Author Topic: Old Pike Memberships  (Read 4694 times)

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: Old Pike Memberships
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »
this is a message board tommy v!  there is no place for proper decorum or legitimate questions here!

;D

Tom is well within his rights to ask for a response but Mike was also within his rights to edit Tom's post and split the topic to a new thread if he felt it would be more productive to the discussion. That's why he is the moderator of this board (only the Old Pike board though). As for Mike editing Tom's post, it appears to me Mike was simply answering the questions posed within the post they were asked in and added Tom's name to delineate Tom's thoughts from his.

Before any hard feelings get started here I think it's important to note that we're all shooting for the same goal, better disc golf in Kansas City. The person that started this thread complaining about being run off the course was justified in started the thread because he apparently didn't know about the new rule in place that requires a $50 annual fee be paid to play the course or a fee to be paid on league nights in lieu of the full membership. This probably needs to be communicated better to people at the course but there may already be appropriate signage there informing people of this. If not, someone at OP needs to address this. If the sign says "No free play, membership required" and you get asked to leave if you try to play without a membership I'm not sure complaining about it to anyone is going to be very productive.

As for this forum existing even though the course isn't a KCFDC supported or sponsored course, that is a legitimate concern as well and will be addressed shortly. However, the only thing that is likely to occur is that a separate section of the board will be created titled "Non KCFDC Courses in the Metro Area" (or something like that) simply as a courtesy to those that put the courses together for people to play, whether for pay or not. It all promotes the sport. We're not intentionally trying to promote courses that aren't officially under the KCFDC umbrella but we are trying to promote disc golf in KC. I encourage those courses to create their own websites if they would like more exposure than a small forum section on our board. We will be happy to post a link to it provided they reciprocate.

The KCFDC.org website will be getting a sorely needed and very impressive face-lift within the next month or so. This will not include much change to this forum however. The forum software has been updated recently and been given a minor face-lift. More cosmetic work may be done and some shuffling and rearranging but that's about it. But the content you will see on the new site, blogs, calendar, etc. will be impressive and should take the place of several functions that this forum currently serves. If anyone has any specific questions about the rights and roles of moderators, about the new website or about anything to do with the forum, especially ideas on how we may improve things, please feel free to PM me.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 03:03:05 PM »
well said kevin.  my tongue in cheek comment was more pointed towards timko, as since he's become a mod, he's been permanently on the rag.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
I've already talked with Tom offline.  I found his BS comment inappropriate and felt he needed to talk with Mike before responding, hence my post.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2011, 03:18:28 PM »
i agree with kevin that tom asked some very good questions.  whoever deleted his posts should have been responsible for initiating contact to explain why it was moderated.  whenever kevin moves a thread or splits a thread, he always puts a comment that it has been moved or split.  i think tom had every reason to be upset as i too was confused as to what happened with that conversation.
Drew D Neitzel

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2011, 03:22:30 PM »
I didn't realize it wasn't split into two topics until Tom pointed it out to me. Mike simply changed the heading from the "run off..." heading to "...Memberships". Not sure that was necessary but he did it. Until we get better guidelines for moderators that's something they can do of they want and I have done it myself in the past, but mostly to correct misspellings or to clarify things.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2011, 03:24:36 PM »
i think that was my issue with how this was handled in the 1st place.  i know mike didn't mean any harm.

just seems important for mods to make sure that what they're doing is clearly explained and easy to understand.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
Mods changing other peoples posts is not cool.  I see some that were edited by old pike mike that we're not his.  He should not be doing that.  If there is something wrong with a post, notify the poster so they can make the correction.   

I hadn't noticed that but completely agree. I thought all he had done was answer Tom's questions within his post. But even then he should probably have just quoted him and answered in the thread otherwise people might have missed his response.

I think it's clear that we need to set out some guidelines for moderators.

The biggest problem with editing other people's posts is that, even though we can see who modified the post and on what date and time, we have now lost the original content.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »
Get a rope! ;D

Oh, thats to grab the discs out of the water though..... ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Amando

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »
All i have to say is GO OLD PIKE! Its a gorgeous and fun course and lots of thanks to kevin and mike :) If you wanna play it and you dont want to pay membership then come to league on tuesday nights...at least one night is available to the public and for payout. i think that is awesome in itself.

The Big Smooth

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »
I have to ask about where the baskets for this course came from as I am not sure. Were they not the old baskets from either Swope or Down Under? Did we sell these baskets to Old Pike Country Club? It would seem weird to me that we would be giving away club owned baskets and then be told we have to pay to play on them. If we gave them away, the very least old pike could do is extend one free year membership for active KCFDC members. Someone give me more information if I am wrong. If we gave them away only to be charged to play on them, I think the club made a bad choice. I think I will just go swim and fish at Lake Jacomo this summer and then just drive across the street and play Lees Summit course. Moneys tight in case no one heard.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »
We did not give the baskets away.  The DU baskets were sold off.  Some of them were bought by individuals, and OP bought some.  I also think OP bought some of the baskets out of Ted's Dread.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »
Another attempt to discredit a place that is a private club.
Nice try.
If anyone cannot afford to pay to play there remember there is a Tuesday league out there that has a payout to division winners.
Still not convinced its worth it to play. So be it.
I am more than happy to have disc golf advance to a private level and pay for the priviledge.
I never heard anyone complaining about paying to play Teds Dread.
Steven Disc Glover

The Big Smooth

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2011, 06:25:16 PM »
Thank you Timko for at least reading my post and answering the only real question I asked. Somewhere I got the impression that this was going to be a club course and we donated the baskets. I was wrong in that information and was asked to be corrected if that was the case. Instead of being defensive why not just read the posts and answer points as they come up. I'm not trying to discredit anything, just asking some questions that clearly only Timko was willing to answer. As far as playing to play disc golf I will do it but not for a pool pass. I want disc golf amenities. I want water stations on the course and nice becnches on every hole. A disc recovery service for the water hole stuff like that. I am not going to pay up front to get these things. They need to be done before I give them money. If you want to run it like a country club it had better have country club services.

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2011, 12:05:19 AM »
say YES to benches and NO to portable chairs. remember when waterworks was a temp course and water stations were 2 litre pepsi bottles filled with water and frozen overnite and dropped off at a few pads before the tournaments?
espouse elucidation

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2011, 09:00:03 AM »
Sorry Smooth. I did put too much into blaming you for something others have tried.
I understand some thoughts but remember this course is still very new. The fees attempted at being attained will bring more ameneties.
Steven Disc Glover