Author Topic: Looking for people to help run summer leagues  (Read 1225 times)

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Looking for people to help run summer leagues
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
I've heard a number of people voice their concerns about getting involved with the club.  Some people assume that it's an exclusive club.  Others assume that previous experience is required.  NEITHER are true.  The truth is that the KCFDC is always looking for people that can step up and volunteer their time in helping.  One of the ways we're looking to have people contribute is through running leagues.  We expect the majority of the typical league nights to stay the same this year (a small fraction may change, and those decisions will be made at the beginning of February).  If you're worried about running a league for the first time; don't be.  We have plenty of long-time club members who will be willing to show you the ropes for the first couple of weeks.  All we ask is that you're able to abide to a commitment of time in running league, to encourage new players to join, and to keep the league fun.

One of the other ideas that I had in the past has been a "league by committee."  This had been done to a degree at WyCo in 2010.  Basically, it allows a number of people to run league.  That way, no single person is on the hook for 7 months of the same weekday.

If you have any questions or would like to put your name into the hat to help, please let me or another BoD member know.  We look forward to seeing some new faces in positions of leadership this year!

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for people to help run summer leagues
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
we gotta get a like button on here.   :)
Drew D Neitzel

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:35:31 PM »
If I lived closer to any of the courses other than Olathe I would be willing to help run a league. My summer schedule is usually pretty random so I can't guarantee I can make it every week. But I am willing to help out occasionally. Or if Tom needs a break in Olathe, I would be willing to do it.
If I got a nickel for every time that I aced at least I'd have a nickel!

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 01:39:18 PM »
Doug, would you like to help run league at a course?  If so, which one?

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:59:11 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, in the past the Course Coordinator either ran league, or delegated it to someone. As I understand it, the "new' KCFDC doesn't have course coordinators, but rather course committees.

Question 1: Can someone confirm that a committee rather than a single point of contact is the method of choice?

Question 2: Have these course committees been identified and contacted to see if the individuals want to be on these course commitees?

Question 3: Will the BOD be deciding who is running leagues instead of the course coordinator committee?

Thanks!

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 03:44:45 PM »
Tom, I can confirm an answer to #1 is yes.  That being said, the committee has a chair, so there is a single point of contact still.

I'm not sure about the question to #2.  the VP's of the respective states are in charge of getting course committee chairs together.  We have not approved the chairs.

I don't know if the BoD, either itself or with a "league" committee, or the course committees will be in charge of handling who runs the various leagues throughout town.  I think that the easiest way to do it at the current moment would be to let the course committees handle it, but I think it's worth considering to have a separate committee that runs leagues, and a committee for each course that's in charge of the course itself.

All good questions Tom, and worth talking about.  Since you've run league for a number of years and have a lot of experience in this, do you wish to expound on anything?

CRAMNATION7

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »
I would like to run league at Legacy. i talked to jon t about it but not really sure when things start up.

Jay Cram
Jay Cram

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »
I already have agreed to help out with things at swope. I will be willing to help out on running leagues but would love some assistance.

In other words, I'm not doing it every flocking week. ;D
Cooter was here.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 04:53:39 PM »
Doug, would you like to help run league at a course?  If so, which one?

My work schedule is 9 to 6 PM so I cannot make it out in time for week day leagues.

This is the same problem I run into as well. 

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
I usually try and help run Olathe, WyCo and SMP when whoever is doing it can't.
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 12:31:16 PM »
Thanks Andy.  I know you've lent your services to a lot of leagues over the years, and appreciate you doing it again for 2011.

AreBeezy

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 03:39:29 AM »
i would like rosie... i'm starting a new job where they'll succum to my scheduling matters in the next couple of weeks and that'll allow me to request certain days off...wednesday has been the league night there for the last two years, so, that's what day i can tell them i can't work...follow me?
If the moon was just a disc, where would it's basket be?  Saturn?

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 07:16:09 AM »
I can help you for the first few leagues and get you started there this year and you can take over if you would like..  I really can not commit this year so that would help out tremendously.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
I already have agreed to help out with things at swope. I will be willing to help out on running leagues but would love some assistance.

In other words, I'm not doing it every flocking week. ;D

i can help out with swope occasionally.  let me know when you need me to run it.

BigDiscDre`

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 02:34:45 AM »
Hi all .....Chris i'd love to  help, i'm jones'n to play........but i'll be in Vegas most of the summer dealing.  been on the road for 3 weeks now got 3 more to go looking forward to a break in mid Feb.  but i think i will be only home for a cpl weeks then maybe back on the road to San Diego then St Louis.  I'm trying to play on the road but its hit n miss if a course is around close to the events.