Author Topic: The Travesty of it all-One cash division you say?  (Read 1253 times)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
The Travesty of it all-One cash division you say?
« on: May 06, 2011, 10:36:29 AM »
ok, so based on the thread in the Rosedale section, it got me thinking.  I know that we have a group of Masters that play regularly, and I for one am in that now.  It would though if we have the masters and the Open combined see a much bigger and deeper payout possibly on the nights that I shoot well.  

I am not saying this will happen, but it would increase our Open field and thus increasing the payouts.  We would probably as an organization need to revisit the payout based on a larger field, and flatten it slightly, not a lot, but that in turn may lead to the need to not have the Pro2 Field that was started this year....just thinking about it out loud here, and figured others are probably doing the same.

I have this poll posted for the next 6 months.

Jack
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 10:38:17 AM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

coops

Re: The Travesty of it all-One cash division you say?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:03:54 AM »
I'm no where near masters age so this probably doesn't pertain to me too much but I love playing with masters players. Many of them kick my butt each and every time I play them and when they are all sequestered in their own division it just means that us younger folk don't get to learn their wizardry as often. Heck, if we could get bigger fields in open I'd be glad to go back to the $5 buy-in to accommodate those who don't want to pay more and use that as their reason not to play open in the first place.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:11:39 AM »
I think that the $5 fee would be welcomed.....would've meant last night at WW (perfect example btw) that 17 players would have been playing.  The field would have seen the "masters" taking the top 2 slots, and the next 5 went to the "Pro2" field.  Would haev meant that Jamie and Doug would have probably lost out on a little cash though.......what say you Danger on this topic?

The scoring spread for this field BTW was only 7 as well....so it would make every shot a little more important, thus making it more tantalizing to the player's ego......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

five2loves42

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:43:46 AM »
I really don't like the combination of the age-protected divisions with others (Pro1 or 2). There is an objective way for determining if you belong in masters, your birth date. Pro1 or Pro2 is a judgement call or a cash call.

Jack,

You need to separate the questions on the poll. Have a poll on the divisions AND on the minis vs a true league.

I would like to see a true league similar to the points series Chris ran last year. That was really fun.

Even a bad day on the disc-golf course beats ANY day at work! -
Tom V.

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 12:32:43 PM »
There is an objective way for determining if you belong in masters, your birth date.

the gray area with this issue is not there being a hard line, its where the line is drawn.  disc golf should follow ball golf and make masters age 50.  some of the best players locally and nationally are between the ages of 40 and 50.  the kcfdc has had this discussion but we chose to follow the pdga's lead. (as if their competition committee has their heads on straight.  ::)  actually its just for simplicity because we don't have paid staff members like they do. )
Drew D Neitzel

Tom

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 01:08:24 PM »
I think we should only have OPEN playing for $, and AMs playing for KC KASH. The women can play for $ or KC KASH, however they choose at sign up time.

kidmills

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 03:08:36 PM »
well it looks like i'll play am from now on,I'M NOT A PRO 1 OR EVEN A PRO 2...........but i am a old man that likes to play leagues
paying 5 bucks a week to support the club doesn't sound to bad to me
i hate sandbaggers

white mccoy

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
What is a TRUE league?

Is that with handi-caps and such?
Joe Hesting

twoDornottwoD

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 03:22:15 PM »
a "true" league would have a schedule and would run over a particular amount of time or "season".  it could be handicapped or un-handicapped.  similar to a bowling league.
Drew D Neitzel

Timko

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 03:53:04 PM »
I've run two "true" leagues over the past three years.  Both were handicapped based leagues.  The first was a stroke match play type league, and the second was a points series.

The thing is figuring out the handicap each week takes a good deal of time (if using something like round ratings across all the leagues).  Hopefully next year we'll see our new KCFDC site with an ability to do these types of calculations automatically, which would allow people to run these types of leagues.

With a 50 y/o cutoff for Masters, then, Pro1, Pro2 and Masters makes much more sense.

This I like.  I also like 50 y/o cutoff for Masters and a Pro1 (think Vibram Open), but I think what you've listed would generate the most people out for league.

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 09:57:25 AM »
It's a bit frustrating for me this year. I don't feel things were broken in the past. You were either Pro, Am, Gray, or Female. Having the payout in KC Kash for the Ams encouraged some of the borderline players to play in the Open division. On many occasions last year we ran an Intermediate as well for new players and usually a score of around 60 had a chance to cash. So far this year it's either been all Pro2 or all Am for the non-Open, under 40, male players at WW depending on the week. The past two weeks we have not had an AM division at all.

The way I understand it the goal of adding Pro2 was to do away with the Masters division but so far at WW it has only affected the Ams and encouraged some of the Open players to move down. I don't see Masters going away be it 40 or 50.

I realize it's up to us and we can offer any divisions we see fit. I think in the short term I am going to try to offer Pro1, Pro2, Masters, Women, and add an Intermediate too. I thinks it's important to have some sort of an Am division to get new players to join us. I imagine it's a bit intimidating when your only option as a beginner starts with the word Pro.

Ash

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 11:50:28 AM »
I think we should only have OPEN playing for $, and AMs playing for KC KASH. The women can play for $ or KC KASH, however they choose at sign up time.

This is a problem, why should Am women get to play for cash, but not Am men? PRO2 is great, playing for KC cash feels like a rip-off when you are playing a lot of minis, especially with the cost of gas these days.
Ash Lawrence
KCFDC # 994

HaterAde

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
I don't care how the divisions break down, I'm there to have fun and hang with good people. It's a laid-back mini league-- all this tinkering is unnecessary hair splitting for what amounts to chump change for the winners. Aren't there tournaments for those who take this GAME seriously and play to win money? ;)

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 11:00:59 AM »
Trying to see what people think and have ideas for the future Doug......Didn't say it was broken, but a good topic was started in my mind in the Rosedale section, and I think that this topic warrants its own topic of conversation.

As the replies indicate it is on a few people's mind, so I am trying to see what we can do to help warrant this topic and look at alternate ideas for the game locally.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »
you change the master age to 50 and ill never play another league, not that i play that many to begin with, but I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel to 40.....
Mike Penney