Author Topic: Future pin placements and new tee boxes desired for '06  (Read 1447 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Future pin placements and new tee boxes desired for '06
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:56:22 PM »
This is your course coordinator Bob Hayett.  We made a lot of changes (hopefully for the better and safer) recently.  I would like to see continued progress this year.  I'm planning an additional 12 pin placements throughout the course, and I hope we will have an additional seven new tee box locations as well.  Some of these changes should be accomplished by Olathe Parks and Rec, but most will be done by the club (KCFDC).  I would also love to see new tee signs (I prefer ones with diagrams as opposed to actual photos of the holes) that we can put right on the existing tee markers out there.  I'll be contacting the arborist soon to see if they have any extra trees they can plant since a good number of diseased pine trees had to be removed.  The Saturday league is still happening with anywhere from four to eleven players, as well as the Monday night glow league.  Before the recent cold snap there were a lot of new faces out at the course.  I'm hoping we can get some of them to play in the leagues and also join the club.  If you happen to see them tell them about the leagues and club.  Most of them don't even know the KCFDC exists.  Always remember, clear any work you'd like to do out there with me first. Come check out the leagues, all players are welcome to play.  Later-Bob Hayett

drforster

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:02:41 AM »
Does anyone know the manufacture or where the club bought the current sign placements from?  If not we could prob. make something that would work.  

Also does anyone know who did the pictures for playdg.com if not when spring gets here I can take new pictures of 12 - 16 and submit them.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:26:33 AM »
Those pictures on that site make me want summer to get here again..

Tom and I have actually been talking about getting a course map made for the marquee and figureing out a way to get some tee signs onto the posts that are there.  I was thinking that waiting till the grass is green to take pictures since they look better, then we can take them into photoshop or something and put some dots and distances on them.

The only problem is figureing out a weather proof / tamper proof way to mount them on the posts.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 10:39:08 AM »
The one idea I have run across that I like is getting them printed up on plastic squares, kind of like they do with custom license plates, but everything I found is pretty exspensive....then you would have to mount them with screws and a metal frame or something so they don't get tore up as quick.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:18:59 PM »
One thing the Course Evaluation process of the PDGA takes into consideration is how CURRENT placements are identified.  Their ideal is to have it on every hole, but having it on the marquee would be second best.
The infamous design team in St Louis has wooden signs, and the placements are marked with a bolt at the current.  

If we could do a star or something on the marquee map it would be cool.

Suggestion:  if the trees don't mask the course too much, buy a satellite pic online and do use that as a map.  

http://home.comcast.net/~tradtuba/sgdgc.html

as an example.  Not perfect, but it was a rushed process!

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 08:24:26 AM »
Ya Tom has access to all that so he is working on it.  We just need distances for each pin so they can be on the marquee and on each tee post.  The problem is the tee posts need to have weather covers or plexi glass type of deal for protection.  We are playing on taking digital photos of each hole with maybe an overhead inset on each hole.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:43:27 AM »
Something to this effect, only with better graphics and such...

Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:11:49 PM »
I will be in posession of a range finder at approx. 3:00 today.  I will get it to Tom either tonight or tomorrow, but he will need some help marking all the distances, so time for all the Olathe local boyz to step up and help out to get this done.  I can help but it will be Mar 5th before that happens, so if you have free time please let Tom know so you guys can cordinate a effort.

New Locks were approved and Dan is working on those, hopefully to be purchased and installed before summer leagues start the first week in April.

Thanks goes to all of you who helped with the new holes, you were not rewarded properly for your efforts so be looking forward to some ice cold rewards courtesy of myself when I get back.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
Cool!   I like the pics for the signs.  

Tom, if you need help, let me know.  I'm working this Saturday all day though.  Thurs, probably off at 3, same on Friday.

steve
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
tee signs
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 11:10:34 PM »
I personally prefer simple diagrams as opposed to actual aerial photgraphs of the holes.  I think the photo signs they had at Waterworks looked bad, you could hardly see the baskets in the photos.  Also we need to wait until we have all the new pin placements in the ground and there may be new tee pads going in soon as well as possibly moving a few more existing pads.  I'm getting together with parks and rec here in a few weeks to talk about erosion as well as with the mower chief to plan where they will mow on #15 and #16.  As far as pin placements are concerned, we will have another 12 pins very soon, Pete Cashen will be getting me the rest.  Let's be patient on tee signs, I'm all for moving quick on a kiosk course map, especially one that is easily changeable when new pins/and or tee pads go in.  Later-Bob Hayett