Author Topic: Lots of new players on the course  (Read 1369 times)

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Lots of new players on the course
« on: March 05, 2006, 10:22:28 PM »
Today was a beautiful day (Sunday 3/5) and there were lots of new people out on the course.  I was moving pins and was happy to see all the new faces out there.  If you happen to be out at Prairie Center and see someone you don't recognize, tell them about the club and about the leagues we have.  A lot of people don't even know there is a club.  With all these new players out at the courses around town we should be able to recruit many new members to the club.  It might just be a matter of mentioning it to them and carrying some membership applications with you.  Later-Your course coordinator Bob Hayett

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:54:08 AM »
Played the "new" course for the first time yesterday (3/5) and we all liked it, for the most part.  Not sure the source of the earlier discontent?
#12, in the long pin position it's kind of a qwerky upshot?  
#13, in the short pon position this a bird in hand.
#14, nice and long
#15, the water hole is a nice chance - we spotted a long left pin position and a new tee pad - could make this hole a real ball breaker!
#16, the shorter pin is somewhat easy - longer one looks like a real challange
www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 01:49:47 PM »
I loved the all the new holes. The first one needs some trimming, but its a good hole. The walk from 16 to 17 is kinda a mother though. imo
iscraft Golf Discs

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:03:29 PM »
unfortunately, the walk from 16 -> is the main area of problem with the previous layout.  That field is a soccer mom parking lot, and is flat out unusable.  And, the P&R won't allow much more cutting on #12.  There is another gap we can clear out, but Bob has to verify with the arborist what exactly can be done.  

DO NOT go cuttin' on stuff out there, or at any course, without checkin' with the Course Coordinator first!!!!

It's sure a different place now, and just wait till some of the proposed adjustments start happening...
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
thanks for the response
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »
The vast majority of people I've talked to really like the new holes.  They are still a work in progress.  I hope to put in another couple of teepads on number 15 (both longer shots over the water).  I'm also going to meet with the arborist and head of mowers out there soon to see if we can get some trees planted to separate number 15 and number 16 fairway, as well as how much the mowers can mow (hopefully past the bare trees beyond the current long pin placement).  We CANNOT cut out any more trees and brush without the arborist's permission.  I"m going to put in an even deeper pin placement, and cut a NARROW path, similar to the paths we already have.  PLEASE DON'T GO OUT THERE AND DO ANY MORE CUTTING.  Sooner or later houses will be going in adjacent to the barbed-wire, and the residents will appreciate a bunch of trees between their new homes and the ballfield.  I'm also going to put new pin placements on 13, 14, 15, and 16, as well as eventually new teepads on some other holes as well.  Through the next year I hope we can make changes to further enhance the course and make it more fun to play.  Later-Bob Hayett

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 08:26:58 AM »
I predict the city will clear out all the low stuff on 12 before long, much as they did on 11.

Leo D.

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »
The second made up hole needs a longer pin.
iscraft Golf Discs

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
reply to replies
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 06:52:40 PM »
I would be surprised if the city clears any of the vegetation on number 12.  The arborist was very specific not wanting hardly any of that stuff cut.  Once the new houses go in just past the barbed wire fence, it would be an advantage to the new residents to be shielded from the baseball field.  Trees right now are a precious commodity out there because of all the diseased ones they've had to cut down.  I'm definitely putting a deep pin placement on 13 (deep left and straight out) are the two options.  I'm going to have parks and rec pull out old 14 right placement once the new placements are in.  I don't expect to make all the changes this year, but gradually we'll have more variety of tee pads and placements, and maybe even some new tee signs as well.  I'm also going to ask parks and rec if they have any extra benches and trash cans, as a few disappeared last year.  Later-Bob Hayett