Author Topic: Be a part of history-Saturday come help!  (Read 880 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Be a part of history-Saturday come help!
« on: April 01, 2011, 09:00:13 AM »
 Be part of making environmental history at Blue Valley Park during Project Blue River Rescue, this Saturday, April 2. This is the 21st annual clean-up of the Blue River; but it's the first year Blue Valley Park has been selected as a site to be included in the river rescue. What does this mean for Blue Valley Park? Perhaps 100 or more volunteers will be turning out to help remove upwards of 600 tires and tons of trash. What is incredible is that Blue Valley Park alone, may have more tires removed on April 2, than all of the other Blue River rescue sites combined! Be a part of the action as we clean out the trees, hillsides, riverbanks & oxbow to provide better habitat for wildlife.

To be part of this momentous event, come join us at Lakeside Nature Center (4701 E. Gregory Blvd. - Kansas City, MO) at 8 a.m. on April 2. There we will sign in, pick up t-shirts, gloves, trash bags, etc., and grab some free coffee and donuts. Once our group has gathered, we will carpool to Blue Valley Park to begin the clean-up. Wear sturdy shoes or boots, and cargo pants or jeans with belt loops. (The loops make it easier to tie on a trash bag and have your hands free to pick up trash.)

We will meet back at Lakeside Nature Center for lunch, and then everyone who is able to continue doing river rescue after lunch will return to Blue Valley Park - which has been selected as the primary site for afternoon clean-up.

Our combined efforts can make a tremendous difference for the health of the Blue River and for wildlife at Blue Valley Park. Let's see if we can set a new record for tires and trash removed during Project Blue River Rescue!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Be a part of history-Saturday come help!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:23:44 AM »
This is a pretty big deal....there are probably over 300 people here @ the swope nature center getting ready to go help clean up not only blue valley but many other parks inthe area....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 10:30:26 AM »
http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/Heidi_Retherford/Blue%20Valley%20Park%20Before%20Project%20Blue%20River%20Rescue/?track=share_email_album_view_click
Click above for before photos

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/Heidi_Retherford/Project%20Blue%20River%20Rescue%202011/?track=share_email_album_view_click
Click above for photos of people helping

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff454/Heidi_Retherford/After%20the%20Clean-up/?track=share_email_album_view_click
Click above for after the clean up

This saturday I could use some help in showing our sport off from 9-4 at Blue Valley.  The more people that we have the better in my mind.  If you are not planning on playing in one of the events this weekend, please take some time out to come out and help show off our sport.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
I wanted to be there last Saturday but i have been working on my school playground.  They  poured a 1000 feet of walking trail, been installing outdoor fitness equipment for a fitness track with stations, moving 50+ rr ties for muclh boxes, building a retaining wall, excavating soil, etc etc.  So i was a little busy Sat and Sun.  

i will try to put together a group for saturday.  what time would be best?   i know a few new long arms to KC that would love to play BV.  I am thinking Jordan, Jay, Hose and my noodle arm.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:37:39 PM by john theiss »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »
I will more than likely be playing on the 9-holer with practicing from the shelter to happen.

Anytime would be great.  Having people on the Big Course is a plus as well, as it show cases the course to others.  Be mindful on #8 & #9 they will be walking groups through the middle, so please be patient and let them get through.

There is a chance a CHANCE that a delay in the construction of Blue Valley could be a reality.  I would love to have a BIG showing of disc golfers out there this weekend to show off the park.

Again even if you cannot help with the event to teach the sport, coming and displaying your talent would be greatly appreciated.

There is a lot of recent activity within the park, and if we do not show off our desires, these other interested parties may think/feel that we don't want to use the park.

Far from it, now come on out and lets play some golf Blue Valley Style!

Thanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:24:33 PM »
More FYI about the event this weekend:

With Blue Valley Park Improvement Day coming up this Saturday, April 9, here are some reminders.

Our purpose in doing this event is to give minority children and families in Kansas City an opportunity experience nature and the outdoors like never before. Children will see live animals and learn about nature in exciting new ways. You will have opportunities to be a role model and mentor to those who know little about the outdoors. Please share your enthusiasm for preserving and protecting our natural environment for future generations. Help others appreciate the beauty around them!

The event is from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Blue Valley Park at 2301 Topping Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64129. Take 23rd Street west from I-435 and go up the hill past the ball fields to the second entrance on the left.  Registration for various activities will begin at 7:45 a.m. at the main shelter at the northwest corner of the park.

From 8-12, we will be gardening, removing bush honeysuckle, and cleaning the park. Please wear sturdy shoes (no sandals) for all morning activities. If you have work gloves, please bring them. (We will have some spare gloves if you need them.) All equipment for honeysuckle removal and trash pick-up will be provided.

For those who wish to help plant the native garden, please bring any small garden tools you may have (trowels, transplanters, hand rakes, etc.). You may wish to write your name on them so they don't get mixed in with other tools.

We will break for a potluck lunch at about noon. Hamburgers and hotdogs will be provided. Please bring a side dish or dessert to share. (Plates, cups, eating utensils, beverages, etc. will also be provided.)

Afternoon hikes and fishing will begin immediately after lunch, probably around 1:00 p.m. and go until 4:30 p.m. Fishing will take place at Bales Lake, on the east side of the park. Nature hikes will depart from the area of the playground about every 15-20 minutes.

Free frisbee golf instructions will be held in front of the main shelter from 1:30-4:30. Gardening will also likely continue into the afternoon until about 3:00 p.m.

Once lunch has been cleared off the picnic tables, we will use the picnic shelter for most of the afternoon classes which begin at 1:30 p.m. These include nature crafts, as well as classes on birds, insects, and amphibians & reptiles. The class schedule is below:

1:30-4:30: nature crafts (ongoing)

1:30-1:55: Birds
2:00-2:25: Insects
2:30-2:55: Amphibians & Reptiles
3:00-3:25: Birds
3:30-3:55: Insects
4:00-4:30: Amphibians & Reptiles

Thank you for your volunteer efforts. We look foward to seeing you on Saturday!

Note: The weather forecast is for partly cloudy skies with a high of 89 degrees. Please wear a hat and sunscreen to avoid getting sunburned. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 01:28:40 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"