Author Topic: PDGA Rule Changes Effective January 1, 2011  (Read 1094 times)

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
PDGA Rule Changes Effective January 1, 2011
« on: December 22, 2010, 12:09:34 PM »
Some crazy stuff here you all need to know about-

http://www.pdga.com/rule-changes-2011

How about all the new rules for what's considered IN and what's considered OUT?
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: PDGA Rule Changes Effective January 1, 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 02:11:25 PM »
Oh, wow... :-X
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 02:19:04 PM »
These are some interesting changes. I thought they were going to be making things more inclusive as to what is a make or miss. But instead they made it even harder to count something as a made shot. This is something everyone should check out. No more wedged aces!
PDGA 39363

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:52:46 AM »
So back taco OK...

But front taco no good!!!

WTF???

Who in their right mind would have allowed this?
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:41:07 AM »
So back taco OK...

But front taco no good!!!

I guess it depends on your preference... ::) ;) ;D
PDGA 39363

Beat Hummel

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 11:46:43 AM »
Weak rule change

dclabe

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »
Just refining the rule...remember the goal is to put your disc inside the basket by going over the rim.  Nobody is aiming for the side of the basket and purposely trying to stick it into the side.  This wouldn't even be an issue if the baskets were solid or more closely spaced...

For tournaments, you could put advertiser or tournament Logo's on plastic wrap on the baskets and it wouldn't be an issue.  Sure would be able to tell that a tournament was going on, and maybe make us a little more attractive to sponsors...and maybe bigger payouts! 

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the rule is the "Unless you don't see it" clause.  It is either IN or OUT.   There should not be a rule like that.    So a blind wedgie Ace is good but a visible one is bad?  come on.   Can we make the rule any more loose? 

I have an Idea.   If it isn't IN the basket it isn't in.  So if you are hanging in the chains its NO GOOD!    Lets get stupid up in ear!
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

hyzerponix

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »
Some of those rules make me wonder when the last time the PDGA's PTB actually played a round of disc golf.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:34:47 PM »
Hmm... seems like politicians to me....  For good or bad they have to do something to justify their jobs. Making rules just to be making rules. I know of an ace during the 2003 Worlds at Olathe that wouldn't count now.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

DrRyan

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »
The wedged disc rule seems like the PDGA did exactly what they were trying to get away from and has left it up to interpretation.  Why not just rule all wedged discs as not holed out?  Has anyone ever seen a disc enter the basket and then become wedged in the tray from the inside?  

In is in, out is out.  That should be simple enough right?
Put down your shiny new speedy driver and learn to throw the Roc!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »
yes, iv'e seen the inside out wedgie. i like the ruling, it is progress, and disables a lot of the sss wizards, and gumputters from some players that actually aim for the basket. now if they'd just get rid of jump putting.
espouse elucidation

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 11:48:59 PM »
If they change the jump putt it would make more sense to land behind your lie.
Steven Disc Glover

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 01:04:35 AM »
yes, iv'e seen the inside out wedgie. i like the ruling, it is progress, and disables a lot of the sss wizards, and gumputters from some players that actually aim for the basket. now if they'd just get rid of jump putting.

Jump putting isn't going away. It's an exciting play, and it's difficult to tell, even upon slow-motion video review, whether a good jump-putter's foot leaves the ground before the disc is released. Most good jump putters use the jump as more of a follow through.

I thought most of the changes were good ones.  The casual relief change was especially good, although I wish they had extended the opportunity for taking one-throw penalty and going back on the line of play for all situations, not just for casual relief, although a savvy player will know how to make that work anyway. :)

The new hole-out rule is a giant leap backwards. The BoD and RC had a chance to simplify and clarify the rule by allowing the extremely rare DROT (disc resting on top). Instead, they left holing out more up to interpretation than ever before. Two discs could be wedged in the basket....one would count because no one saw how it got that way, and the other wouldn't count because someone saw it get that way. This rule is very open to abuse, and it's probably the most important rule in the book....holing out is fundamental to the way we keep score. I hope the BoD sees clear to fix this abomination, but I fear we're stuck with it for at least a year.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.