Author Topic: Reclassification question (Am to Pro)  (Read 525 times)

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Reclassification question (Am to Pro)
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:51 AM »
Alright at the Ice Bowl a few friends of mine were talking about the upcoming Ram N Salmon open. One question that came up was if someone were to play in the Am division that pays cash out would you have to be classified as a pro from then on. I know that it is not a PDGA event so I didn't really think it mattered but the wording in the PDGA rules leave it open to interpretation. 2.3 B2- An Am player is automatically
re-classified as Pro when the player has accepted cash while competing in a Pro division. Accepting prizes in lieu of cash or accepting money for winning an ancillary contest such as an ace pool does not cause a player to relinquish his or her amateur status.
So that begs the question would a non PDGA event with a cash payout be considered a ancillary contest?

Thanks,
Michael

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Reclassification question (Am to Pro)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Nope.

Cade

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
Alright at the Ice Bowl a few friends of mine were talking about the upcoming Ram N Salmon open. One question that came up was if someone were to play in the Am division that pays cash out would you have to be classified as a pro from then on. I know that it is not a PDGA event so I didn't really think it mattered but the wording in the PDGA rules leave it open to interpretation. 2.3 B2- An Am player is automatically
re-classified as Pro when the player has accepted cash while competing in a Pro division. Accepting prizes in lieu of cash or accepting money for winning an ancillary contest such as an ace pool does not cause a player to relinquish his or her amateur status.
So that begs the question would a non PDGA event with a cash payout be considered a ancillary contest?

Thanks,
Michael

They are talking about an ancillary contest at a PDGA event that would pay cash, such as an Ace Pool, Long Drive, Putting, etc.
cg

WrongfulLeaf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:24 PM »
If that is the case then I would assume that if someone were to play at a non PDGA event in a lower than pro division but has a cash payout you would not have to move up? This also makes me think that if someone were to play in a league here in KC and was paid in cash you would be okay also? I think the big thing I was missing was if a player accepted cash while competing in a Pro division, so anyone lower than that would be okay.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 01:39:58 PM »
You can play non-sanctioned cash games and, according to the PDGA, not loose your amateur status.  If that were not the case, there would be a lot of Ams in this city who would have lost their status by now.

That being said, the only thing that Am status really lets you do is compete in Am majors (Worlds, Am Doubles, USADGC).  If you have a rating under 970, you are allowed to play Am at any time, even if you've take cash in a PDGA event.

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:20:14 PM »
From this point forward divisions will be re-classified as "Big Boy", "Little Boy" and "Hotties"!

Let's not forget that the Ram'N'Salmon is a BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION...with a little bit of disc golf involved!!

;D

NO GIFTS WILL BE TURNED AWAY!!!!

;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:30:48 PM by Slant »
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word