Author Topic: Next pin change-up?  (Read 1552 times)

dangasaur

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
Next pin change-up?
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:18:41 AM »
I was wondering if anyone knew when the next pin change up would take place.  I play this course a lot after work and I don't think anything has moved since late spring. 

I can volunteer my time and several friends' time to help move them if it's just a manpower problem.

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Next pin change-up?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
I've actually been wondering the same thing, being that I typically run league out there on Tuesday's.  I've been told that the keys are with Dirk, but, I don't know how to get hold of him to see if possibly I can get the keys and move them myself.  Jack???????::) ;D
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:28:49 PM »
The new pin placements out there are way to lame. I know there are a lot of beginners out there, but why set it mostly short for summer when you have more playing time (daylight)? I have been out there twice and don't feel a need to go back tell there is a good mix in the placements. I was still trying to figure out how to deuce some of those original placements.

There is also construction on 87th street and you can't access Renner, so I found the best way for us southerners is to take 435 to Midland and back track up Renner.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:34:45 PM by ~Guth~ »

Brad Lenheim

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 09:18:12 PM »
I sent Dirk a PM to see about getting a key so that we can change things up more often! I have not heard back from him as of yet... As far as James or I know he is the only person with a key @ SMP unless keys from other parks baskets are the same?? Anyone Anyone?????

Twister66

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:51:40 PM »
The other parks keys don't work there.
Jim Sherwood

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:01:30 AM »
I'll work on a plan to get a key from Dirk and get it working.

As for the shortness, its a family friendly park, and I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with leaving it short even in the longer daylight months.

With the abundance of coruses in town, it is absolutely disc golf suicide to have all courses long, it will never turn a new player into wanting to play more if they can't feel that satisfaction of completion.
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 12:41:03 PM »

As for the shortness, its a family friendly park, and I personally see absolutely nothing wrong with leaving it short even in the longer daylight months.

With the abundance of coruses in town, it is absolutely disc golf suicide to have all courses long, it will never turn a new player into wanting to play more if they can't feel that satisfaction of completion.

Ya...what he said!
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 01:02:08 PM »

Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

Kevin Montgomery

• Administrator
  • 1000 Rated Poster
  • Nice shot!
    • View Profile
    • http://kcfdc.org
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 01:37:02 PM »
I like short courses. Those of you who have seen me throw know why....   ::)

Kevin Montgomery
Eschew Obfuscation
KCFDC #117
PDGA# 12037
http://www.kcfdc.org

Guth

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

I never said all long, there should be a good mix of short and long holes so its a challenge for any level of play. I guess the days of strategically trying to place a golf shot so you feel the satisfaction of getting a three or four are gone in KC. Even the par three ball golf courses have a few par 4 & 5s mixed in.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 02:10:21 PM »
How many people started to play on courses that were in their long settings and went back?  How many played on a community course that was attainable, and went back?  I started on a 9-hole course that was probably ~2500' and played weekly, then daily as I got better. (the jury I know is still out on my getting better!)

I always thought that even its shorter setting that SMP was too long,  it really should be a feeder course to get people hooked on the course with the traffic that is out there.  Don't get me wrong it should have hte ability to be a good course, but to be a good course, you need not be at Blue Valley length.  You can have a tough fun course with tree's and everything else under 5000' and still be challenging for the seasoned pro, and have a fun day for the newbies!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
I never said all long, there should be a good mix of short and long holes so its a challenge for any level of play. I guess the days of strategically trying to place a golf shot so you feel the satisfaction of getting a three or four are gone in KC. Even the par three ball golf courses have a few par 4 & 5s mixed in.

But the question remains why should we have it for all levels?  Why not have it for Newbies?  I understand your point, so don't think I was poking this directly at you.  I know many others have this same thought, but I think that having a friendly course that is heavily weighted to a particular level is a good thing, and I think that though balance is great, that by having specific courses for specific play is probably better.  In this particular idea, I really feel as though that SMP shuold be a feeder course, as should Rosedale.  Now having the option for longer placements to turn it into a tougher layout is a great idea, but I think that the majority of the time it should play friendly to learn people's game.

I saw many top pros in the Wide Open not have to worry about the upshot game, and I think that we need to evaluate that component of the game, to where maybe the drive is an upsot, instead of a drive.....
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

AdamC

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 02:54:39 PM »
While I would have liked to have seen some of them placed elsewhere, I'm honestly just happy to have alternate pin settings out there at SMP.  Even if it does play shorter overall, not all of the new pin placements are closer (#5, #8, #13) or if they are at least some are harder to reach (#10).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:56:11 PM by AdamC »

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »
A mix is needed if you can do it for erosion especially, so its good to have options, but in KC we are some of the most spoiled disc golfers in the world, and our snobbish attitudes come from that ability to want it all, and generally we have gotten it!

Its great to be in KC and be a disc golf player!
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

tallguy007kc

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 10:22:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely keeping Shawnee in a shorter layout, but there are some holes that could/should be switched up just a bit, and keep it essentially playing short.  Especially during this lovely heat thang' we got goin' on right now!  8)
James McLaughlin
PDGA #39535