Author Topic: Joplin relief fund  (Read 819 times)

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Joplin relief fund
« on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »
I am asking all disc golfers to please donate to the Red Cross for disaster relief.
It kinda irks me when people think they should get something in return for donating money while playing in a tournament that is designed to raise money.
Put yourself in others shoes and realize what those affected truly go through.
My sister's house was hit a few years ago when the F3 tornado touched down by Wyandotte County Lake.
I believe David Underwood's house was hit by the same tornado and he is a casual golfer.
K-Mont has donated his efforts and is there right now.
Steven Disc Glover

MedicineMan

• Am Poster
  • Master Jedi
    • View Profile
    • Jedis R Us
Re: Joplin relief fund
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 11:42:04 AM »
IIRC, donating to causes such as this are tax deductible.   I could be wrong, but pretty sure about that.
KCFDC #1256
PDGA #47034

May the Force be with You.

ajinks

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
Discglover, thanks for the post.  The Joplin Disc Golf Club has set up a paypal donate button on our website for those that wish to donate directly to the disc golfers affected by the storm. 

www.joplindgc.com

Of course Red Cross or other charitable donations are greatly appreciated along with the thoughts and prayers everyone provides.

ajinks

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:40:51 AM »
Last night we received a $200 donation from an individual which directly goes to the disc golf families affected by the tornado.  I've also been told the Disc Golf Monkey has received donations in larger amounts than this.  It's truly amazing to see all the love and support in our community.

If you'd like to donate visit www.joplindgc.com or www.discgolfmonkey.com for more information.

discglover

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »
Those in need will greatly appreciate the thoughtful gifts.
ajinks, thanks for posting the links.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:37:07 AM by discglover »
Steven Disc Glover

ajinks

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 10:57:20 AM »
Here's the most recent update we sent out regarding the tornado aftermath:

Uriah Johnson was working his second day at Home Depot when the tornado completely destroyed that store. He sustained severe injuries from a wall collapsing on him along with multiple other people. After he was able to dig out of the rubble, he was called to the hospital by his other job at the Welch Fire & Rescue to aid in the rescue at St. John's. While there, he collapsed due to the injuries sustained at Home Depot and was taken to a Springfield hospital for brain swelling and internal bleeding. Uriah is now home and is doing much better. He even got in a round of disc golf about 3 days ago.

Pat Wooley, Michael and Isaac Davison, and Zack Jones all lost their houses/apartment buildings along with many of their possessions, including vehicles.

The support all these guys have received from the disc golf community has been amazing. The Disc Golf Monkey, Russ Burns, led the charge by receiving donations from many of his friends and disc golfers across the country and held a raffle at the recent Lake Bella Vista Open tournament to raise money for these five guys. From the first round of giving, a total of almost $1,900 was raised and donated! I say the first round of giving because there are several other clubs & tournaments that will be holding their own donation raffles and raising money for the Joplin tornado victims. If you would like to donate to the Joplin (JDGC) Tornado Fund, you can find a link on our website at www.joplindgc.com.

Thank you for all your support and giving.  I know we've received donations from guys who live in the KC area.  There is still a very large need with some of these disc golfers and obivously our community as a whole. 

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
I worked with Colin all weekend over Labor Day. He was taking some pictures and video off and on while working hard along side us other volunteers. This is what he created. Outstanding!

Please give if you are able.

Things like this tend to leave the front page then people like us, who are far from the devastation, lose interest. Please don't let that happen. This is going to be a very long haul for these folks.
Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »
I worked with Colin all weekend over Labor Day. He was taking some pictures and video off and on while working hard along side us other volunteers. This is what he created. Outstanding!

Please give if you are able.

http://www.vimeo.com/25033135

Things like this tend to leave the front page then people like us, who are far from the devastation, lose interest. Please don't let that happen. This is going to be a very long haul for these folks.

Awesome video!   8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

ajinks

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
Sorry for the slow update but here's the latest:

Uriah has continued to make a good recovery back to health, but there are still some lingering issues with head trauma, such as migrane headaches. He's in good spirits and he's even been spotted at the disc golf course a few times now.

The list of people who dontated money or other items to the Disc Golf Monkey / JDGC Tornado Fund, in no particular order (if you see an oversight, please post or let me know):

Lake Bella Vista Open Raffle
Adam and Kris West
Disconnected Aaron and Rick
Michael Greer
Mark Steddom
Lysa Grant - PA
Channel Z and Team Zanstra
Brian Rogers - PA
Scott Carpenter
Mark Cook - KY
Nathan Sttraz
Andy Snyder