Author Topic: Old Pike Memberships  (Read 4927 times)

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Old Pike Memberships
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
op did indeed get 10 of the dga knockoffs from tedz dread. handmade with love in washington state, setting the standard for private courses in the kc metro area for their first 7 years, they will hopefully live out there days bringing joy to the hearts of old pike disc golfers.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

HaterAde

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 10:24:16 AM »
I guess the number "50" can sound intimidating as a yearly charge to do something you've been doing mostly for free at other spots around town. I admit to scoffing initially at the idea of paying to play OP myself. The more I think about it, though, the more I see that it's really not all that much. Broken down monthly, it's just over $4. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy a year's membership. That way, if I go to H20 this summer and there's groups of 3 or 4 on every hole, I can just head to OP and likely have the run of the place, since the majority of players seem to be against the idea of paying to play there. And if I can jump in the pool to cool off afterwards, that's even better. And best of all, by the sound of things, I won't have to share the place with hippies of the "share and share alike" mentality... :D

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 11:41:09 AM »
I agree $50 is a little steep, but we'll see what the market will bear. I have played several P-T-P courses and I found three in MN that you can play for $35/yr.  Granted these are public parks so they are subsidized with tax $$$, but this is more in line with Smithville's model and price.

It's always hard paying for something you have been getting for "free".  It has been the hard work and dedicated efforts of the people that show up for the work days and get the contracts with the park districts, etc...  I have only been playing for 3-4 years, but I have seen disc golf courses in 10 different states and we are really lucky to have what we have in KC and the surrounding area.  Thanks to every one who has helped out!!!
Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
I wonder how successful the Smithville complex will become, with them being this way and that far out from the area too...

WOW Doug...you make it sound like we were in Canada or something.  ;)

Smithville's only 15 minutes North of Old Pike, and right off the very same highway.

One thing for everyone to remember, is when the inner city's park mowing money dries up, and the grass keeps getting taller and taller, at least these courses will be kept mowed just a little tighter and mowed more often then the FREE courses.

Not bagging on anyone or any course..I love all of our courses, but the reality is the mowing has seemed to get worse & worse every year for the last couple of years and with the state of the economy, I don't see it getting any better, anytime soon.

When you divide the fee for Old Pike by the number of times you play there over the course of the year, it really is a pretty darned good bargin in my book!

For a good time: Lat- 39°25'8.92"N, Long- 94°33'18.52"W

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
I personally would like to see Rosedale go to a pay to park system.  
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2011, 08:45:31 AM »
So, if one ponies up 50 bones for an annual membership: does this buy 365 days worth of membership, or just until the end of the current year? 
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:37 AM »
I personally would like to see Rosedale go to a pay to park system.  
Now that's one of the wisest things you ever said.
It sure would help push people in other directions to play.
Your suggestion was the first thing I thought of when the pay to park situation came up.
But then does that mean your vehicle becomes any safer out there.
I doubt it.
Steven Disc Glover

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Well if there is a guard shack with someone taking money I'm sure that means that person can see the parking lot.  Also put in an camera in each lot with the guard shack having a monitor.  He can call the police or park rangers when something is going down. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
I would think the parks system and the police department would be glad to have someone there to help alleviate the problems currently out there. The funds it would generate would be attractive.
Do you want me to bring that up during my talks currently in progress with parks and rec?
My next talk is April 1st.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:17:43 AM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover