Author Topic: 2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30  (Read 23568 times)

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30
« Reply #345 on: June 21, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
Video HIGHLIGHTS:

1:27:  Nick Wink:  A chair wouldn't fit up your ass, Mark, so it's okay.

1:46: Tony D (to Nick Wink): You're taking my chair, you jerk?

Only 25 views? I figured this video would be viral by now...too bad the filmer is talking near the beginning of the video and some of Mark's dialogue cannot be heard.  I'm sure it was logically sound, classy stuff.....

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 21, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
wasnt the flimer talking, he is trying to get the talker to be quiet.......I saw the camera about 1/2 way through, he got started about 1/2 way into the conversation......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 21, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »
wasnt the flimer talking, he is trying to get the talker to be quiet.......I saw the camera about 1/2 way through, he got started about 1/2 way into the conversation......

Who knows how to edit a video using auto-tuning?  Now THAT would be funny stuff right there....

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #348 on: June 21, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »
28 0 Vey Thach 45609 851 70 816 74 841 999  999 
28 0 Greg Lewis 39806 935 57 943 73 850 999  999
On a lighter note does this mean that Vey Thatch BEAT Craig Loonis in the AM1 field since his name appeared first, or was it technically a tie for DFL place?

and what was Mark's awesome wardrobe selection that had to be changed? Daisy dukes and a rebel flag tank top, or something of a similarly distasteful manner?

Oy and Loonis tied as both of them did not finish (DNF), also known as quitting.  However, they were not DFLs.  There is a certain honor in being DFL. Often, a DFLer wants to quit as all hope of cashing, let alone winning has vanished (probably during the first nine holes of the first round). The "honor" comes in not quitting, playing every hole, and dutifully recording each pathetic score, suffering with each additional bogey.

Hewho's behavior towards a spotter was inexcusable. However, I think the PDGA dress code is bunk. You can wear a tee shirt made out of synthetics, but not one made of cotton. Women cannot show their shoulders. Hewho's sleeveless shirt was actually clean and not that wrinkled, but did violate the sanctity of the PDGA dress code. More damaging to the future and image of "professional" disc golf is the incessant whining and self-importance of the best men players, as was again on display during the final round of the top four men.

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #349 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:45 PM »
Vey Thach did not quit intentionally. He broke his ankle and has now had a metal plate and screws installed. He's out for the remainder of the season. He only had two or three holes to go too. Let's not call him out for not finishing. I'm sure he would have much rather completed the round no matter what his score.

As for the courtesy violation for wearing the sleeveless shirt, I think it should have been for having absolutely no sense of color coordination. Somebody get that guy some shorts that match something he owns.

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #350 on: June 21, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
Thanks for setting the record straight for Mr "Oy" Vey Thach. I wish him a speedy recovery. Most DNFs are voluntary quits, but obviously not all DNFers are quitters.

Vey Thach did not quit intentionally. He broke his ankle and has now had a metal plate and screws installed. He's out for the remainder of the season. He only had two or three holes to go too. Let's not call him out for not finishing. I'm sure he would have much rather completed the round no matter what his score.

As for the courtesy violation for wearing the sleeveless shirt, I think it should have been for having absolutely no sense of color coordination. Somebody get that guy some shorts that match something he owns.

Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 21, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »
My sincerest apologies to vey thatch, for assuming he was a quitter like Craig Loonis. I also wish him a speedy recovery. I also agree with the dress code being " bunk" or "whack" or "f'ing stupid". I still can't believe Greg would just QUIT like that-god knows I would NEVER quit an event early...

HaterAde

« Reply #352 on: June 21, 2011, 09:04:43 PM »
Spencer, how about addressing some real issues here? Like, where in the hell was Hummel through all of this?

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 21, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
Important background info for those uninformed: last year matt "humble" Hummel was 4th or 5th place going into final Rosie round am1 of kcwo. After taking an 8 or 9 (that's right I said 8 or 9 can't remember but does it matter?) on hole THREE (that's right hole THREE, the short little guy) Hummel struggled through most the remainder of the round. As turns out with 3-4 holes to play of his awful round Hummel was still going to finish 8-9th place and cash 80ish bucks in merch. He teed off on 9 LONG over the fence by the tree, unreachable for most mortals....but this was "muscular, broad shouldered" Hummel (self quote)...he parked it within 20 feet (SICK), picked his disc up before putting, and walked staight to kmont at scoring table to dnf and drive home. WITH A FEW HOLES TO PLAY IN 72 HOLE TOURNEY!!!

So you dare ask, Keizer, where was Hummel during all this? The answer is as follows: who the flock knows!!! I DO KNOW where Craig Loonis was: at home licking his wounds After losing to a guy who broke his leg...if you combine Craig Loonis with matt humble you can only get one thing: Maig Lumble. ( OR Cratt Hewis).

P.S. Fun fact: by DNF'ing last year with 4 holes to play, humble allowed equally sad Craig Loonis to slide into LAST cash!!!

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #354 on: June 21, 2011, 10:50:19 PM »
thanks for the history lesson, it's as accurate as the columbus landing in america! when was the last hummel sighting?
espouse elucidation

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #355 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »
Additional background on the Humble Hummel issue.....  Just before he had that killer throw on #9 that he didn't even putt ou,t a similar story unfolded on that hole. Slim Belcher attempted a thumber to the basket three separate times with an attempt at a forehand in the mix. He ended up taking an 11 on the hole. But, unlike Hummel, Slim kept playing and ended up deucing all but one of his remaining holes. He ended up, I think, in 7th for some decent cash. Why quit because of one bad hole? And I thought it was only a 6 he took on #3. But I wasn't over there when it happened.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 22, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
Hummel quit playing after the kcwo last year, until he showed up and won the RAC. he then quit again until present day, although he was spotted playing a dubs round with myself and 2 other golfers about a month ago. Although that was an isolated incident. I believe he has new grueling job hours and a marriage ceremony in the works, although I would stress to him that abandoning his disc golf mistress for a human wife and a job is super weak!!!

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2011, 08:44:59 AM »
Hewho's behavior towards a spotter was inexcusable. However, I think the PDGA dress code is bunk. You can wear a tee shirt made out of synthetics, but not one made of cotton. Women cannot show their shoulders. Hewho's sleeveless shirt was actually clean and not that wrinkled, but did violate the sanctity of the PDGA dress code. More damaging to the future and image of "professional" disc golf is the incessant whining and self-importance of the best men players, as was again on display during the final round of the top four men.

No arguments about the whining. It's difficult to listen to. I sort of stayed away from it this year...the pros and I were at Cliff Drive on Friday...apparently before they got good and wound up.

When did PDGA disallow sleeveless shirts for women? That's absurd. As far as the whole synthetics goes....the idea (at the time, and remember, this initially went into effect in 2004) was to allow MORE shirts and apparel.  At the time, the Competition Director (who is the current PDGA BoD president) came up with the NT handbook (which has morphed into the Competition Manual). The dress code originally called for collared shirts ONLY.  After some requests from players who were wearing these new dry-fit crew neck shirts (and most of them looked pretty nice at the time), the PDGA BoD allowed these sorts of shirts as well. After a lot of sometimes contentious debate on this issue, we arrive at where we are now. Even in 2004 under the more restrictive code, women were allowed to wear sleeveless shirts, they just had to be collared (and there were plenty of women that did wear these).

Personally, I've always called for clean and neat as the standard for dress code. Disc golf is not played at country clubs (generally, I know there are exceptions sometimes for tournaments, like this year's GBO). Country clubs are the reason for golf's dress code, because that is what the club requires for dress, not the what the sport's governing body requires. Disc golf is played at public parks for the most part. I can point to one instance in 2004 where we had one player show up in a very clean and pressed tank top. (Those of you that remember Carl Kittell will remember that he often dressed in a tank top). Cal's tank top had been ironed, and looked good The aforementioned player in the utube video showed up in dirty, worn out shorts, and a collared shirt that was faded, stained, and may have had a few holes in it. Guess which player conformed uynder the dress code (for once in his life), and which one didn't? That was a travesty.
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 30, 2011, 12:15:16 AM »
I gotta hand it to Doug for finally finding something actually entertaining to say.
Steven Disc Glover

CD

• The "Compact" Disc Player
  • Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Don't EVER forget to putt out. Period.
    • View Profile
    • http://MOKANdiscgolf.org
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2011, 09:16:41 AM »
Good grief I'm slow...  ::)

Great tourney, but an even greater thread  8)

Looking forward to the THIRTIETH KCWO  ;D
Duane "CD" Steiner
Team INNOVA Ambassador
Independence MO
PDGA #2883; KCFDC #002
Bagtags:
2014: 3, 17, 46, 36, 12, 22, 36
"Sometimes it's better to be looked over than to be overlooked."