Author Topic: Anyone know what tournament this disc was from?  (Read 1716 times)

drinkleadsoup

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Anyone know what tournament this disc was from?
« on: April 12, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
It's a 1st run ce valkyrie circa 1998-1999.  A friend told me it was a KCDGC stamp.

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
Re: Anyone know what tournament this disc was from?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:03:29 PM »
That's not a tourney stamp. It's a custom stamp design sold by Disc Golf World in KC.

"Classic stamp created by Dutch artist/disc golfer John 'Noot' Notenboom."

http://www.discgolfworld.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=931&mscssid=A1LXNV8VWGXW9KT9SB142138C0AVDSHC

Not sure how common it is anymore. I doubt Rick's still buying discs with this stamp but he still has a few for sale.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 02:05:10 PM by Kevin Montgomery »
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

drinkleadsoup

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 02:34:11 PM »
thanks.

drinkleadsoup

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »
It's for sale if anyone wishes to make real offers.  1st run ce plastic.  8/10.  Permanent ink on back is fading.  let me know

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:39:20 AM »
Am pretty sure CE was released in early '00...can anyone verify?
Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

drinkleadsoup

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »
you're probably correct.  anything longer than five years ago gets thrown into the "other" category.  I do know that it is 1st run ce.  So, if that puts it somewhere on the timeline, then that's as accurate as I can get.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »
Thats the Dragon Stamp, very doubtful it would be a first run, especially as there doesnt seem to be the flashing on it....

Here is some other info that may help....

http://www.discgolftrader.com/ce/ce_valk.htm

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=28739

I thought that they were available in the late 90's, but I just can't remember.  I only remember giving away like 5 of them that I bought initially because my buddy in Chicago loved them, and was like eh....oh how I changed my tune in about 3 years.....still have about 10-15 CE valks in the basement, have 1 in the bag, and then about 4 Star Valks as well.  Its a great disc.  10yrs+ still flying great.  I moved to KC in 1999 and bought them at Rick's then I believe, but it may have been after being here a year.....it very well could have been 2000.....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:58:39 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
Am pretty sure CE was released in early '00...can anyone verify?

I have one of the first 5 CE discs ever made (Aviar) in my basement, I will try to look and see if the year is on it.  It was an idea that Innova had, and would people be interested in paying more $$$ for a better quality disc......little did they know.....or the smart bastages that they were, were just getting us all started on that CE craze....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

drinkleadsoup

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
It was bought sometime before June 2001. 

otter

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
Call DGWorld (816-471-DISC) and ask Rick...he may recall when he might have had 'his' stamp put on some of those.  They would have had to ship them unstamped.

I recall placing well enough at a Swope tourney April 29th, 2000...and traded my AM funny money in for 4 CE discs (Firebird, Eagle, Valkyrie & Tee Bird).  They were all 1st run.  Ironically, I still have all four.  Fwiw, I recall this specific date because later that day, a young lady on her cell phone ran a red light and totaled my turbo Eclipse. >:(

Enshrine hallucinations...PULL!!

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 12:45:48 PM »
You had an eclipse?    You know that is a stripper car right?
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:49:46 PM »
My aviar has the year 2000, which means that they were made in 1999 (very possibly 1998 on these demo models, but not a regular "1st" or subsequent models), but it would have been late.  The model that I have was a showing model to make a determination if a more reliant plastic would be welcomed.......the answer was/is yes.

So it couldn't have been 1998, it would at the absolute earliest be a 1999 model, but more than likely 2000 is probably the correct answer to this.

Still CE plastic regardless of run is awesome plastic, and worth a look for those that love to play!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 12:51:54 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

drinkleadsoup

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 01:52:32 PM »
Thanks otter.  I will call once I locate my phone.  And, fwiw, I also owned the 3.0 eclipse, and it would stomp just about anything that pulled up beside it.  Definitely should have had several tickets in that thing.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 02:32:11 PM »
Call DGWorld (816-471-DISC) and ask Rick...he may recall when he might have had 'his' stamp put on some of those.  They would have had to ship them unstamped.

Actually you send in the artwork that you want done, and then they print it on them, its all done at the manufacturing level with the exception of the "new" custom dye process that is popular with the kids these days!

;)
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
My aviar has the year 2000, which means that they were made in 1999 (very possibly 1998 on these demo models, but not a regular "1st" or subsequent models), but it would have been late.  The model that I have was a showing model to make a determination if a more reliant plastic would be welcomed.......the answer was/is yes.

So it couldn't have been 1998, it would at the absolute earliest be a 1999 model, but more than likely 2000 is probably the correct answer to this.

Still CE plastic regardless of run is awesome plastic, and worth a look for those that love to play!

Who told you it was one of the 1st 5 made?  I have heard from many of my collector friends that the first discs run where very hard, clear Teebirds which were only used as demo discs, about 60 in number.  Dave was selling them out of his car at Worlds.  The first production run CE Discs were Gazelles which had the big star stamp on them.  They were never released with the standard stamp.