Author Topic: Worlds is Smokin...well maybe not....  (Read 3439 times)

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
Worlds is Smokin...well maybe not....
« on: April 14, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
Non-smoking worlds....what's your thoughts?

http://www.pdga.com/announcements/2011-worlds-non-smoking-policy
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

Ken Franks

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds is Smokin...well maybe not....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »
completely gay...

Not like 2 guys making love, but the other kind, the worse kind...  ;D
Talent beats hard work, but Hard work beats Talent that doesn't work hard...

HaterAde

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:54 PM »
Who are the subservient ass kissers who voted "no"?  :D

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
It's in California and most likely the laws are on the PDGA's side for this year, though from my understanding they are using this year as a test run for future years.  
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

bensdadfred

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »
It's about time! ;D effin smokers! :P
2 Things: Don't sweat the small stuff & everything is small stuff!

robertalan

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 12:36:55 AM »
Years from now they will find that tobacco is good for you, just like in Woody Allen's movie "Sleeper"  Then they will find that all along something like tomato juice gives you lung cancer...

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 07:12:23 AM »
I'll meet St. Peter at the Golden Gate,
tell em I hate to make him wait,
but I gotta have one more cigarette.

coops

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:15:09 AM »
I voted no... so I guess I'm one of those guys.

Not that I really care about smoking when I'm playing, but it is a sport. And, especially at worlds and USDGC where more than just disc golfers are likely to at least notice it, it'd be nice to look like a sport. You don't see Lebron grabbing a cigarette during timeouts.

HaterAde

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31:32 AM »
To me it's about the PDGA placing their image concerns over the disc golfer's harmless outdoor pleasure. How many of those dues-paying members are smokers, and yet the PDGA goes and treats them like 2nd-class citizens who tarnish their image. As if I needed another reason not to join the PDGA, and I haven't had a cigarette in almost 7 months.

Public smoking bans, which may in fact be law in California, sound like a good idea from an emotionally-charged pre-menstrual point of view, but all they do is tell those in power that they can ban whatever they want. Take San Francisco, for instance. They banned smoking, then moved on to ban Happy Meals, and now they're banning phone books. All because the anti-smoking groups opened the door for them, so what's next? Just wait for a person to get hit with a disc at one of the courses out there and they'll ban disc golf too.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »

Not that I really care about smoking when I'm playing, but it is a sport. And, especially at worlds and USDGC where more than just disc golfers are likely to at least notice it, it'd be nice to look like a sport. You don't see Lebron grabbing a cigarette during timeouts.

No you don't see Lebron smoking but we are talking about an indoor sport.  Lets look at Traditional Golf.  You can smoke while playing for millions of dollars there.  Hell, I've even seen them on TV smoking.   Angel Cabrera, John Daily, and others all smoke during PGA rounds.   

I think if it has to do with other golfers bothered by smoke then you can make it a curiosity violation if it so bothers you.  Which at that point you can warn them it is bothering you .  Then they can remove themselves from your immediate area and smoke somewhere away from you. 

I don't smoke personally but I for one don't tell people how to live their lives.  If it bothers you say something and move on.  Smoking is still legal.  And we are playing for hundeys not thouseys or millionies for that matter.  So let em smoke, just tell em to do it off the side of the fairway and not around you . 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

HaterAde

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 08:42:29 AM »

Well, you also don't smoke, either. What I want to know is this: What do you, Cooper Arnold, gain from other people seeing disc golf as a "sport" like basketball rather than just a recreational activity? I think you're a great local disc golfer and all, but are you hoping for endorsement deals or to contend with top pros for top money? I guess what I mean is how is disc golf evolving into a mainstream sport (as far as public perception is concerned) going to change your life at all, aside from maybe validating what you do in the eyes of your peers and not having to explain to people what disc golf is? ;D

coops

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 09:09:15 AM »
I think if it has to do with other golfers bothered by smoke then you can make it a curiosity violation if it so bothers you.  Which at that point you can warn them it is bothering you .  Then they can remove themselves from your immediate area and smoke somewhere away from you. 

Dick, what is a curiosity violation? It sounds interesting.

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:11:32 AM »
Your so smart.   Sorry hit the wrong spelling correction.  but I know you knew what I meant so how about back to the subject.  Though i know most of you on here are very hooked on spelling when an issue comes up that you can't argue with.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:12:45 AM »
Also.  It is You're not your.   Just before you go on to the next grammar mistake.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...

coops

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 09:16:10 AM »

Well, you also don't smoke, either. What I want to know is this: What do you, Cooper Arnold, gain from other people seeing disc golf as a "sport" like basketball rather than just a recreational activity? I think you're a great local disc golfer and all, but are you hoping for endorsement deals or to contend with top pros for top money? I guess what I mean is how is disc golf evolving into a mainstream sport (as far as public perception is concerned) going to change your life at all, aside from maybe validating what you do in the eyes of your peers and not having to explain to people what disc golf is? ;D

I don't have to gain anything by wanting it to succeed. Honestly, one of the main reasons I would like it to succeed is to be able to see better coverage of live events. I don't really mind having to explain what disc golf is or why it isn't called Frisbee(TM) golf or any of that. But, I do recognize that in order to get better coverage more people have to not only know what it is but want to watch it. I think that if you take away the people smoking during the TOP EVENTS (make sure you notice this, I'm not saying you can't smoke at a C-tier or even an NT, just the biggest bestest events) it could be a step in the right direction. It won't solve anything but it could go in the right direction.

And, to respond to a point you made earlier, the PDGA is not banning smoking. You can still smoke all you want, you just can't do it at worlds. I don't think that is too much to ask.

And also, I don't even know who you are.