Adopt a Hole at Water Works
Water Works Disc Golf Course is one of the most beautiful disc golf courses in the World. Its care is entrusted to the Kansas City Flying Disc Club and the Kansas City Parks and Recreation Department. The newly recreated Water Works Course Care Committee is looking for volunteers to adopt a hole. Here are the responsibilities:
1. Monitor the trash can on a weekly basis. When the trash can gets over half full, replace the bag (which will be supplied) and bring the bag to the curb for Parks Department pickup.
2. Keep the hole clean of dead wood and trash.
3. Chip bare areas as needed.
4. Suggest other improvements for the holes. Funding requests must be approved by the KCFDC Board of Directors.
Bill Neenan and Rick Rothstein are heading up the committee and will be announcing work days for bigger projects. Please contact Rick at 816.914.0094 or email@example.com
or Bill at 816.868.1977 and let them know what hole(s) you want to adopt.
2011 Maintenance and Improvement Goals
Please let us know what projectsâ€”short term or long termâ€”that you would like to undertake. The KCFDC has funds for course improvements. Below are some projects we would like to finish this year.
1. Build a bigger marquee. Maybe not as big as the one at Rosedale, but we need at least twice the surface area than the current marquee.
2. Build stairs from 5 to 6.
3. Trim the hedges back on the right side of hole 4.
4. Plant grass seed where the temp tees were during the water main construction and other areas as needed.
5. Remove the deadwood (tree trunk) from 18 fairway.
6. Remove the old tee signs.
7. Eradicate honeysuckle.
8. Plant flowers and perhaps bushes.
9. Plant trees. Hole 4 especially needs some help.
10. Keep the slough clean on hole 9.
11. Count carefully all volunteer hours because:
a. It's important that the Parks Depart ment knows how much free labor we provide. This helps us bargain with them in getting support for our projects.
b. Rick wants to beta test some kind of rewards program at Disc Golf World where discounts would be given to volunteers who put in â€œXâ€ amount of volunteer hours. The committee would help determine what the "X" amount should be.
c. Relatedly, we'd like to come up with some article of clothingâ€”probably a shirtâ€”that would go to those people who put in a large number of hours. What this large amount would have to be determined. The design for the shirt would have to be determined as well, but we'd want to acknowledge that the wearer was indeed a Friend of Water Works Disc Golf.