Author Topic: new walking trail through the course?  (Read 1406 times)

CJW

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
new walking trail through the course?
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:01:57 AM »
I played beav yesterday and i noticed that they are putting in a walking/bike trail throughout the beaver course. will they also have this trail going through the next two courses?
Caleb Walker

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: new walking trail through the course?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:11:03 AM »
Yup
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
Doug, you are very correct there.  Communication to the walkers and golfers will help keep both groups happy.

We had a course pulled in Fayetteville Arkansas because it was put too close to pedestrian paths, which had a number of blind spots.  As the park got busier, more and more people got hit.  Some from careless golfers, some from careless walkers, and some from a bad course/walking trail design (Gulley Park for those who've been around a while).  So it's imperative that some sort of communication go on, because parks tend to pull disc golf courses before they pull walking trails.

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:32:57 PM »
Doug, you are very correct there.  Communication to the walkers and golfers will help keep both groups happy.

We had a course pulled in Fayetteville Arkansas because it was put too close to pedestrian paths, which had a number of blind spots.  As the park got busier, more and more people got hit.  Some from careless golfers, some from careless walkers, and some from a bad course/walking trail design (Gulley Park for those who've been around a while).  So it's imperative that some sort of communication go on, because parks tend to pull disc golf courses before they pull walking trails.

When throwing in a multi-use park space, it's entirely the disc golfers responsibility to be fully aware of anyone else in the area.  The Gulley Park course was doomed because of those blind shots that crossed or ended up near the walking path.  Too many golfers not willing (or too lazy) to fully check if it is safe to throw.

It's not the shared space that is the problem.  You can throw at or along walking paths.  It's blind areas that will be problematic. 

#14 at P.C. is an accident waiting to happen.  Without sending a spotter up (which no one does), you can't tell if someone is coming up the path from the left tree line.

That's what I told the City when they first put the survey flags up to mark the new trail. They didn't care much, and when someone does finally get hit it will of course be the Discers fault.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
When I designed these courses I kept in mind an entire 270-360 degree view of the paths to avoid those complications.   There are a couple holes that were put in before the "new" direction of the trails but nothing too bad.  
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

DrRyan

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »
Vista and Fountain Hills are two of the highest traffic, multi-use DG courses I have ever played.  There have been more than a few issues at Vista in the past, most notably a small child in a stroller getting hit leading to one of the better holes being completely being changed.  That instance it was 100% the golfer's fault. 

I guess the moral of the story is relax and wait if there are people on the path.  Most of the people I have talked to at Vista were oblivious to the course and focused on their walk/roller blading/biking/dog walking/etc. 

Most of the people at the Fountain course have seemed to be genuinely interested in talking with me about disc golf.  The numbers of local residents in the gallery at the Memorial the last couple years seems to be growing every year.
Put down your shiny new speedy driver and learn to throw the Roc!

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:13 PM »
Like Mr. Parker said, we had Beaver Creek in and then the path went in. We did change a few holes to accommodate the new path. As a result, #1 can be played like an island, #3 nice lefty skip shot, #4 got moved so we are not going over the path. #8 is now an island shot and #16 is probably the tightest lefty skip hole in town.

When we put in the other 2 courses, we have the luxury of having the path in place so we will limit the amount of times that we actually go over the path. Signs have been ordered to warn the path users that disc golfers are ahead.

On a separate but related note, I met up with the head kite guy, Mr. Beaver, and he is pumped that we are coming into the park. We both shared a lot of the same dreams, like a fire pit, and new shelter house and other common desires that we both have for the area.

So you are out for a day of disc’n and you see the big kites, the para-sailers…all the things that are flying in the air…I am telling you the place is gonna be super special!!

We hope to see you all out there soon! 36 more baskets to plant then we start on the t-pads for Beaver Creek and go right to the t-pad for Woodhenge!
For a good time: Lat- 3925'8.92"N, Long- 9433'18.52"W

HaterAde

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:08:02 PM »
So are people actually gonna pay to park so they can walk on a path? :D

Oh, and watch those bold statements like "tightest left skip hole in town", chief-- Cliff Drive #12 begs to differ! 8)

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:38:42 PM »
Oh, and watch those bold statements like "tightest left skip hole in town", chief-- Cliff Drive #12 begs to differ! 8)

different town

Drew D Neitzel

HaterAde

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »

different town

Touche'! ;D

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 06:11:03 AM »
Oh, and watch those bold statements like "tightest left skip hole in town", chief-- Cliff Drive #12 begs to differ!

I'll defend this bold statement with actual facts and figures soon. I'd say it's 1/2 to 1/3 the width of Hole #12 at Cliff. That & #3 on Beaver are becoming my favorite holes...just as #12 at Cliff is one of my favs too!

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 06:14:04 AM »
So are people actually gonna pay to park so they can walk on a path?

That and play on 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 disc golf courses, see the giant kites, watch the parasailers, swim, fish, boat, take a refreshing shower, camp by the glo course and much, much more sir!

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »

That and play on 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 disc golf courses, see the giant kites, watch the parasailers, swim, fish, boat, take a refreshing shower, camp by the glo course and much, much more sir!

When is the video commercial coming out Dan?  ;)

Will Gary Busey be there?
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

Dan Weinert

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • PARADISE ROCS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 09:29:57 PM »

When is the video commercial coming out Dan?  ;)

Will Gary Busey be there?

Be the next post and receive 5 additional courses...just pay additional shipping and handling charges!  :o :o :o

ekolk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
I am awaiting my five new courses. ;)

Yeah there are going to be some issues for sure. There are some great MTB trails at Smithville and as a rider and golfer, I am not going to stop my ride to allow a golfer to throw. And no I am not riding the paved paved trails.  ;D This a shared space and we must consider everyone involved. The phrase "oh I won't hit 'em" is gonna bite somebody in the arse for sure. So many times I have heard players say" I can't even throw it that far." Well, that is the moment you are most likely to throw it that far, possibly hit someone. Nobody wants to hit anybody with a disc. I think. Use discretion.

And I'd like to add publicly my props to Dan and all involved in this monumental project. Great job guys and gals!

E