Author Topic: 2011 ICE BOWL  (Read 12654 times)

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 ICE BOWL
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2010, 10:41:17 AM »
I think we do need to do something "different" so I'm not against any suggestions.
BUT lets not turn the course into a club championship setting.
Keep em short n fun!!!!
I have an idea for another way of raising more money if you do keep them short. And possibly add some temp shorties
Have a competition within a competition.
Offer people the opportunity to get in a Monster Metal Mayhem along with The Ice Bowl
Its a points set-up like the ace run. 3pts for an ace 1pt for metal
Your still putting out and keeping track of your regular score along with tracking your metal shots.
If you have an awesome prize for the winner I'm sure you'll get people wanting to try this.
I know I'd be in for another $25
OK I decided to do the math to see how we would fare if we charged $50 per player.
$25 was the original plus selling the masses on another $25 for all the CTP prizes if on the course.
Would save alot of time between rounds.
Then I also still think the Monster Metal Mayhem would be something neat to offer.
That would be another $25 per player that chooses to do so.
My #'s I went by:
$25x100 people that played theThe Ice Bowl But opted not to play for the CTP's $2500
$50x200 people that played for the CTP's plus the Ice Bowl $10,000
$25x100 people for metal round $2500
If I decided to opt in on everything my cost would be $75
No matter the numbers that play what. You will make more money for charity this way
Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »
I was confused, but then I realized that you were quoting yourself.....So the only person that was concerned abuot this was you..... ???

You have not included any expenses in your estimates.....so we are just asking for $25, $50, $75 dollars, and giving nothing back in return.....I highly doubt that you would then see 20 people let alone 100.  I could be wrong, but most people still want to get seomthing for their entry.

Our current entry fee of $15 will remain, and with that you get a disc and mini stash with the Ice Bowl Charity getting about 1/2 that money.

I appreciate all the thoughts going into this event.  At this time it is pretty simple.  Pay $15 to play on Saturday or Sunday.  Have fun, and bring Chili to win a prize!

For more information we should be up soon on the web.  We are working on the flyer currently.

Please do just this one thing, bring a nwe person to the Ice Bowl this year, and make the people you brought last year do that as well.  If we do that, we will then need to look at other options to change with our 25th Ice Bowl next year in 2012.  the 30th Wide Open in 2012, and the 25th Ice Bowl, man that is some history!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2010, 11:18:53 AM »
I thought it was 25
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2010, 05:30:55 PM »
The standard $15 entry includes a commemorative DX disc and a nested mini set. You may choose other discs as your entry disc by paying the listed
upgrade charge.......

You just always upgrade Dick, thats ok......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:40 AM »
I added the figures to the quote for selling the idea. 
I mentioned putting the ctp's out on certain holes for those willing to pay to play for those so there's the stuff you normally pay extra for but its a set price for all ctp's. The only downfall in this is it gives a player more than one chance to win something unlike the current system.
The Ice Bowl players would still be playing for DX discs plus the trophy. And the Metal winner, second and third get gold, silver and bronze medals.
I was going to donate $ for that but I guess you don't think other people would be generous and pony up the extra bread.
Why should I not be surprised you wouldn't like it. If you read your original way you were thinking about setting it up the course, I basically agreed with you except a few other concepts I added. So thats why its really funny to me.

Steven Disc Glover

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
I just do not agree with the fact that people will pay $75 to play this type of disc golf Steve.  I like some of the ideas, but the price points are not inline with our sport nor the notion of the event in my mind.

What do others in here think?

The whole idea of it being only $15 to get out and support disc golf and support a charity is the draw of the event in my mind.  The model that you are using to me makes more sense in a Thornfield setting, where participation for events is often funded by other organizations.  I want to keep this relatively self funded (though wouldn't turn away corporate money to help for the charitable event!) as it has in the past and continue to watch it grow.

Others?  Your thoughts?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2010, 10:34:40 AM »
I like glover's idea for multiple competitions within a single round and i'm fine with using rosie in a short setting.  i just don't see ice bowl being (or needing to be) the place for that.  so many golfers are there that normally don't play competitive rounds and are kind of stumbling their way through learning that aspect.  throwing that many more options will confuse some that may want to participate in all we have to offer.  it may scare away others who then feel more in the way of the competitions.  also, with all the clothes and gloves, its hard enough to keep track of your score and mulligans.  if there is snow and you need ribbons and tape, its that much more complicated.  extra volunteers needed keep these separate and correct amongst the cluster could also be an issue. 

again, great idea, but an event that has players more seasoned to competitive golf, ace races, and similar events would be better.  nicer weather would also be helpful.  for ice bowl, stick to the side bets with your buddies, glover.  thats one of the advantages to getting to form your own group first round.  and if you take $1000 from your buddies, you can donate half to the charity since your such a high roller.  ;)
Drew D Neitzel

BamBam

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »
Hi there. No deep introspective thoughts here. But I play Rosedale a bunch (many times early in the day) and constantly play with recreational players who play quite a bit. When talking to them and finding they play 3 to 4 times a week I always ask if they've considered playing tournaments. The overwhelming response is that they don't feel ready.

Now that response has nothing to do with my point. The comment which comes about 60% of the time after the response is, "But I've heard about this 'Ice Bowl' and definitely plan on making it out there".

I'm just here to tell you that I've had this conversation in all honesty about 10 times a year.

I mean, I hear a lot of squawking about the length of rounds but haven't seen attendance hurt. And obviously that attendance is driven in large part due to the recreational player.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2010, 05:03:58 PM »
"Party on Wayne".... "Party on Garth".....

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2010, 07:51:49 PM »
lets see here
play saturday or sunday.........one round
i've seen somewhere you were talking about more then 18 holes? maybe 24 holes?
15.00 entry fee
chilli, bring some,or have some
fun,already provided
hey maybe a flyer would be nice,insted of looking all over this subject page
oh lord.......rick where are you

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2010, 12:09:45 AM »
I don't know about the rest of the dg community, but I know I'm not able to drop $50-75 bucks on a tourney; especially one like the ice bowl that is more for fun than competition. I like the sat & sun format. I plan on playing Saturday then coming to hang out Sunday, meet new guys, eat chili And do the ctp stuff. Provided its not bone chilling cold out. But I think the pricing for the ice bowl fits the day. None of the AM guys I play with, who I will be trying to get to play would pay more than $15-20. For them its a chance to get a new disc and learn some things. And that should remain the foundation of the ice bowl IMO.
PDGA 39363

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2010, 09:58:53 AM »
A flyer has been sent to the Tournament Director, Jack Lowe, who, because of work priorities, has not had the time to sign off on it. As soon as he does (hoping today), we'll get this show going.

lets see here
15.00 entry fee
fun,already provided
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »
"Party on Wayne".... "Party on Garth".....

Totally
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2010, 10:39:22 AM »
A flyer has been sent to the Tournament Director, Jack Lowe, who, because of work priorities, has not had the time to sign off on it. As soon as he does (hoping today), we'll get this show going.

lets see here
15.00 entry fee
fun,already provided
thanks rick

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »

lets see here
15.00 entry fee
fun,already provided
When its ready to post, this stuff should be moved to the General Banter and the real Ice Bowl info into the Tournament area.

BTW If you read my words I said it doesn't matter what #'s are more viable to use for whatever you wanna charge for each thing. I went with how far I would pay. The idea was to find a way to speed up the between round process on Sunday which the idea of putting out the CTP's on the holes would still work if you only allowed 1 CTP win per player. The metal points thing was just another way to raise more money. An extra $5-$10 from whoever is in is better than not having the extra funds that could be generated.
Whatever the decision shall be I'm sure everything will be fun as usual!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:13:08 AM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover