Author Topic: Disc Golf Youth Sports Expo for Independence and Blue Springs  (Read 984 times)

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Disc Golf Youth Sports Expo for Independence and Blue Springs
« on: January 13, 2011, 12:47:59 PM »
Since the KCFDC is becoming a 501-3C, it is imperative to increase our community involvement and we need additional volunteer work besides manual labor for work days.  We have a great opportunity to promote awareness to our sport and to our club on Jan 22nd and Jan 29th.  This is a great way to generate interest for our sport, promote the ICE BOWL(our best fund-raising event), promote our courses, leagues, and possibly meet future sponsors for our events.  These are the type of grass roots efforts that are necessary in the attempt to make disc golf more mainstream and build our base. Generating interest will not only bring in new blood to our club, but it will bring us a youth movement. 

The club has been asked by both cities to have a booth at their youth sports expos.  We need some folks to volunteer.  This is a really simple chance to give back.  This the second time for us in Blue Springs and i believe this will be the first at the expo in Independence.  Independence would be an ideal location for a course, especially since their rival cities/parks depts BS and LS currently have courses.  It often times takes years to get the parks depts on board, but us making a strong presence will only aid us in the future (man i sound like Jack ;D).

The first youth sports expo  will be held in Independence.
Saturday January 22, 1-4 pm
Truman Memorial Building
 416 West Maple, Independence

The second event will be held in Blue Springs.
Saturday January 29th, 9am-1pm
Adams Point Conference Center
1500 NE Coronado Drive

In addition, we would like to have the kids take part in a disc activity like putting.  Last year we had some discs to give away to our various age division winners.  Plus BS donated frisbees and we handed them out as folks stopped by our booth.  If you have any plastic that you were thinking about trading, or it is collecting dust, or is too light, we would love to have it.   Last year we also tried to set up a tv and wii so if anyone has any cool ideas let's hear em!

PM if you are able to help us out. 

Thanks,
John

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Disc Golf Youth Sports Expo for Independence and Blue Springs
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 04:26:13 PM »
Great quotes from CD Steiner in corresponding about the Indep Sports Expo.

#1  "I didn't know what sort of setup you garnered for us? We'll be kicking the basketball freethrow contest's collective butt!! Thanks for jumping on this!"

#2 "Can we sell or raffle ... to raise money for Indep P&R or KCFDC? Or my retirement?"

#3  "I have bunches of t-shirts in my closet that need a new home - many are like-new. Size doesn't   matter, but most will fit the regular-sized kids"

Which one is best?

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
Not going to turn down a  good volunteer. I just called the P&R and yes it is still on. 

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »
I was supposed to be out of town but since the weather is going to be a little nasty I might just stay in town and help out with this if you need another volunteer.

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »
I appreciate the offer and you are more than welcome to bring your basket Doug.   I think Tom V is bringing a fold up, i am bringing one of Drew's Mach something, and i will have a fold up in my car.

Wrongfuleag, We could always use help.  We have around 3 for sure volunteers so if you want to come please do. 

Please bring extra putters for the putting contest. 

Thanks,
John

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 06:14:18 PM »
Hopefully you all had a good time.  Thanks to everyone who participated.  :)
Drew D Neitzel

KCVinnie

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 06:42:53 PM »
Seemed like kids that may have came in for other areas of the expo, eventually found their way to the baskets where John was ready to set them up with some fun.  Very well done John and others! 

I think my son may be hooked.  He couldn't wait to get home and tell his brother and sister all about it.
Vince
"Driving for show, putting for dough."
2014 Bag Tags: 185 to 8 to 202

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
We a had a great time and thanks to those that came out.

CD
Doug Kroll
Tom Verstrate
Anothy Brunsberg
Bill Shinoski
Vince Como

We had a great spot and we definately had/were the most fun.  Drew also hooked us up with his basket and flat screen which was playing  World Championships DVDs.

Next Saturday  we will be in Blue Springs from 9-1. 

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 12:18:22 PM »
I was getting my oil changed on my way there to possibly help out and ended up spending my time buying a new car.
Offered me a deal I couldn't refuse!
Steven Disc Glover

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 10:57:13 AM »
Judging from last years family and youth attendance at the expo, we could probably use a couple other folks at our KCFDC booth.  I have to leave one hour early to go coach so i want to make sure we have enough help.

It is a good chance to get new folks out and this people are at least willing to listen.  Not like trying to convince your  friend to play that thinks your hobby/addiction sounds crazy.

John