Author Topic: 2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30  (Read 23126 times)

danhillaker

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Kansas City Wide Open XXIX-countdown to 30
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 01:03:48 PM »
It makes sense to only have 3 AM Rounds. But every pdga event I played last year as an AM had 4 rounds.  I would still prefer four rounds, but if it's not possible then I guess it's not possible.  The more rounds you have the less pressure on each round.  That and if it's the same cost I would prefer to get to play the same amount of holes, otherwise I would recommend a reduced price in light of a 25% reduction in play.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
THis year's Wide Open will be Trophy only, and we anticipate it being cost friendly.

Not all events are always 4-rounds, I guess you got lucky, or only chose to play events that only offered that.

Yes many do, but we want to give all players a chance to watch the top players in our sport compete for their win, and see that competition.  By playing 4 rounds, on Sunday, you do not have that chance, you miss the excitement, and the chance to watch some great play, I always disliked that.

I loved playing 4 rounds, so I understand that, but I hated staying at a park until 7 or 8 for the final 9 that started late, then the awards, then the payout.  So based on my last decade of play in events, I feel this is about the best compromise to make that happen.

You still get 3 rounds of great golf, you have a chance to play with your fellow disc golfers, you play for the chance to be crowned a winner, and you will get to see the top people in our game play at a high level.  I feel that this option offers the best for everyone to enjoy the entire weekend.  Now if you want you can also watch them play on Friday as they get their feet underneath them for the placing of the field.

It will be a great weekend rest assured!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

wheelz06

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
Any guesses as to when registration will open, and what the cost will be?  Some friends and myself plan on making the trip from Nebraska and are starting to set aside some money for hotels, registration, etc.  Can't wait to get to KC!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »
I hope to have it up by this weekend!  I am toying with a few options for the Am's.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
Just throwing this idea out there for some fundraising. I was looking at the Gentleman's club challenge and saw that they do a fundraiser auction to add money to the payouts. One thing that they auctioned off which I thought was really cool, was a round with a pro. So say the tournament starts on Friday, lots of the pros show up a few days before. So if you could get them to donate one round for the auction, us am guys could bid on it and winning bidder gets a private round/lesson from which ever pro they bid on.
They also had lots of donated items for bid, which is cool too. But I know I would be interested in trying to win a round with Doss, or Locastro, or guys like that.
I don't know any of those guys, but I know some of you do. It seems like it would be worth looking into at least. Here is the link for there auction page results. http://www.lvbagtag.com/Events/11GCC/gccxii.htm
PDGA 39363

wheelz06

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 11:56:12 PM »
Doing a play-with-a-pro auction sounds like a great idea!  I know that as an AM I would love to play a round with one of the touring pro's.  For those that know these players as friends it may not sound like a big deal, but to us "regular folk" that'd be a blast!  How many other sports can you play a round with the "Tiger Woods" of the sport without paying thousands of dollars?  I'd def. put down at least 50 bucks to play a round with Feldberg, Jenkins, Doss, etc.  Its a win-win for everyone... the pros get more money in the payouts and the ams get the experience of a lifetime!

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2011, 07:19:19 AM »
Well if Am if 50 bucks and pro is an additional 50 you can pay a hundred and have a chance to play with all of them. :)
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Anthony Puryear

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
True. But I doubt they'll b wanting to give me tips and advice on my throws while they are trying to win a tournament. Plus its a way for them to check out the courses before a tournament. Possibly with local guys that can show them some different routes.
PDGA 39363

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
I think The KCWO #28 and #29 are a little disappointed they are only refered to as "Countdown to 30", like they're just chopped liver or something...
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2011, 09:06:35 AM »
just because you like chopped liver, the rest of us like disc golf...... ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
Happy XLVIIth birthday CD - Countdown to death
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2011, 10:18:04 AM »
CD is XLVIII, fyi.   ;D
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »
On Tuesday March 22nd, I am requesting that those of you that would like to help with the Wide Open attend an informal meeting to get us all on the same page.

We will meet at Danny's Big Easy
1601 East 18th Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
(816) 421-1200

7:00-8:30

If you plan on playing, you can help prepare in advance in many ways as well.

We will need help to ensure that this Wide Open is yet again a testament to the club of Kansas City and how we role out the carpet to our out of town guests.

No need to RSVP, please come with an open mind, and a chance to ask questions and give thoughts on what you feel can make the event even better.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
Online registraion should go live today or tomorrow, I will post in here once it is active.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2011, 09:29:59 AM »
http://www.pdgasignup.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1300221467

Registration is live now.

You may also goto to DGW where Rick has been generous enough to offer to take registration locally.

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"