities that have more P&R support should receive less than financial support from the club than those larger ones that tend to neglect their parks in trying times, like our current financial state.  Budgets get cut, and once something is cut its very difficult to regain it.  SO the Board needs to take this into consideration when looking to extend financial support to the courses that it supports.

Again as I indicated, I voted for ya.  I already like the thinking that you are making me ponder just with the posts.  I would imagine that to be the case on the meetings as well.

Fear not.  The best thing to do is to continue to help, and not look at this as a discouragement, but moreso as an opportunity to show how to engage and make a difference that must be recognized.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 08:51:06 PM »
I think one point being missed here is there is a lot of new blood on the new board.  Myself, Dan Weinert, Jen Brockman, and I believe John Theiss were all newbies to the Executive Committee this past year.  Three of which were Course Coordinators and not in the upper levels of office.  Chris Timko is relatively new in town as well.  Jack Lowe said clearly saturday night that his intention of running for the board was solely to finish the 501 c3 project he and Tavish have been spear-heading thus far.  He also stated that he wants to be one of the two at-large members and wants out at the next election.  With Rick and Kevin stepping aside, along with Jack in a year, there are many voids that we all are going to have to help fill, regardless of election results.  

Speaking only for myself, I spent a lot of this year listening and learning and feel now is the time for me to take the next step in helping this club.  We spent much of the last year recovering from Worlds and didn't get to focus on much else.  I have a list of things I would like to see happen and will be approaching those in the next year or two.  I don't want to be around forever.  Maybe one or two terms before taking a break or retiring completely.

As for the course committee's, I think you've missed our intentions.  In the past, a single course coordinator has been both organizing course work and dealing with the politics of the club as a member of the executive committee.  Two major problems with this system were apparent.  The old executive committee was too large to align schedules to meet.  Also, many people are good at or have time for one aspect or the other and the ball gets dropped on half of their duties.  

Course Committees more or less already exist at every course in town.  I have five regulars that help out at Cliff Drive.  Would rather have twenty five.  Though we are taking away an official title, pretty much every course will develop their own leader.  We can't have twenty sets of keys floating around for every course.  There are other duties though such as work days, regular trash removal, leagues, monitoring thread of message board, and communicating with many people including casual players, league participants, the new BOD, parks departments, local businesses, and neighborhood associations.  The fact is this takes a lot of time on top of a person's job and family requirements.  We recognize that in most cases that one person can't do it all and don't see the need to award one person a title.

As for one course receiving more money or having better facilities, i have no problem with that.  As it currently stands, WaterWorks is our baby.  It gets the most out of town visitors and brings in the most league money hands down.  It should receive more money in my opinion.  Unfortunately, its not that simple.  Because we work with so many different parks systems, our courses will never be equal.  Even within one jurisdiction, they are not treated equally (look at Rosie vs. WyCo).  Within KCMO, WaterWorks houses mainly only the Disc Golf course, where as Cliff Drive and Swope have many other uses and therefore many other money streams.  The suburbs generally appear to have more money than the big city but there is money out there, you just have to know who to ask.  Hopefully this new 501 c3 will open up new revenue streams for the club regardless of the size of the municipality.  

I would like to join with the others in saying thank you for your inquiries and to invite you to attend any and all meetings.  I also hope to see you, Rhonda, Brad, and ten new others on the ballot next year.    -Drew

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:57:08 PM by twoDornottwoD »
Drew D Neitzel

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »
Thanks again Jack for giving me insight on the new bylaws and the reasoning behind them, and everyone else for that matter. I am still personally not sold on the idea but I will let bygones be bygones and let rest for now. I changed my phrasing on #1 the second time but still was shooting for the same outcome (that being voting per position would be more beneficial) just with a different angle. I love everything about disc golf and the comradely that goes along with it and I don't want to see that change. And I will take you up on a meeting sometime (sadly not on Thursday I will out of town) and voice some ideas. If anyone else would like to hop in and hijack my thread with my ideas or ones I didn't mention please feel free to do so.

And as always Thanks for reading :)  

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
I think it has been great discussion again I thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns in a very appropriate manner. 

If you would look into many organizations I think that you will find that the BOards typically vote on positions within their board, and general membership typically does not vote for offices, we will be more closely aligned with the rest of the organizations out there.  In fact I am a board member of a couple of groups by simple acclimation as that is their process, its a 501c3 already.....they don't have a lot of membership, they have no dues to pay, and it is quite the large organization that has orchestrated over the last 10 years that I have been a part of it close to $30 million in appropriations to the area....it is a much larger group that affects more people than the disc golf group, but it is significantly smaller in size and orchestration than the KCFDC, which I have always been amazed at...

Again I think that there are plenty of items that many can do and cant because of time constraints.....I look forward to more people helping as we continue to grow, specifically with people to help and run PDGA events locally......I know that I didnt run any last year, I am on target to "run" the Wide Open-Accepting volunteers now for that one folks......I look forward to other people helping by not playing in the event, or helping right up to the event, or supporting it through cash donations (including fund raising discs)-

First though, lets break the bank on the Ice Bowl.  I say 500 people, and 2 days.......but then some may want 500 people 1 day......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 12:37:38 AM »
kevin lives in Sedalia now, and the years of service that he has given to the club are more than enough testament to his dedication to the club.  As Rick indicated last night Kevin has been the MVP of our club for years, though he is not interested in a position at this time on the Board.

Guess you didnt hear tha comment from Rick last night while he was thanking Kevin for years of service to the club.

Its ok...
I  heard Kevin's praises and cheered loudly. I failed to hear he was not running.
Steven Disc Glover

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
It isn't a popularity contest.   Chris and Dan would have never made it on the board if that were true.

Actually the people who got on the board are people who have

Helped out in our financial crisis after worlds.

Designed and installed a great brand new course in our community.

Helped create a Spreadsheet document to give all players in town a local rating.

Wrote new bylaws for a club to be recognized by the government.

Help Tavish write those :) 

Ran a Disc Golf Event for the entire Kansas City Community with food / music / fun for all.

and many more great things locally.   I just don't think these people are the most popular people in KC as far as disc golf goes but more the people who have made a difference locally and are recognized for that.   

Last year we had a big void in our EC .  We had to beg people to run .   This year with the new structure of the EC and  we have 8 qualified, not just popular, people sitting on the board who WANT to be there and are going to make a difference.   1 loafer..  but I got roped in :).

I think if we just elected people and they didn't do anything I would agree with your point.  And I do think people voted for who they knew.  But the reason they were known was because of the things they had done locally.    That's how they got their so called popularity.   

and

On your point about CC and EC members being a conflict of interest.   We have no personal interest with each course.  There might be a favorite for someone but there is no money invested toward that person to make something happen.  Nor will there be.  No compensation.   To argue that there is a conflict of interest isn't going to work because EVERYONE will have there favorite course and probably want to give more time and money to those places.   So if you have an opinion you have a conflict of interest?   If we say you can't be on a volunteer committee because your on the board that means we may not have anyone out taking care of the courses.  Unfortunately we don't have that many people jumping up and making that sacrifice.    The majority of our board is made up of people who have given countless hours to making our community better.   For no money what so ever.     

If someone gets paid to lobby for those courses then there would be a conflict.   I don't see that happening.   If they do then I finally found the right politics to get into.

I don't think I made a good argument here but I think there might be a point or two you could agree with .
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

BenC

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2010, 08:11:36 AM »
I have been following this thread waiting for somebody to change my mind about how I voted.  So far that has not happened.  Let me say I do believe it is a great thing the club is going to 501c3 it can mean really great things in the future.  I just had the opportunity to overhear some sidebars that I really brought on a lack of confidence.  I overheared a current board member say they were going to get elected to the new board and be a course coordinater.  If you were just on the board that is bringing this to the general assembly arent you supposed to know they were getting rid of course coordinators.  Is something else going on or does that person just not understand what is happening.  I did not vote for that person but they did get re-elected.
Reading this thread has also brought up some things that I have to respond to.  No one new could have been elected to the board that night.  How can anyone sway a vote with a two min. speach.  I don't think Jack only got two min. when he ran for the PDGA board and most people just go with they are comfortable with.  That might be something for the board to think about for next year.  People running for the board get a thread on the discussion board a month out to state their case and answer any question.
The people that got elected to the board will probably do what is best for the club.  Hopefully they will remember what is best for the club might not be what is best for disc golf in Kansas City.  There is a difference it is best when they go hand in hand but at times the tough decision needs to be made.  Lets not forget the casual player that we are trying to get hooked on this sport we love.
I voted and I will stand behind that vote it might have been wrong but so far it just looks like people have been drinking the kool-aid.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2010, 09:59:01 AM »
It isn't a popularity contest....Chris and Dan would have never made it on the board if that were true....

Uhhhh...thanks!

DcW  ;)
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2010, 10:04:01 AM »
To echo what Ben suggested, I hope that the new BOD will work on the election process. I knew that the process this first time would not be ideal. My concept of ideal would include written notice to the membership of the upcoming elections and a call for nominations that would be sent out 30 to 60 days before the actual vote. (Which also means that notice of the meeting would be greater than the one week that was given this year.) In this way, there would be time for candidates to campaign. Not sure if this method would eliminate a person's last minute decision to run made at the election meetings, but now that I think about it, this might be a good thing. While I still like the idea of holding the actual elections at the annual meeting, those who cannot attend should have a way of voting. Again, something for the new Board to work on.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
I think that Ben and Rick bring up a great point, and also sidestep my #1 problem (in a good way) I had with the bylaws. And honestly I didn't think the bylaws were going to pass by what I heard on the course but sadly most of those people didn't show up to the meeting due to short notice. So I understand that is was not an ideal election due to the bylaws were just passed. With enough notice people could have time to show what they can bring to the club and sport, and have people in mind of who they are going to vote for when they enter the meeting. I would think that it would be a lot less of a popularity contest and more based on skill, and for newer players they would have insight on people they don't know personally and vice versa. Everyone that I voted for I either knew they would do a good job or I heard them mentioned in good light by Rick and Jack at the meeting. That being said you had my vote Dan  ;)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 12:54:57 PM »
This post has received a ton of hits (327).  If we could get this type of energy and  interest in a work days, volunteerism, events we could make huge gains.  It is great to see that folks are all over this post, but what is going to happen when Dan W posts he has a work day in the Ville, or Drew N posts he has  a work day at Cliff, or Lance trying to get in the wood holes at PHill? 

We can talk and talk and talk, but someone has to do the work, the work, the work!  Here is a chance for individuals to step up and do some not so back breaking work.

ICE BOWL 2011, ICE BOWL 2011, ICE BOWL 2011   
 Get new players signed up for the ICE BOWL.  Bring new ideas for the event, the format, give feedback from last year.  Get local businesses on board.  We should shift gears with this enthusiam and make good use of it. 

Let's make it happen folks.  Take this energy forward like Jack said and let's give back to the community.  Let's have the biggest ICE BOWL in history and try to increase the cash we raised by 25%!!!