Author Topic: Wilbur Young review  (Read 993 times)

Olorin

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Wilbur Young review
« on: April 25, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
I'd like to send a gigantic THANK YOU TO John Theiss, the Parks and Rec Dept, and everyone who has worked on Wilbur Young!!  I played the course Oct 2010 and I just posted my review at DGCoursereReview.com.  I gave the course a rare 5 disc rating-- the highest possible.  Here was my conclusion:

"For such a new course it amazes me how much work they’ve done and how far they’ve already come...

This course solidifies John Theiss’ status as a Master Course Designer!  Well done, sir.  This is the kind of course that I was sad to finish, and it’s now among my Top Favorites.  Wilbur Young rivals Waterworks as my favorite course in the KC metro area.  It’s that enjoyable!  If I had limited time and could only play one course in the area I’d be hard pressed whether to choose Wilbur Young or Water Works.  They each have different character, so the choice would come down to what type I wanted to play that day.  I had a fantastic time from start to finish; the course should be savored like fine chocolate!  I’d highly recommend people to play here for a first class experience!"

My screen name at DGCR is also Olorin, and you can find my detailed review notes at DGCR too.

I've played and reviewed almost every course in the KC metro area and this was one of the most enjoyable.

Once again, my hearty thanks to all who put in time, sweat, and money into building such a first class course!!

John Theiss, if you would check your PMs and send me an email I'd really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:21:40 PM by Olorin »

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Wilbur Young review
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
here here; theiss is the man.  heck, you should even check out william yates, the other 18 holer he designed on that particular school's grounds.  all short holes, but very creative use of the land, multiple tees, uphill, downhill, left, right, it's got everything.

young is definitely a gem; a fair challenge with plenty of character.

Eric

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:37:36 PM »
And "THEY" say we will never have an A tier out here! Pssshhh just wait and see.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 06:20:31 PM »
And "THEY" say we will never have an A tier out here! Pssshhh just wait and see.

Ahhh...it won't happen.  They are TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
We used Down Under for Worlds!!
Think again Doug.
I heard a different excuse.
Steven Disc Glover

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 11:41:57 PM »
I'd like to play a sanctioned event out there, combining the long tees with the short tees, for a 36 hole comba-mamba style score, call it an A-PLUS event!
espouse elucidation

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »
The only problem I see with running a big PDGA event out there is that some of the teepad/basket locations are VERY close to each other and if you had 90 people out there you would definitely run into issues.  Other than that I think it is a great course that would challenge most all players.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 11:42:47 PM »
The only problem I see with running a big PDGA event out there is that some of the teepad/basket locations are VERY close to each other and if you had 90 people out there you would definitely run into issues.  Other than that I think it is a great course that would challenge most all players.
I meant to say valid excuse because thats the reason.
Don't get me wrong. Wilber Young is a fun and challenging course.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:48:07 PM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

John Chapman

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 03:36:18 AM »

Ahhh...it won't happen.  They are TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
We used Down Under for Worlds!!
Think again Doug.
I heard a different excuse.

We HAD to use Down Under for Worlds. If we could have avoided it, we would NOT have used it. The rainy weather problems on Tuesday of Worlds could have created much worse issues had the weather continued for even another day. Had Young Park been ready for Worlds, we would have used it for sure.

The more inner city courses are generally more attractive for the Wide Open because they are fantastic courses, and they are close enough together to really cut down on travel time.

Chap
Missouri....our state animal is sterile, our state rock is lead, and we elected a dead guy to the U.S. Senate.  Of course, he was the best candidate.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 11:53:10 PM »
I personally would rather see the top players play Young Park than anywhere else.

Having not only players but also any type of a gallery following would be quite the cluster in spots
Steven Disc Glover