Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 2974 times)

Humphrind

Hello all
« on: March 29, 2005, 02:16:02 PM »
Hello.  I'm new here.  In fact, I'm new to the disc golf scene alltogether.

My friends opened me up to playing around October of 2004, just in time to stop playing for the winter.  As spring starts, and I am looking for something to get outside and do, as well as finding an activity to have some "guy time" with the friends.  My mind keeps wandering back to disc golf.

So I am here to say hello, and though I am just learning, I already have the 2 basic theories down.  I understand the basic rules of the game, and I have a ton of fun while playing.

So I hope to see all of you out on the links (are they called links in frisbee golf?) and thanks for having me.

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 04:34:36 PM »
Welcome.

If you can make it out to Rosedale on Monday night the Beginners league is starting up.  It will be my first go at a league as well so I'm not too sure about the particulars, but from what I understand it's alot of fun and there is no cost involved.

-Dennis
Rosedale Preservation Society Member

Humphrind

Hello all
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 08:37:34 AM »
I saw the Rosedale league and that's my intention.  I have a couple of problems.  Maybe you can help me out with these.

For the next 3-4 weeks, I have some stuff scheduled on Monday nights.  Any chance I can join the league late?  Do you know if that's an option?

What's the skill level/difference on the other leagues?  I may be able to join the Tuesday, Swope park league.  Of all the leagues listed that seems to fit in my schedule best.  But it may not be my bag if little ol' me and my friends are trying to run with the big boys and constantly dissapointing.

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 09:35:26 AM »
Humphrind,

Welcome to KC disc golf.  Although we call them leagues, they function more like weekly mini tournaments rather than a multi-week league(bowling,pool, etc).  You show up at the course on league night, pay your money ($5), pick a division, and play a round of golf.  Winnings are distributed that evening.  This allows you to play whenever you get the opportunity, which can be 5 nights a week :)
 Consider Joining the club, you get a  $1 discount on league play (which adds up), plus you help support DG in KC.  Once you travel a bit and see the disc golf scene in other towns you will realize how fortunate we are.

-Sean

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 10:49:17 AM »
Quote from: "Flip"
Humphrind,

Welcome to KC disc golf.  Although we call them leagues, they function more like weekly mini tournaments rather than a multi-week league(bowling,pool, etc).  You show up at the course on league night, pay your money ($5), pick a division, and play a round of golf.  Winnings are distributed that evening.  This allows you to play whenever you get the opportunity, which can be 5 nights a week :)

-Sean

Sean,

With the beginners league is there going to be expierenced players also playing for the money prize ie Sandbaggers?  I didn't know there was any money involved at all but I like it that there is :D

Humphrind

Hello all
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 11:44:21 AM »
Sean, Thank you for that.  It answers a lot of questions I had.  I was looking at it more as a bowling league.

And yes, I have already printed out the application for the KCFDC.  I only learned about the orginization yesterday, so I haven't had time.  But soon you will see my application, as well as others who enjoy this with me.

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »
DJayhawk: I believe the beginners league is a free event, with only experience being gained.  No need to worry about sandbaggers there. It is a good place to get the hang of organized play without the pressure of "winning".  

Humphrind: If you want to save the stamp, you can bring your application and money to any of the leagues, and the person running it will see that it gets to the right person.

-Sean

tedkeith

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:06:20 PM »
Good call Sean.

If you are just picking up disc golf the beginners league is a great place to start. You do have to put up with Paul... but even so it's a perfect way to learn the basics of our sport.

The other club leagues do have a weekly entry fee. Depending on interest there will be various divisions, which may include:

Women
Open
Masters (40+)
Advanced
Intermediate

The Open and Masters divisions are generally paid back in cash. The amateur divisions are paid back in KC Kash. Monopoly type money that can be used to purchase discs or other club merchandise.

Ted

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 10:09:04 PM »
Quote from: "tedkeith"
Good call Sean.

If you are just picking up disc golf the beginners league is a great place to start. You do have to put up with Paul... but even so it's a perfect way to learn the basics of our sport.

The other club leagues do have a weekly entry fee. Depending on interest there will be various divisions, which may include:

Women
Open
Masters (40+)
Advanced
Intermediate

The Open and Masters divisions are generally paid back in cash. The amateur divisions are paid back in KC Kash. Monopoly type money that can be used to purchase discs or other club merchandise.

Ted

So the beginners league cost's $5 to play winners of that league get their money back in KC Kash, to buy plastic etc.?  Where do you use the KC Kash?  Also could you let me know where to go as far as the beginning of the league?

Thanks, Dennis

Flip

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 10:41:25 PM »
So the beginners league cost's $5 to play

No, I think the beginner's league is free to play( I will find out for sure). In all other leagues  it is $5 (+$1 for ace pool, -$1 for club members) for all divisions.  Open and Pro Masters pay out in cash, all the Am divisions pay in KC cash, which is redeemable on club plastic.  Club plastic is available at any of the leagues. Each league "operator" has a box of various stuff for sale.  At club events (tourneys) there is usually a larger selection of club stuff to buy.

The beginner league is held at Rosedale park (see the course pages), park by the tennis courts and people usually gather by the picnic tables next to #1 tee.

I should probably make this topic a sticky  :wink:

-Sean

DJayhawk

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Hello all
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:45:03 PM »
Quote from: "Flip"
So the beginners league cost's $5 to play

I should probably make this topic a sticky  :wink:

-Sean

Or perhaps a sticky with general information on League Play, Tournaments.

:)

Mike Penney

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Hello all
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 02:52:44 AM »
Okay guys, heres the deal.

Beginners league is at Rosedale starting April 4th. IT IS FREE!!!!!!!!!!! one more time IT IS FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how else to say that. It operates just like a normal event; except there is NO MONEY involved, unless you want to buy some plastic or become a club memeber. It is brought to you this year, as it was last by Paul , great guy no matter what you may have heard.....lol..........there more then likely will be seasoned players to assist in the fun and learning experience. It is a tool/service to provide disc golf education and spread the fun of the game ( yes it is a game).
Mike Penney