Author Topic: League doubles  (Read 1876 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« on: February 23, 2006, 11:20:18 PM »
I have volunteered to run a doubles league.  We talked possibly about starting it at 10:00 on Saturdays.  I would prefer switching courses from week to week.  As far as the format I haven't got that ironed out.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:55:15 AM »
Sweet!  Will it be handicapped?  Is this a non-Random league?  Will it be a Round Robin type of set up?

More details :D

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
league doubles
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »
I've got a good idea of how I want the doubles league to run.  I definitely want to play a different course each week.  We'll probably have random draw for a number of weeks.  Each player will have a handicap based on what place they finish each week.  For example, if I finish first, third, fifth, and then third, my handicap would be third for four weeks of doubles play.  I'd also like to have best shot one week, alternate shot the next week, worst shot the next week, etc.  Maybe at the end of the year we could have a club championship doubles tournament (near the same time as the club singles championship).  In order to qualify to play in the doubles championship a player would have had to participate in maybe a third of the league doubles.  Then I would match the player with the best handicap with the player with the worst handicap, second best handicap with second worst handicap, etc.  At the tournament play alternate shot, this way everyone has a shot to win something.  I would also like to have a separate ace fund for the doubles league, if no aces are hit during the season and the tournament have a CTP contest that pays it all out.  I think this would attract more players to the doubles league and end of season tournament.  These are just some ideas I have.  I really enjoy doubles and I'm looking forward to running a doubles league.  Later-Bob Hayett

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 10:01:50 PM »
How come you dont want it to be set teams for the entire league?  Pick your own?  Make it a league that you have to commit to a set amount of weeks in the beginning not just a league you can show up whenever you want?

Since the DG season is so long you could easily run two different leagues from start to finish.  With a 7 month long season having the league 14 or even 12 and have a playoff type finish.  Then start all over again with new teams, and a new league.

In my opinion leave the Random Draw for the Winter leagues, and let's have a TEAM Doubles, league for the Spring/Summer/Fall.  I think you could attract quite a group of guys/girls who would like to pick their partner for the entire series, everyone has that friend, brother, sister, spouse whatever that they just play really well with, and it would be neat to see how it all unfolds.  Having it be handicap would even attract women teams to the event if everyone is on a level playing field.

Bob here is a thread I started in January when I was already thinking about having this type of league http://www.kcfdc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538  Managing the handicaps wouldn't be that difficult if you used a typical Ball Golf league computer program.  Round Robin format would still incorporate the factor of playing with different people each week.

The key with this format is to not pay out every week, but pay out at the end.  That way you have a bigger goal, and we could realistically get some type of trophy, prizes, tons of possibilities and tons of FUN.  The traveling from course to course is the best idea too!

That's my thoughts on the format, let us know what you think.

-Dennis

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 09:44:09 AM »
How would the handicap work with random draw? You are handicapped based on team performance, yet your team is different every week.  If I am a 3 and I play with a 7 what is our team handicap?  Just curious, I have never played in a handicap league and am wondering how it would function.  I love the idea of a doubles league though!

-Sean

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 12:14:02 PM »
My dad plays in a handicap doubles league in ball golf.  They play it like singles and add their scores together minus both players' handicaps.  They play with the same partner, but the handicaps are updated weekly.

Soup

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Check out my Youtube channel for disc golf vids
League doubles
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 06:31:57 PM »
My vote is for a TEAM doubles league. Having a team will motivate and obligate you to get out.  Let's have a goal of getting it started at the beginning of spring. As long as it doesn't cost more than basic cable every month-each partner,  I'm in.  (compromising disc golf budget) lol
-soup

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 10:02:01 AM »
I don't like the idea of having the same partner every week. What if one of you can't make it to a league doubles.  Also what if a month into the season a bunch of new players want to join?  I think random draw is the way to go. I also don't like the idea of not paying out each week and waiting until the end of the year.  We have to keep the sandbagging down to a minimum.  As far as the handicapping, it's much easier to keep track of a handicap based on placement rather than score.  Let's say for example you play for five weeks and the teams you play on finish first, third, eighth, fourth, and fourth, your handicap would be (1+3+8+4+4=20 divided by 5=4) 4.  Also by playing a different format each week (best shot, worst shot, alternate shot,etc.) this would not always favor the strongest players.  The different formats makes the scoring more even.  If we have a club doubles championship at the end of the season then we need to set a minimum doubles league attendance to qualify, say 50% or something.  This way we may get better attendance.  Also I like the idea of an ace fund that pays 100% whenever it's hit, and have a way to pay it all out at the club doubles championship (CTP if needed).  This way we would have better attendance as well.  I appreciate all the input, I'll be looking at all  kinds of doubles formats from disc golf and ball golf and hopefully come up with something that the majority like and want to participate in.  Later-Bob Hayett

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 04:19:36 PM »
Why dont you like the idea of having the same partner each week?  

We obviously would have to work out a Cali rule for when your player can not make it to that weeks league.  But keep in mind he would still be responsible for paying that week.  So if you get the commitment at the begining they will be less likely to not show up.

Why don't you like the idea of paying out at the end of the league?  Everyone can get back a little money that way even.   I think by holding on to the money until end would guarantee participation, and commitment every week.  

If a bunch of new players want to join they'll have to wait, sorry.  I mean what is so difficult about getting commitment from the players?  If everyone heard of it before and at that point they decided not to play they'll have to wait for the start of the new one.  That is also why I propose a shorter league so you could have 2.  We play DG for 7 months I think giving each league 16 weeks would be perfect, and since it's on Saturday's you could run it a little longer, than the night leagues.

How does your handicap work with Cali?  What happens when 1 player gets stuck being Cali 2,3, maybe even 4 weeks in a row?  Then is that player really even getting to play doubles?  I dont think that handicap works out to well for the player that is the lesser caliber player on the team.

I'm telling ya we could really have a hit here having a Team Doubles format, Bob I hope you would give it more consideration.

-Dennis

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 10:46:29 PM »
I still wonder about the handicap process when you are alternating both partners and formats(and course?) every week, a lot of variables.  Random draw and format changes seems like enough of a handicap.  Team doubles with a set format seems the most conducive to an accurate handicap system.

Also by playing a different format each week (best shot, worst shot, alternate shot,etc.) this would not always favor the strongest players

Isn't it the purpose of the handicap to even the field, and reward consistency?
As long as it is a game of skill, the skilled will thrive.

Also, I don't know about the 4 month commitment Dennis, how about 2 two month leagues instead?

Just some thoughts.

-Sean

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
league doubles
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 11:26:33 PM »
I'm against having the same partner every week.  If two very strong players get teamed up it wouldn't be very fair, regardless of handicap.  Also by having a random draw each week, it is unlikely that one person would have to be cali very often.  Also I wouldn't want a very strong player to play cali very often either.  Paying at the end doesn't make sense to me.  Could you imagine how PISSED OFF someone would be if they participated every week, played in the club doubles championship and won nothing?  By having a random draw and paying every week it gives everyone a chance to win something.  Also by varying the format each week it also gives more people a chance to win something.  As far as the handicap is concerned, I would only use it at the club doubles championship, teaming the player with the lowest  (best) handicap with the player with the highest (worst) handicap.  Again, handicap is based on the position you finish each week, not on the score.  Since we will be playing different courses each week, the scores will probably vary greatly, and it will be much easier to handicap by position.  Also, by using the handicap at the league doubles championship it will be much easier to keep track of everyone's handicap, and much easier to run the double's league, we just show up, have a random draw and play.  I would post each week everyone's finish and the running handicap for the season.  If you happen to play cali any particular week, whatever place you finish that day (third, seventh, first, etc.) would be added in to your handicap as if you played with a partner that day.   I would also like to see a more liberal payout than using the club league singles payout, and I like the idea of paying the ace fund out in full if it is hit, and having a way to completely pay it out at the league doubles championship (CTP is necessary).  Whatever format we eventually play, I'm sure it won't make everyone happy.  I'm open to all suggestions at this point.  We have lots of time to figure it all out.  Later-Bob Hayett

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 11:45:14 PM »
Oh, so this will just be a regular Saturday doubles league that goes to a different course each week.  I thought it was going to be a handicaped league with a start and end like  darts, bowling, ball golf, etc.  

Random is fine for that, works for the winter doubles leagues.  

-Sean

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 07:58:45 AM »
I think pick your partner with a payout at the end would be coolest. I do not care for handicaps though, so I prolly won't be participating in any league that uses a handicap.

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
League doubles handicap
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »
My idea for handicap is NOT to use any handicap during the season.  I believe that by having random draw AND playing a different format every week (best shot, worst shot, alternate shot, etc.) that will in effect make the league play more even.  If we have a club doubles championship it would be the FAIREST to utilize a handicap system to match people up for that event.  For league play handicaps make the most sense for am players, it gives them a chance to win something.  Most of the people I've talked to so far favor a random draw.  They don't want to feel obligated to participate every week, and I agree with that.  As an incentive for participation, having an ace fund that pays 100% or close to 100%, will get more people out to play.  Also, if we do schedule a club doubles championship, and require some level of participation to qualify (say 50%) that also will get more people out.  Also having the doubles play at different courses each week might make it easier for some people to show up.  Another problem I'm hearing is that a lot of players won't be participating on weekends since they are playing various tournaments around the area.  We may want to consider having the doubles during the week somehow.  Again, there's still lots of time to figure out everything.  Keep sending ideas out, you're welcome to call me at 913-888-8863.  Later-Bob Hayett