Author Topic: Old Pike Memberships  (Read 4905 times)

colby

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Old Pike Memberships
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:36:02 PM »
According to the signage the course says you can play for a small donation, for which I have no problem.  Glad to throw a few bucks to help out the cause.  However, $50 a year was what the few of us were told today.  I'll gladly drive down the street to play the spectacular (and free) Waterworks.  It's called tournaments gentlemen.  Hold a few, raise some money, don't kick people off your course.  

Colby:  It would be great if the course were complete and had the infrastructure and maintenance to allow everybody to play for free.  But, there is a need to limit traffic for several reasons.  The course is under construction, and more traffic means more wear and tear.  We want to spend out time improving the course or playing, not picking up trash or dealing with vehicles that are not registered to be on the property. 

Old Pike lets us use their land; but, they have the right to know who is on their property and we cannot treat it as a public park.  Also, they want the course to be self sufficient; so, it can support its own maintenance.  So, some fee income is needed first to build the course and then, for on going maintenance. 

Old Pike Mike
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:26:12 AM by Old Pike Mike »

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: We were run off of Old Pike today...Members only???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:31:59 PM »
Yes, there is some discussion going on about how to handle specific courses on the forum. Old Pike was added by request prior to it becoming strictly membership only. It is a private country club though. As for them requiring membership, I see no problem with that. If you are prepared to pay $5 a trip to play there then consider that ten trips to the course in a year's time is just $5 a day paid up front. It's their prerogative so who are we to complain? I think it's great that they have a course there and if I could get up there more often I'd be happy to pay the fee. With the power public parks wield over their parks and the fact that WyCo is being pulled it seems to me there is going to a be a bigger place for private courses sooner rather than later. Especially if the sport continues to pick up steam as it has in recent years.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:05:54 PM »
To add to that we have an 18 month window for a course to become a KCFDC course, so they were technically grandfathered in until next year.   

Also are mission is to support disc golf locally.   Even if that means that place may charge to play their course.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:44:02 PM »
It's called tournaments gentlemen.  Hold a few, raise some money, don't kick people off your tiny course.  It was really disappointing.  I also thought all the forums on here were for free courses, not pay to play joints.

They did have a tournament to raise money for the course and those participants were granted adequate time to prepare and practice.  it's a private country club for use by their members.  you can't use their swimming pool or tennis courts without being a member, why would you think you could use the disc golf course?  your tax dollars go to the kcp&r for mowing and baskets at waterworks.  the members there are buying the baskets and maintaining the facilities through their own budget.  A $5 daily membership or a $50 yearly membership is not unreasonable for what they charge full members in my opinion.
Drew D Neitzel

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:26 AM »
It's called tournaments gentlemen.  Hold a few, raise some money, don't kick people off your tiny course.  It was really disappointing.  I also thought all the forums on here were for free courses, not pay to play joints.

They did have a tournament to raise money for the course and those participants were granted adequate time to prepare and practice.  it's a private country club for use by their members.  you can't use their swimming pool or tennis courts without being a member, why would you think you could use the disc golf course?  your tax dollars go to the kcp&r for mowing and baskets at waterworks.  the members there are buying the baskets and maintaining the facilities through their own budget.  A $5 daily membership or a $50 yearly membership is not unreasonable for what they charge full members in my opinion.
Drew explained it best.
The KCFDC and the Parks and Rec are not invoved in any funding of this course.
The tournament and membership fees are where the funds come from that Kevin and Mike do not use of their own.
I'm a proud owner and sponsor of hole 12 discglover's Sink or Swim or Gator Pit
Steven Disc Glover

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
You are welcome to play Tuesday doubles league, which is open to the public.  Sometimes we even barbeque with food we pay for out of our own pockets. 

But, we are still building the course.  The club allows us to use their land; but, expects it to be self sufficient. Donations, sponsors, tournaments, and memberships are the only sources of revenue we have, and there is a lot of improvements and maintenance still required. 

Its probably not reasonable to expect someone to furnish private land, clear the trees and brush, create fairways, plant pins, pick up trash, build benches, bridges, and bag holders, raise funds for tee pads, run league and let everyone come and play for free!   

Especially, while we are still working on the course, we need to keep the traffic down.  So, the course is limited to course sponsors and disc members at this point.  Eventually, we may have other options; but, that is how it is for now. 

Your are correct that it is a tiny course; but, it is still challenging and we hope to keep improving it.  One of the benefits of a private course, is lighter traffic; so, we can practice and play without waiting day or night.  We are lucky in K.C. to have so many great course options if a private course is not the route you want to take. 

NoSponsor

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
Mike,
Could you let us know what the exact amount is for a membership and how we could obtain one.  Thanks
Sean Elliott

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »
How many guests can accompany a member in good standing?
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 12:09:13 PM »
I believe that membership is $50/yr and that gets YOU a pool pass, not your guest.  IN other words you can bring ONE person as a guest, and YOU can swimming, but they cannot, is how I have heard it explained to me.  Please correct me if I am wrong.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Old Pike Mike

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:04 PM »
Membership for disc golf is $50 per year.  With that we have been giving a one day family pass where you and your family could swim, play tennis, disc golf etc; but, it would not come with unlimited swimming.  We may try to work out more combo deals; but, that is still on the table. 

My hope is to put all funds from membership into the course and I really really really really want to get real tee pads in the ground as soon as we can. 

At this point, the best way to sign up is to come to Tuesday league.  The second best way would be to sign up with Kevin Vetsch, Mick Byrne, or me.  Generally, one of us is out there at some point every day.  Its best to call and ensure we synch up.  Eventually, we will have on line sign ups; but, we are still ironing that out. 

Regarding guests, the current proposal under discussion is to have a guest fee of $3 to $5; but, the guest would be limited to playing once a month.   

Payment plans are available if money is the real issue. 

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
Ouch, your buddy has to pay and may only come with you once a month? It kind of seems you guys are setting this up in a way that won't attract many people who want to pay $50 a year. I understand this is a private course and funds are needed, but you still must remember this is disc golf not that other lame kind of golf.

Getting more people to pay to join should be the key, not keeping people from playing. But this is just the opinion of your average broke disc golfer.

Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
Ouch, your buddy has to pay and may only come with you once a month? It kind of seems you guys are setting this up in a way that won't attract many people who want to pay $50 a year. I understand this is a private course and funds are needed, but you still must remember this is disc golf not that other lame kind of golf.

Getting more people to pay to join should be the key, not keeping people from playing. But this is just the opinion of your average broke disc golfer.

the cash you won at the Ram N Salmon would be a good down payment on an Old Pike membership....

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 10:54:03 AM »

Let's say your buddy/guest wants to play twice a month and does so 8 of the 12 months.  16 rounds x $3 = $48 or 16 x $5= $80
Either way he might as well join as a memeber.

If they structure this as once a month and charge $5, he's out $40
But I'm not sure how this would ever be policed? Unless the guest played A LOT and was seen there all the time?
I get the need to charge, just wondering about the structure of the membership?
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »
The white man's way is so different from the human beings way. This is Cheyenne Anthem, a song from Kansas. The "no man owns this earth we're on" line always comes to mind when folks are "run off' of private places.

Cheyenn Anthem

From the mountains to the sun
Life has only just begun
We wed this land and pledged
Our souls to meet it's end

Life has only just begun
Here my people roam the earth
In the kingdom of our birth
Where the dust of all our horses hides the sun
We are mighty on the earth, on the earth

You have come to move me
Take me from my ancient home
Land of my fathers I can't leave you now
We will share it with you
No man owns this earth we're on

Now the wheels are rolling
Hear the howling winds of war
It's my destiny to fight and die
But is there no solution
Can we find no other way, Lord, let me stay

Under the endless sky
And the earth below
Here I was born to live
And I will never go, oh no

But we cannot endure
Like the earth and the mountains
Life is not ours to keep
For a new sun is rising

Soon these days shall pass away
For our freedom we must pay
All our words and deeds are carried on the wind
In the ground our bodies lay, here we'll stay.

$50 isn't too much for a year's access to a private course and pool in my opinion.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 02:52:02 PM »
$50 isn't too much for a year's access to a private course and pool in my opinion.

I think Mike said that the $50 only gets disc golf access plus one day of other amenities (swimming, etc.) for the whole family. This is presumably so the whole gang can see what all is available in case they want to upgrade their membership to more than just the DG course.

The first time I ever played disc golf was at Ocean's of Fun. I paid plenty to get in the place and even had to rent the discs. I still play to this day, not there though, I heard the course there is gone. Nothing at all wrong with pay to play as long as it's a good value. So far it sounds like OP is a good value for only $50 unlimited play.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org