Author Topic: 2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30  (Read 22364 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:48:50 PM »
All the comments in the GBO forum made me realize, we are no longer talking about the Wide Open, so lets get it started.

Here is what I do know:

June 10, 11, 12

Pro Format:
Friday June 10
2-Rds-Cliff/WW (10:00am & 3:00pm starts)

Saturday June 11
1-Rd Tee Times Blue Valley (Starting @ 10 am)

Sunday June 12
1-Rd Tee Times Swope Extended Course (Starting @ 9:30, Top Groups start @ ~11:30 in each Pro Division)

Am Format:
Friday June 10
Doubles As you Go @ Blue Valley-$20/team Prizes only-must start 10-3

Saturday June 11
2-Rds-Cliff/Rosedale/WW (9:30am & 2:30om start)

Sunday June 12
1-Rd-Cliff/Rosedale/WW (8:45am start)

Swope will be the awards ceremony/presentation following 30 minutes after all final Pro divisions completed.

More information to follow, but this will be the schedule of the playing time at this point.  If you can help spot on a course (Blue Valley-6, Cliff-4, Waterworks-4, Rosedale-5, Swope-4) that would be great.  Spotters will not only help, but will help with the water filling as well where applicable.  Spotters are to be seen by the player initially, then hide, you are not to make calls during the round, you are there to help find the disc, and keep the flow of play moving.

Again more to follow, but this will hopefully get us going!

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
Kewl, WW, Cliff, and BV for me!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »
not planning on making it to Swope for the final day based on your score from Saturday at Blue Valley then Tom? ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »
Is Swope going to be in the "true" Gold layout?

coops

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
I really like Timko's set up, but I've never played the original gold setup. What were the major differences?

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 02:06:19 PM »
platinum probably baby......

I liked part of TImko's design, but it will have a little more teeth and tightness to it since it will be Pro-Only, you need tobe good to be a "pro" don't you?  I mean you can't just pay cash and call yourself a pro can you?

I'll be tinkering with it on Legaues at Swope from time to time.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 02:07:41 PM »
--Moved from the GBO 2011 thread incase you are wondering what I am talking about--[/color]I have made lists in the past and posted, and you know what they do not get done.  So realistically I don't see the need tin posting it online when I know that it doesn't get done.

I will attempt to put together a list of said items and have it ready soon.  That being said I will start to hold meetings about the Wide Open on a regular basis after I get back from Dallas next week starting on Tuesday the 22nd.  Location TBD, but will be downtown.

Here is the list of sponsorship levels:

$50-business card Program Ad
$100-Double Card Ad
$250 would be a Player Sponsor (double ad and player entry)
$300-Tee Sign Sponsor
$500-Shirt Sponsor (limited to 4)
$1800-Course Sponsor (Limited to 5)
Other sponsorship options are available for trade of merchandise if approved, please contact me with more questions about this.

This is the rough outline.  I will work on other options as we go, and should have the sponsorship form ready to be available by the end of the month if you need an actual form.  You really don't you need a committment from the sponsor and the knowledge that we will do well with their advertisement with us.

I will work on a prep list for the courses, but the Course Coordinators will be doing that not only for the Wide Open, but for all of their courses.  Our latest meeting just initially has identified those people in charge of the courses, and they will work with a wish list for their course to make each one better.

The benefit of the Wide Open is improvement of all of our courses for us to use year round, and a chance to show off our courses to the rest of the world.  You can help by volunteering to keep up your favorite courses everyday you play it, and notify anyone on the BoD or the Course Captain when there is a need to be fixed.

I love to hear this enthusiasm.  With 13 courses underneath the KCFDC belt currently and others pending, its easy to get distracted, and it takes an army.  Build your own army and ask how to help, or clean up what you can when you can, it all adds up!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:11:00 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
I have some additional ideas of holes we can combine/extend as well as some new holes that I'll see if Jack likes as well.  I was really limited last year in what I could implement in terms of new holes on the course by my working schedule, and expect to be a little more free this June.

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
So Ams will only be playing 3 rounds for the whole tournament? Minus the optional doubles round on Friday? I'm curious as to what the reasoning is behind this?
If I got a nickel for every time that I aced at least I'd have a nickel!

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
So Ams will only be playing 3 rounds for the whole tournament? Minus the optional doubles round on Friday? I'm curious as to what the reasoning is behind this?

From what I've seen/learned over my brief time in the sport, the Am's always play just 3 rounds to the 4 that the Pro's play.  I'm going to The Memorial, and I'm only playing three rounds there, and watch the Pro's on the 4th day, for example.
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
So ams can get over to watch the Pro's finish up.  Where else is the gallery going to come from?
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

coops

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 02:39:06 PM »
platinum probably baby......

I liked part of TImko's design, but it will have a little more teeth and tightness to it since it will be Pro-Only, you need tobe good to be a "pro" don't you?  I mean you can't just pay cash and call yourself a pro can you?

I'll be tinkering with it on Legaues at Swope from time to time.

I thought you were a pro after you've accepted cash. At least that's how I've always thought about it.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
I would look at the qualifications for a Touring Pro to answer how you become a "real pro".

I believe it was something like

1000+ rating
Cashed over $XXXX.XX
Placed top blah in a A tier event
and so on.  

But I'll call my self a PRO all day long as long as no one watches me play
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 04:27:07 PM »

Its tough to have all the courses fully staffed on a Friday Anthony is another option that is hard pressed.  And many of the Am's have "real jobs" not like the pro's don't as well, but the majority of the Am's can travel in on Friday and get to play the courses here.  Also it gives them a chance to watch the pro's on Friday if they like as well. 

Really its a hard sell no matter what you do on this event in some respects.  I have made it so that the pro's do get a later start on Sunday so that as the Am's finish up on their round, they can get over to Swope to see the final groups tee off and have a fun time.  I am hopeful that the event is truly a huge deal on Sunday for the finals, and as such may make the "festivities/party/contests" happen on that Sunday, yet still have other options available all week for a likst of "programmed" outings that would be encouraged to participate in if you are of that mind set.

More to follow though, but it is quite simply a matter of volunteerism in some respects, and ease of event planning in others to go with it at this level.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 04:30:16 PM »
Cool, it makes sense. I just wasn't used to seeing Ams just play 3 rounds but I guess it is somewhat normal. I like the oppurtunity to go watch the pros anyway.
If I got a nickel for every time that I aced at least I'd have a nickel!