Author Topic: Golf Clinic  (Read 763 times)

Nightsworn

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Golf Clinic
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:50:52 PM »
I was watching some of Mark Ellis' videos when I thought this would be a great idea in the KC area.  Perhaps we could have some Clinics on different things.  It seems like there are a lot of noobs playing this lately (myself included) who could use all kinds of tips.

Maybe some of the really good players would like to try this idea out? 
No matter where you go, there you are.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Golf Clinic
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »
I'm not a really good player, but I've been part of the dgr community exploring disc golf mechanics for the past 3/4 years.  I'd probably be willing to talk about some of the main throwing concepts on there.  For free.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 02:53:35 PM »
I would hope you wouldn't attempt to charge anything for lessons.   ;D

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »
If you give me someone with raw talent, I bet I could turn them into some that could work a disc all over the place. 

I'm just not blessed with that kind of talent :).

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 04:38:02 PM »
One doesn't have to be outstanding in a given area to be a good teacher of that subject. Teaching in itself is a talent.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

aarong

• Am Poster
  • no low putts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 07:17:37 PM »
i got 5 or 7 dollar lessons from arturo, bobby, cd, leo multiple times. they volunteered to take my money.  ;D that's the best way to get better. play against the best.

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 10:28:11 AM »
I couldn't agree more with Chris and Kevin. Some of the best players are certanly not good teachers; however, paying to play with some of those players will teach you a lot if you pay attention. I would be willing to offer some tips to new players. While I am not in the leagues of Leo, CD, Bobby, Arturo, etc, I am far from bad at the game, and I am a teacher.  ;D

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »
i got 5 or 7 dollar lessons from arturo, bobby, cd, leo multiple times. they volunteered to take my money.  ;D that's the best way to get better. play against the best.

I'll also agree with that.  Playing with better player may or may not teach you the physical components to throwing a disc, but it will teach you the mental side of how to play golf (see my signature below).

aarong

• Am Poster
  • no low putts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 03:57:53 PM »
that's true. it can be very helpful if you study. i do a lot of studying top players forms. but different people learn different ways. some beginners probably dont even know what they would be looking for in form. footwork, what's your non throwing hand doing, x step, release angle, etc etc etc. but i think that would be a good way to keep growing the sport. i know there's plenty of good players in KC that can teach well. i'll be here in michigan cheering you guys on.  ;D