Author Topic: A Blue Critique  (Read 6614 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 10:54:14 AM »
THe goal of BV was to make it beyond disc golf as you know it.  The plan was a par 72, there are no par 2's there have been some people that feel that this makes the course unfair and only caters to the big arms.  I can understand that concept to a point because well a person that can throw the disc over 400' regularly is probably going to do better on a 12,000' foot course.

But there are some itmes that will come into play, landing zones to leave yourself correctly, miss your zone, throw from a side of a hill, go to fast by the green, hit the road or water by being 1 foot to high.

Thisa makes you think of your next shot and placing the shot, even when you can not see the basket.  How many "ball golf" courses have you played where you can't see the green, but yo-u see the fairway and try to hit it accordingly, very similar in design for BV.

THis is the new idea behind disc golf, utilizing the park for the 18 hole configuration has always been the option.  I was blessed with being in the right place at the right time with regards to BV, because my move to KC and determination to cointiue to help disc golf in KC led me to find this park, and then to learn about all the work that Ace/Kreeger/Gary Lewis and others had done a bout 20 years ago trying to get a course in the park then, they were defeated with their attempts but instead ended up in some park north of the river called Water Works, maybe some of you have heard about it......
:)

Jim has been tirelessly working on BV for close to 2 years now, he kicked me out for the most part of help because I destroy things!  The design of the current 18 will be complimented with alternate tee pads that will shorten the par closer to 56-58 and should shave about 2 hours off the round.  This alternate plan is low on the priority however now, the focus is strictly on getting the 18 ready to play for the "big dogs" on the Wide Open.  THis course will change many people's perception of disc golfl,k it will also frustrate some people that do not want to play on this type of model, that is really ok when you think about it, as Eric indicated we have plenty of other courses to choose from already in KC, why would we want to make another course replicated of our existing ones?

I kept that in mind with Cliff Drive, but it ultimately to mee seems more like a hodge-podge of all our courses, slightly unique to itself, and is growing up, but has many areas to improve on, time and EFFORT and ENERGY from others will make that happen.

The jr 9 needs to be what it is a simple little course that will allow people the chance to see the park, with all the dirt removed and brought in in the area it will be a nice addition to the disc golf scene in KC.

GOod thread talking in here folks, nice reading to day for me.

THanks,

Jack
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 08:14:45 AM »
I wanted to chime in my 2 cents worth too. I think Blue Valley rocks!

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 09:15:42 AM »
Mark Martin wanted to play Sunday (yesterday) if "it was sunny".  I doubt anyone was healed up yet from the punishment out at Wy-co.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »
glad I came back to see that some people want to elevate their game rather than question why they can't always shoot under par. thanks for standing up for a championship course those of you who see the value in a course like blue valley.
working on your distance, approaches, and putting gets you further in this sport than writing about it. there are plenty of easier courses in town, play those if blue valley is too hard.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2006, 09:25:09 AM »
haven't heard from dick in too long

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 05:30:55 PM »
I've played golf for like 2 years and I suck but I love playing at BV it has awesome views the park looks great and it don't take that long to play I did it in 2 1/2 hours the other day..
And the when we where playing the police 4 wheel team came bye and said hi told us it was great what we "the club/golfers" where doing out there...
Home #: 816-308-1000
E-mail: tkienzle22@yahoo.com KCFDC:759
TEK II        :^)

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2006, 09:36:46 AM »
right on tim! has playing bv changed your game at all? do you approach your rounds there differently than you would at other courses?
just wondering.
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2006, 09:44:44 AM »
Mo,
I know I approach BV a lot differently than any other, and often different every time.  I have three basic approaches I've tried:  go east from 435, go west from 70, or north from Independence Ave.  All three work pretty well, depending on where you are to start with.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
eu a phunny guy eupher, furthering the "ya can't get there from here" mentality. I hear you do pretty well at tedz for a pizza maker.
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com

Schoen-hopper

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »
Are there eighteen buckets?

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 06:21:16 PM »
Quote from: "geauzinier"
right on tim! has playing bv changed your game at all? do you approach your rounds there differently than you would at other courses?
just wondering.

At BV I approach it like this Throw it as hard as I can and keep telln my self that it take the pros 4 and 5 to hit this so my 6 don't look that bad..

But that and upper Cliff have helped my long game lots they  are my neighborhood courses..

But I realy think the wide assortment of courses we are lucky enuff to have in KC is what realy helps me approach my round  (just throw it out and watch it fly)  and in BV I get to do that more times in one game.. :D

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 09:00:45 AM »
Quote from: "Schoen-hopper"
Are there eighteen buckets?

17 on the big course. #10 is out until the greengrassgrows

Psychoholic

• Pro Poster
  • Beer snob
    • View Profile
A Blue Critique
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »
Me and my buddys where wanting to know what all the mounds of dirt are for on 10 and at the tee pad of 7?

Campbell

A Blue Critique
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 05:05:44 PM »
Quote from: "tkienzle"
Me and my buddys where wanting to know what all the mounds of dirt are for on 10 and at the tee pad of 7?

I like the mounds of dirt. Makes it look and feel more like a professionally manicured golf course.

Campbell

A Blue Critique
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 05:07:13 PM »
When is everyone playing this course...?  I've went out there several times by myself, and never once have I seen another disc golfer.