Author Topic: Swope League 2011  (Read 9186 times)

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Swope League 2011
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2011, 05:07:27 PM »
A good side note on the evening. It was a fun night, some tough competition. Slim, shannon carson (who is making a case to be one of the top 3 players in the city), Jake B, Mike M, Jose are all super solid and quite a few others just a notch below. We thought it was gonna be all 4somes, so palmer, myself, and Ryan K, and his partner take off. Well we fly through the round to the tune of 24 birdies on the card, no bogeys, so we got done fast. Well then we find out there is a sixsome and they have like 6 holes to go. So, we shot good so i hung out and jacked around for ever, hoping our score would hold up. Well they finally finish and of course they tied us. Its getting kind of dark and don't really want to playoff, i get up at 430 so its already getting late for me. Slim really wants to even though we were playing off for $2 bucks a person. So i don't really want to, but finally i say what if we just play hole one and then split it after that if its still tied. I was hot when i was playing about 45 minutes ago, but not so much on that last drive. First i had to watch slim throw a ridiculous thumber over everything and land 5 feet behind the basket. So palmer and i both throw garbage drives and i'm sitting there annoyed at the situation. Maybe a little at having to playoff so long after we were done, maybe a little that it was so late, maybe a little that we played a great round and didn't win, maybe a little that the wife was calling wondering wtf is dinner.

There is a point i promise.

So I figured at least i'll be by my car, so we can just split up the money and i can go. Well they didn't bring the money, and i didn't even park in the freakin side lot. So we get to take the walk off shame back to the club house to split up the cash. Well that sure didn't cheer me up right there. Now i'm just ready to get the hell out. I didn't want to talk to anyone and didn't really, just got the payout and bailed. Walking off with Ryan Keck i'm bummed and he's bummed too because someone decided that his pack of cigarettes looked an awful lot like theirs and dissappeared. So it brings to mind all the shady things that have happened over the years at various disc events and i'm thinking way too much as i leave swope and drive across raytown to pick up some badass catfish. I get my fish and my phone rings, bj font calling me i figure its to ask about the round. He's like, dude do you have your dog. Side note, i'm am excessively attached to my dog. I got him 10 years ago in college when i started playing disc golf. He grew up on disc golf courses, he has been on at least 80% of my rounds. He gets fired up the second i pick up my disc bag and has an enormous red rocket the whole way to the course. I'm talking bigger than my thumb. Anyway, i think my initial reaction was F*********************************************************K. He says its cool, we got him. So i fly back over to swope beating myself up about how i got so worked up over such a trivial series of events and totally flaked out. Jose Ossa (Flying J) newer guy to town i guess, just moved here the beginning of this year i think, solid golfer, good guy. Even cooler now in my book. So i guess cooter wandered up to him after most everyone was gone and he's like dude wtf is my my dad. So jose recognises him and got bj to call me and he hung out for like 20-30 minutes to wait for me to come back and get my tired old buddy. I would have realized he was out there when i got home, but it was dark and people drive like bats out of hell on the streets around swope. So for someone to wait after dark at SWOPE!!! is pretty cool. Especially someone i have just started to get to know. Changed my whole perspective on the night. There are a lot of good people in kansas city, and i think i have met quite a few of them. It is something that helps make the disc golf here great, and i enjoy that disc golf here a whole lot. Even when you play your best and is isn't quite good enough, it was still a good day to play, and we did shoot a pretty sweet 41. Thanks again to BJ and Jose, i reward good deeds. So i will see you guys soon.

The catfish got a little soggy in the box, but was still hot and tasty. Keep up the good work Lutfi's.
Cooter was here.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2011, 07:32:12 PM »
Swope League 08/08/2011

As Lee has already given a quick commentary on the night, I wont add too much.  We played the $5.00 doubles.  It was a great night weather-wise and it could not have been much better.  As there was only 19 players out, I ended up being the Cali, and shot one of my best rounds at Swope (of course, having a mulligan once per hole sure helped on several holes).  Eric and Slim easily won the playoff between them and Lee and Brian.

Eric K. / Slim B. - 41 - $26.00
Lee K. / Brian P. - 41 - $18.00
Frank W. / Ryan K. - 43 - $5.00
James M. / Mike M. - 43 - $5.00
Ash L. / Shanan C. - 44
Paul B. / BJ F. - 44
Jim S. / Andy L. - 45
Scott H. / Jitt B. - 48
Jose O. / Dan F. - 50
Van S. / Cali Van - 57

With all 19 getting into the Ace Fund, it jumps to $204.

See ya next week!
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

will

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
that's a great story Lee.  except the part about you leaving your dog.....

you're fired.

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
Lee-similar story. About a year ago I played a down under round with a large group and then got engaged in some enthralling conversation with two people the entire walk back to my car in the main lot. I got in and started to drive off.  I got to the Rosedale exit and was waiting to make the right turn onto mission when the alarm went off in my head.  Where the F*CK is Sophie?! As I frantically turned around Brian Palmer called my cell and was like "um dude, are you stlll here your dog is wandering around with a bunch of us up top on #7". Having walked up from down under I would have had no idea where to start looking for her had BP not called me, despite the fact I only abandoned her for about 10 minutes. I had no idea if she followed me partially to the car or not at all-she is usually at my heels or nearby. I felt awful. Needless to say everytime I leave the course now I look back in my backseat like three times to make sure she is there. I'm glad this story ended happily, and big props to Jose and BJ for lovin' that cooter! And a big thanks to BP for calling me that day-I'm sure I thanked you but I don't think I expressed how grateful I was/am!

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2011, 09:00:40 AM »
Lee-similar story. About a year ago I played a down under round with a large group and then got engaged in some enthralling conversation with two people the entire walk back to my car in the main lot. I got in and started to drive off.  I got to the Rosedale exit and was waiting to make the right turn onto mission when the alarm went off in my head.  Where the F*CK is Sophie?! As I frantically turned around Brian Palmer called my cell and was like "um dude, are you stlll here your dog is wandering around with a bunch of us up top on #7". Having walked up from down under I would have had no idea where to start looking for her had BP not called me, despite the fact I only abandoned her for about 10 minutes. I had no idea if she followed me partially to the car or not at all-she is usually at my heels or nearby. I felt awful. Needless to say everytime I leave the course now I look back in my backseat like three times to make sure she is there. I'm glad this story ended happily, and big props to Jose and BJ for lovin' that cooter! And a big thanks to BP for calling me that day-I'm sure I thanked you but I don't think I expressed how grateful I was/am!

You don't have kids do you?
JK -  ;D ;D
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
It was not a problem waiting at Swope for you, Lee.  I had good company!  Cooter is one coool dog.  They boy was thirsty and got plenty of water.  And you should be proud of him, he's a smart one.  He recognized me from the many times I've pet him and came up to me in his time of need.  I had just said my goodbyes to BJ and Slim and was loading up my car.  As I turned to say something to BJ across the parking lot I noticed Cooter standing right behind me looking up at me.  First thing I did was look around for your truck and when I didn't see it I called over to BJ.  Before I could ask anything, Cooter had jumped into my car.  He knew where safety was.  Cooter is very likable and I believe any other golfer would have done the same. 

P.S.  Instead of that beer, how about a 5-hour energy?  Berry flavored.   :)
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2011, 03:14:38 PM »
The parents have been wondering when some grandkids might be on the way.

I'm just gonna say, why so i can forget them at daycare like you did to me.

See, can't help it, it's in my genes.
Cooter was here.

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »
I will not be at League tomorrow night as my wife is having surgery (hope that is a good enough reason to miss)...look for Lee Killian, as he will be covering for me.

Again, thanks for the help, Lee!!
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2011, 03:53:35 PM »
Will be playing some alternate tees and baskets tonight, so come on out.
Cooter was here.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
i'm assuming that this isn't going to shorten the course eh?

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
Everyone else who moves the baskets apparently only know how to move them shorter, so I only move them long. ::)

Good night for league. Shannon Carson hit an ace then won in a one-hole playoff on the hole he had aced. Pretty sweet.

Scores and details later.
Cooter was here.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2011, 12:50:21 PM »
Everyone else who moves the baskets apparently only know how to move them shorter, so I only move them long. ::)

Good night for league. Shannon Carson hit an ace then won in a one-hole playoff on the hole he had aced. Pretty sweet.

Scores and details later.

nah lee, i just know that if it was up to you, swope would definitely play a bit longer.  i gotta harass you a little bit, at least.

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2011, 01:05:06 PM »
Palmer, you could have had a chance to show off all that new found distance you've been talking about!

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2011, 03:07:29 PM »
Palmer, you could have had a chance to show off all that new found distance you've been talking about!

nah, that's all gone.

i need coaching.

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
Just for giggles, (or money), I think we oughta' have a throw off between myself, and ba....err...Palmer.   ;D(Call me Moses will ya'.....  :D)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535