Author Topic: Be Part of the Solution—Adopt a Hole  (Read 2288 times)

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
Be Part of the Solution—Adopt a Hole
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »

Adopt a Hole at Water Works
Water Works Disc Golf Course is one of the most beautiful disc golf courses in the World. Its care is entrusted to the Kansas City Flying Disc Club and the Kansas City Parks and Recreation Department. The newly recreated Water Works Course Care Committee is looking for volunteers to adopt a hole. Here are the responsibilities:

1. Monitor the trash can on a weekly basis. When the trash can gets over half full, replace the bag (which will be supplied) and bring the bag to the curb for Parks Department pickup.
2. Keep the hole clean of dead wood and trash.
3. Chip bare areas as needed.
4. Suggest other improvements for the holes. Funding requests must be approved by the KCFDC Board of Directors.

Bill Neenan and Rick Rothstein are heading up the committee and will be announcing work days for bigger projects. Please contact Rick at 816.914.0094 or rick@discgolfworld.com or Bill at 816.868.1977 and let them know what hole(s) you want to adopt.

2011 Maintenance and Improvement Goals

Please let us know what projects—short term or long term—that you would like to undertake. The KCFDC has funds for course improvements. Below are some projects we would like to finish this year.

1. Build a bigger marquee. Maybe not as big as the one at Rosedale, but we need at least twice the surface area than  the current marquee.
2. Build stairs from 5 to 6.
3. Trim the hedges back on the right side of hole 4.
4. Plant grass seed where the temp tees were during the water main construction and other areas as needed.
5. Remove the deadwood (tree trunk)  from 18 fairway.
6. Remove the old tee signs.
7. Eradicate honeysuckle.
8. Plant flowers and perhaps bushes.
9. Plant trees. Hole 4 especially needs some help.
10. Keep the slough clean on hole 9.
11. Count carefully all volunteer hours because:
    a. It's important that the Parks Depart ment knows how much free labor we provide. This helps us bargain with them in getting support for our projects.
    b. Rick wants to beta test some kind of rewards program at Disc Golf World where discounts would be given to volunteers who put in “X” amount of volunteer hours. The committee would help determine what the "X" amount should be.
   c. Relatedly, we'd like to come up with some article of clothing—probably a shirt—that would go to those people who put in a large number of hours. What this large amount would have to be determined. The design for the shirt would have to be  determined as well, but we'd want to acknowledge that the wearer was indeed a Friend of Water Works Disc Golf.
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
www.discgolfworld.com

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: Be Part of the Solution—Adopt a Hole
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
I've been adopting hole 4, recently put in about 4 hours over a couple of trips. keizer got stuff going on at hole 13. who else is in on this ??? we could use a "chain saw day" to make some dramatic improvements and a "wood chip day" also. grass was cut on 4-24 and we're looking good out there.
espouse elucidation

HaterAde

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
#4 is looking awesome, Jamie!

On #13, I would like to gather more rocks so we can create the "raised bed" around the long placement that Bill and I had discussed. One thing about making retaining walls with rocks is you want to have plenty to choose from.

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:37:23 PM »
On #13, I would like to gather more rocks so we can create the "raised bed" around the long placement that Bill and I had discussed. One thing about making retaining walls with rocks is you want to have plenty to choose from.
Tired of rolling away? ;D  Remember the placements are on a slope for a reason...
Wind??  What wind??

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
Here's some suggestions to those who plant flora: be SURE to place large rocks around the base.  The obvious is it will help protect from mowers and foot traffic but additionally the rocks will help retain soil moisture during the summer.  It wouldn't hurt to drive a metal (green) stake close to a tree as well; discs are known to seek out young trees as well as deer cleaning their antlers
Wind??  What wind??

HaterAde

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 12:07:16 AM »
Tired of rolling away? ;D  Remember the placements are on a slope for a reason...

No, it was discussed as another way to curb the erosion and look nice at the same time. Hell, the last 2/3 of that fairway IS a slope, I don't see how not having the placements on a slope would've even been an option. ;D

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »
reebar needed to anchor railroad ties on steps from 5 to 6. anyone have about 3 dozen reebar lengyhs of 36 inches??
espouse elucidation

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
yes Jamie i have the rebarb. I have more time from 8am to 3 pm call me anyday anytime im glad to get all the help i can on WW. I'v procrastenated long enough on them stairs lets get'em done.
Team Ls Discs

Captklank

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:16 AM »
That last post was from Bill Neenan did'nt realize Nelson was logged in. Call me Jamie 816-868-1977
Team Ls Discs

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:32:29 PM »
Just adopted hole #15 today. I started throwing huge sticks next to the big trees and will come pick them up soon. On your way to the basket if you happen to see a decent stick just throw it towards the base of a tree and it would really help out. Thanks!

Bill

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »
Glad to hear someone adopted hole 15 it really needs help.I dont no who u are but call me and we can discuss. "I am Bill Neenan" I sure wish people would use real names so we no who they are.   
Tuesday i got all the trash emptyed and the baskets moved into Wide Open placements and picked up alot of down timber. Rick and are planning a workday the weekend of the 28th and 29th so we can get everything ready  for the Wide open. Im sure Rick will make get the word out.See you all then.

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »
Glad to hear someone adopted hole 15 it really needs help.I dont no who u are but call me and we can discuss. "I am Bill Neenan" I sure wish people would use real names so we no who they are.   
Tuesday i got all the trash emptyed and the baskets moved into Wide Open placements and picked up alot of down timber. Rick and are planning a workday the weekend of the 28th and 29th so we can get everything ready  for the Wide open. Im sure Rick will make get the word out.See you all then.
you beat me to it bill,i planned on emptying the trash on #11 friday morning also picking up  some timber while i was there, wish i could make the clean-up day but INDY500 calls me that weekend every year..............i'll see what i can do to make #11 look good for the kcwo

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 01:21:38 PM »
I asked that a couple of truckloads of mulch be delivered at the bottom parking area from P&R last week Bill.  If you get a chance to go through there before league, shoot me a note if its not there yet.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

Bill

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:53:37 AM »
Yes Jack i noticed a couple truck loads have been droped in addition to the big pile that was already there. What we need now is another truck to help me get it out on the coarse this weekend. Anybody please hepl us out.

BenC

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 01:22:19 PM »
I can bring the truck Friday evening, Saturday or Sunday in the morning.  Let me know when.