Author Topic: 2011 ICE BOWL  (Read 24604 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2011 ICE BOWL
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:22:38 PM »
    So....I am thinking of the following for the Ice Bowl this year.

Play a competitive round on Saturday consisting of 2 24 hole configuration at Rosedale up top to determine the Ice Bowl Champion.

Then on Sunday those people that want to play again may.  We will take their best score from Saturday if they only want to play in the second round (Looking like 6 holes now instead of 9), then we would crown a King and Queen of the Ice Bowl from the scores on Sun (yes you could be King and Champ.)

SO what do you folks think?  Sat would be a 2 round deal, tee off at ~9:30 and 2, limited to 5 somes.  If people only wanted to play one round, they could, then they would not have to play on Sunday morning and use that score from Saturday to get them to the bonus round.

The course would be as follows:
    1-short
    2-short
    3-long
    4-short
    5-Play to long #4, with a tee in the middle of #2-#4 fairway or to a basket behind the softball fence
    6-#5 Worlds setting
    7-#5 right
    8-#6 right
    9-#7 middle
    10-#8 short
    11-from #6 long to the island#8 or so
    12-#9 short
    13-#9 long, tee from the middle of #9 burm through the gap
    14-#10 short
    15-#11 short
    16-from #11 long to a temp to the South of the playground, by the trees on #12 left
    17-#12 right
    18-#13 short
    19-#14 Stairs
    20-#15 short
    21-#16 right tree
    22-#17 short
    23-#18 short
    24-Past #18 short to long #18 practice Basket

I am leaning towards this plan as I feel the Ice Bowl has grown to a point where we need to expand it to a 2-day event.  With over 400 people, trying to cram all the disc golf into one day is just too much for some to want to play it.  I know that I have been a person that goes Down Under to play and turned in my score from there.  I would prefer that we not use the Down Under at all, and I think that this may lead to a way to make it happen.

You would get your disc/mini and charitable contribution on Saturday then if you wanted on Sunday you should show up with friends that may not be as competitive as you to play that "fun" round, or get them started, and take photo's of them all day whilst you know your score already.

I would then possibly encourage a person to be the Ice Bowl Patron, by bringing in the most "new Ice Bowl players"

So for new ideas this year:
2-day format (Ice Bowl Champion on Saturday) (Traveling trophy)

Ice Bowl Queen-Sunday Best Women's score (An award TBD, thinking Tiearra)

Ice Bowl King-Best Sunday Score (An Award TBD, thinking Gavel here)

Ice Bowl Patron-Most 1st Time Ice Bowlers (thinking Bowling Ball....or a special disc)
Chili Contest Winner-The Golden Spoon (A new yearly award like the traveling trophy)[/li][/list]

Old Ideas-

• Mini disc (though with the extra holes I anm thinking of, this may play a little different than recent years mini's, but I am betting that Dick can be creative with a course!)

Bring your Chili-We hope to haev more generators this year, but you know propane seems to not blow a fuse if you got it, and sometimes the warmth of the Chili has helped people rank higher in the judging!

Bring your Hot Cider!

Hope we get a Beer Sponsor!

Bring your CTP Prizes! (Extra points to those that secure sponsorship for the Wide Open as well as the Ice Bowl!)

Crackers, and sour cream, cheese, water, provided by the club!
So start sharing your ideas with me and others if you think that this may work.  I don't want to discourage anyone from attending because they come on Saturday then don't bring the rest of their crew out on Sunday because they played on Sat.

The only items that I plan on bringing out on Saturday would be basic discs, a few Star/Z plastic but the majority of the merchandising as such would be happening on Sunday.  Saturday is basically a time to get a round in a little distraction free, and allow you to maybe help on Sunday with the chaos that is the Ice Bowl as we love it. 

Please let me know if you think that I am doing a dis-service by attempting to alter our historic event!

I do not want to decrease participation, I want to increase it!

Thanks,

jack
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:51:53 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 ICE BOWL
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:26 PM »
If you can help out on the Ice Bowl let me know.  I would like to form a committee to help us ensure that we have everything covered.  I will update as we go!  We will probably meet right after the first of the year, like the 4th or 5th on an evening then meet again the week before the event, like the 26th!!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 09:41:41 AM »
The set up looks really fun. One comment, and I say this knowing it's tough to fit in 24 holes!

This part might cause some issues:

6-#5 Worlds setting
[this is along the outfield fence to long #6? Then the players would have to walk back to regular #5? Only Choice would be back up the fairway they just finished or back up reg #5? In both cases there could be teams behind them? It might screw up the flow?]
7-#5 right
8-#6 right
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a thought: even though you are trying to keep DU out of the mix.

6- #5 right
7- DU #10
8- DU #11
9- #6
10-#7 middle
11-#8 short
11-from #6 long to the island#8 or so
12-#9 short
13-#9 long, tee from the middle of #9 burm through the gap
14-#10 short
15-#11 short
16-from #11 long to a temp to the South of the playground, by the trees on #12 left

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a few thougts, either way I like the idea of more holes since there are now so many players.
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »
hmmmmmm........80 views and no comments?

I am leaning towards only 18 holes on the course after a PM about it, but nothing from the talk tank here? :o ;D :D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »
idea # 1 use blue valley this year, and get some<lots> of foot traffic out there, you know exposure for the course to the community, blah blah chili contest, feed the homeless with the leftovers at 10th and troost, kcfdc makes headlines, golfers feel good playing a real course in the cold. weenie arms could play the junior course.

idea # 2 use all the courses, and get each course committee to actually show up at each course on the same day, do our ice bowling, and see which courses bring in the most donations, and then turn it all in as a club, or maybe MO vs KS, but the metro wide effort is better for exposure and way less intrusive to the courses. it'd kinda suck for the party atmosphere, but is a giant party or a travelling trophy what we're striving for?  i've got more ideas, please weigh in on these first as i think my best 2 ideas
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:02:59 AM by jamidanger »
espouse elucidation                                               Be excellent to each other

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 10:33:12 AM »
i like them both but if i had to choose, number two would have greater impact.
Drew D Neitzel

sirbronco

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
I like number two as well.  The courses will not be as crowded.  Let everybody play their round(s) at thier leasure in the morning and have a lot of fun.  Then, at a specified time, throw a party at one centralized course in the afternoon, letting people come and go as they will.  If you make it a two day event, have the party around noon on the second day and play on.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »
I love the Saturday idea. As most times I am only able to play the afternoon round on Sunday.
I also like the #2 idea of splitting up the courses. Then we can hopefully get some exposure from all the different media outlets on Saturday. Then do the party thing on Sunday.
Either way. I like having a saturday tournament and then bonus stuff on Sunday.
PDGA 39363

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 11:24:07 AM »
I like Jamies ideas.  :)

My idea was:
everyone play one round in the morning (it can be as competitive as you want, and you can use as many mullis as you can afford). Then in the afternoon, the top, say 8 scores (2 cards) play a final 9 for the title of ice bowl champ.
It would be kewl to have a gallery of 100+ partying and following the potential champs around in the afternoon.  8)

hyzerponix

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 11:38:03 AM »
Nice idea with the multiple courses, Danger. Whatever it takes to get more people involved and to get more money raised for charity is what should be done.

The #1 reason I hear as to why some folks don't go to Ice Bowl or hang around for the duration of it is "It's a friggin' zoo", or something to that effect. Personally, I show up to Rosie early to get a round in, eat some chili, and shoot the bull for a bit, but my second round is always at a different course along with other defectors who would rather not deal with the huge crowd.

dickthediscparker

• THE ONE AND ONLY
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Awesome at things. Many, mini things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
If you split the Ice Bowl up you wont see as much growth as you think.   It will likely diminish the event.   It sounds good in theory but when you start having a bunch of different people trying to run an event (because we have so many dependable people running good events)  then you have different ideas and people start to want to do things one way and not as a collective and over time it will just die off.   Splitting the competition from the party seems like more of a novel approach.

Think about it.   I can go play (for the first time in 5 years) for the Ice Bowl Trophy.   Little to no thrills just cold golf.   Then the next day I can Volunteer my efforts to help put on an incredible event.   Those who played on Saturday can now come out Sunday and party at the Pavilion .   Beer and Chili and Friends and Games.   No one trying to hurry and do all the things PLUS play golf.  No we can raise more money for the charity with side games, we can have more people hanging out around the party area which makes it look like we are a huge event.  Instead of having 100 people on hole one cold and bored and thinking about something else.   

I think Jack is on the right track but I would say just 2 rounds of 18 Max 90 (how many people really have a chance for the trophy)  And then Party on Sunday!  Giving 1 round of 18 holes for everyone to enjoy who didn't come out the day before.  We get a Live band or DJ to spin tunes and make it awesome.
Dick Parker
• 2014-16 Kansas City Wide Open Tournament Director
• Course Designer
• Amateur Photoshopper
• KCFDC Membership Guru

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »
#2 is good, and I wanted to do #1 already, but I want to wait until we have the "other courses" in the ground before we go this direction.

The problem with #2 is staff.  Also I think that spreading out the Ice Bowl love would miss the event atmosphere that we have grown accustomed to.

Attempting to go over multiple courses with multiple merchandise, multiple scoring, is more work than many are willing to donate.

I understand your idea and how it works in other places (namely on the east of us), but the way we run the Ice Bowl and people's expectations are not aligned with a no-frills event.  We like to have a lot of fun at our Ice Bowls, probably more so than most.  I hope to keep it that way, yet still attract more people!

Keep the ideas flowing!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
Would it be better to have the party on a Saturday?  I have heard many folks say they wish the party was on a Saturday due to work the next day.  Many people like to chill on Sunday or have family time, church etc.  I am all about splitting the event up to two days though.

Have we ever done a can food drive?  Bring in 3 cans of food and get a discount, or a raffle ticket.  Since we will be 501 3c maybe find a company that would match can for can donatations. 

I think KC is all about getting together.  Splitting up the ice bowl onto different may not be welcome after we have had such great success handling the event at one course. 

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
Not moving it to Sat for the party, it gives people time to make the chili on Sat!  My Chili starts on Thursday to brew..... ;D

The problem with Canned Food is that we have to collect it and deliver it, and its amazing how many cans of creamed beef stew we end up with.  I prefer to give the money to the charity to buy the food that they know they need.  I don't discourage food I just do not encourage it, having finances to buy the food goes much further as they have partners to buy the food.

We are not partying until the depths of the night on Sunday, so I am not sure but I have heard very few complaints about that, now I have heard it interferes with Church on more than one occassion, and I think that giving the option to do the Saturday round now may alleviate that concern.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I hope to have some solid ideas in place to start to have all the information needed by the end of next week.

I am leaning towards keeping the course at 18 holes.  Less work in the winter the better for us all!  Plus no learning new holes for those that want to be ultra competitive! ;)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:13 PM »
Other thoughts and comments:

Changing it to 2-18 hole rounds on Saturday with another on Sunday almost changes the focus from a fun/charity event
to a serious/competivite event.

If it was a two disc only event or double bogey is you friend would that move things along? With 400 players probably not enough to make a difference.

Instead of having events at all courses what if 2 in MO and 2 in KS were designated? Hold the first round at each of the designated courses with the second or final round still at Rosedale, aka Party Central. Players could choose where they played their first round. Some course would hold an advantage over others.
For example PC/Rosey (KS) and Swope/WW (MO) [these are just to demonstrate my point and are in attempt tp cover N-S-E-W]. Set each course up easy so the event remains fun and birdies are plentiful. Set a deadline of 1pm for all rounds to be complete and scores provided to a coordinator at Rosedale. This could be done via email or over the phone. 2-2:30 would begin the second round/finals at Rosedale. If you finished earlier at one of the other courses you'd still have plenty of time to get to rosedale. If you finished last, at 1pm, you'd still have an hour to get across town. If enough people stayed for round 2, Rosey could accomadate 180 by using DU.  It has it's flaws but just another idea to noodle.

If we just had a location with three 18 hole courses in the same park.....
[I threw the softball Dan, you take a cut at it]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:16:37 PM by David E »
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.