Author Topic: Lions Den-Cliff Drive 8-20 Saturday Air Show day! (It's an EVENT!!)  (Read 4147 times)

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Lions Den-Cliff Drive 8-20 Saturday Air Show day!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 09:54:30 AM »
Looks like the Beer sponsor will be secured this week........

I have it on good record that the trophies will be super cool as well this year, with a return to the trophy disc instead of trophies......I have the travelling trophy all polished up sitting on my table, where its planning on returning to me yet again.....

WOrking on more details, but will start to work on cleaning the "event area" and the wooded holes, coming out of the woods is going to be a tough one this year with the construction work going on, I will try to identify an area that makes sense to get us out, or we will have to climb the hill yet again to get out!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 02:13:20 PM »
coming together quite micely folks.  Looks like the price point will be unfortunately $25, its more pricey than in the past, but with 3 bands, and disc, shirt, beer, food, chef's, DJ's, trophies............ its gonna be a freaking blast.  I hope to have Fred cooking luncheon ready for us from 11-1:30, and then Frank doing another round of food from 4:30-7 this should enable us to all enjoy the brewery that is helping with the cost by buying us a keg as well......I'll keep that a secret until we get it on the flyer, then you can figure it out!

I am excited about this, but then I imagine that you are as well.  This is going to be yet again a great time to celebrate birthday's the course, the people, and have a great time with all of us enjoying the day and shows, planes, music, and flying discs!  How great can it be!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »
I don't forget to bring Jack and I presents. 
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

paganscum

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
Where do we sign up?
If it harm none,
do what you will.

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2011, 03:18:38 PM »
Day of will be fine, I hadn't thought about other avenues to date, good idea though......  I am planning on having enough packages for ~100 people.  Right now thats still a loss on the event at $25, really need to be close to the 120 mark to break even at $25, I don't mind paying a little extra for my Birthday, but I think that last year we had a little over 100, and we added a 3rd band this year, and I am trying to do the double food thing, so......its tough, but this isn't to make money, its to show off Cliff Drive, and enjoy a great day in the park!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

Rick Rothstein

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.discgolfworld.com
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2011, 08:35:52 AM »
The leonine dominated staff at Disc Golf World would be happy to accept preregistrations for your fine, and somewhat notorious annual celebration. For those paying with a bankcard, a one dollar fee would be included to cover the cost of doing business with our "friends" at Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.

Rick
Rick Rothstein
Instigator, Ice Bowl 2014
At Large Member, KCFDC Board of Directors
President, Disc Golf World

Disc Golf World
816.471.3472 (w)
816.914.0094 (c)
rick@discgolfworld.com
www.discgolfworld.com

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:34 AM »
And there you have it......a first after 8 yrs we are now allowing pre-registration.....I guess since we are in the time of the Leo now, that this method is acceptable!

Go ahead and pre-reg if you want to ensure your place at the DEN!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 02:41:40 PM »
You are invited to yet another great year of the Lion's Den.  Dick Parker and Jack Lowe's attempt to thank the mother earth for a great place to play disc golf, and a chance to show off one of Kansas City's disc golf courses.  We hope to make this another great event, but it takes you to make that happen.  The timing will be from ~10am-dark, we ask that you get your first round of disc golf started no later than 1:00 for the "Big course" and that you start the mini round no later than 3:00.  The First band will begin ~11:30, with DJ Critter on the tunes before the event, and in between bands.  Parking will be tough, but hey its a great time!

The bands will start ~11:30, and will all play for about 2 hours after a 45 minute break or so between bands.  Food is scheduled to be happening ~ 11:30-1 and then from 5:30-7:00.  Mini Doubles will start ~5:30.  There will be an 18 hole mini course around the venue for us to enjoy as well!  Help is needed in all areas, if you think that you can help, we will gladly take your compassion to help a LION out!

I'd like to thank our sponsors:
Eagle Shirts--www.eagletshirts.com
Piropo's Restaurant--www.piroposkc.com
23rd St. Brewery--www.brew23.com
Innova Discs--www.innovadiscs.com
Kansas City MO P&R--www.kcmo.org/parks
Arnold Palmer Tee--www.arnoldpalmertee.com
Disc Golf World--www.discgolfworld.com
Cliff Drive Corridor Committee--www.cliffdrive.org/
Pendleton Heights Neighborhood association--www.pendletonheights.org/
Scarritt Renaissance Neighborhood--www.lisc.org/kansascity/documents/LISCQofLUpdateScarritthires.pdf

I only request that you plan on having a great day in the park.  This will be the 9th year of the "Lions Den" Birthday event.  It started out with 17 of us playing golf in the hot sun, and has grown to over 100 people playing and enjoying a day in the park.  We ask that you be mindful of the park and respect the land accordingly.  There is construction going on in the park around the area of the disc golf course, so please wear shoes that can handle elevated climbing.  The course will be set in a configuration that will avoid the traffic areas for other people enjoying the park to watch the air show, maps will be provided at the registration booth.  This area will be located by current hole #8 for those of you coming for the first time.  You may of course forward this invitation to anyone, and we ask that all LEO's come with their PACK ready to have a good time. 

This is a celebration of our birthday's yes, but more importantly every year this is a celebration of our efforts to reclaim the park that was not being used for many years before for appropriate activity.  Our efforts over the last decade have helped to transform this park into a great place to enjoy nature, and that is the true winner, our community thanks those that have given their time to make this a great place to play now.

Entry gets you the food, custom disc, a shirt, and the bands and drink.  Bring a chair to enjoy the bands as well, you know its a great time.  You will be playing 1 round on the "big course" with 3-4 divisions having a trophy for the winner, and then we will crown a "Cub Champ"-winner of the Mini course as well.  It's a leisure affair on the rounds, where you can play with whom you want or we will pair you up with a new person to meet out of the PACK.

The bottom line, this event is about fun and showing off a great part of Kansas City that has historically not received as much acclaim, we feel after the event you will understand why love and affection went into the park by the disc golfers, and more so, why it took a LION to move this along!  Now it takes a pack to keep it moving!

Come be a part of a great day in Kansas City, and make some great memories!

Jack

===o {>[]----

Jack Lowe-
KC Flying Disc Club
Board Member
http://www.KCFDC.org
http://www.PDGA.com

913.485.5123-C

"Do not listen to those who weep and
complain, for their disease is contagious. "
Og Mandino

===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Working fast and furious to ensure that this event is as much to enjoy as it is to be in a park.  Will be working at the park quite a bit this week, if you want to help out your karma and ensure that the event is good, please contact me to figure out when to help.  Thursday night and Friday afternoon are great days to help out realistically.... ;D
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »
With the possibiilty of rain in the forecast.....love the weather huh?  I have made a decision to shorten the course quite a bit.  Also there will not be parking down around the area that has been in the past, with the area being reserved this year to the Band and VIP (those that sponsored the event, the chef's, the beer, etc.....you can understand why I am sure)  That will allow the following course configuration to be used even if it is raining and minimize the efforts in order to have fun.  Unfortunately it doesn't allow as much beer to be consumed during play, but on a good note the course will not be much longer than Swope in its short configuration.  Here is a breakdown on the holes as I see them.
#1-will be teeing from Original #8 (basket area) to long #8 (yeah its that short, but why no cars can park here)
#2-#9 original
#3-#10 Original
#4-Tee from road by #18 road, to the Long #18 or Blue Practice Basket
#5-#11 Short
#6-Tee from Road to long #11
#7-#12 Original
#8-Tee from #13 pad to Temp placement behind dual trees
#9-Tee from road to #14 Short
#10-Tee from road to #15 Short
#11-Tee from Road across street to Corner temp placement across street from  fountain
#12-Tee from #17 to long #16 (Orange Basket)
#13-Tee from #1 to practice Basket
#14-Tee from road to long #1
#15-#2 short
#16-#3 (Then a long walk to #7)
#17-#7 short
#18-#8 tee pad to alternate placement short of the party

I may tweak this a little, because you can play this course, as 1,2,3, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  as the front 9, refill, then go play 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 for the back 9 but it requires a lot of walking to get to the back 9….but it may be that way.  There will be a map set up for you to review.

This takes out holes #4 (recently notated by some as Kansas City’s Worst hole……  :'( ) #5, and #6 on the course, as the area is currently under heavy construction, and ease of in and out is not as good as I would like.  This would enable the course to be played without as much possibility of slipping and sliding with the exception of #2 & #3 path.  If it is raining really bad, we may skip the #2 & #3, and play on 16 holes instead…..

If the weather does hold, based on the construction I will probably be going this way still, with the option of Ace Funds to the tune of $3 if you want in.  Let me know if you would prefer to have it as stated, or if you like the idea of a little longer walk, but a chance to re-charge the beer and would take the walk back up to the back 9.

Thanks,

Jack
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 03:10:06 PM by jack »
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
Not going to be able to come until after 7pm this year...wanna hold a player's pack back for me??
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
Really no comments from teh peanut gallery on the layout at all?  Confident you will have a good time at any case.....

While working on the course last night with my neighbor who doesn't play disc golf........  I made a decision to go ahead and play it as a bow tie configuration.  That means that there will be extra walking, but...you'll have a chance to swing by the festivities area in the middle of the round!  I'll work at getting the maps posted here in a bit as I re-construct it.  It will also have quite a few areas that you will not be able to park for teeing areas, less than a car space really, but please try to avoid the cones that will be placed there this weekend if you would.

More to follow.  Got most of the entire wall from 7-8 taken care of last night, probably about 30 minuttes work left there, tonight I will be working on #3 from about 5:30-7 if you can help, would love it!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 09:59:12 AM »
that's a lame layout and shouldn't be called cliff drive, call it upper resevoir drive. kiezer should be happy - no hole 4,5,6 or 17
espouse elucidation

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
I know Danger....I know.....but with the rain in the forecast, and the fact that hole #6 isn't as accessible to navigate, causes concerns on the people that may be playing.  I have played with my daughters and niece's, and cousins all under 8 yrs old, and to worry about them is something that I am not willing to sacrifice.  Hopefully next year will be a more "original layout" concept after the construction is complete, and hopefully we have a new exit ramp from #6 that will eventually benefit all of us!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
Map will be updated online soon for you to view.  There will be a map as well at the day of the event.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"