Author Topic: KC's Worst Hole  (Read 4340 times)

coops

KC's Worst Hole
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »
There has been lots of discussion about the best hole in KC, how about a discussion of the worst?

I had this idea last night while playing with Jack Lowe and he was complaining mightily about hole 12 at PC. He kept claiming that it was the worst hole in KC because there was no line (even though 4 out of the 5 of us had bird tries).

Now, my vote for worst in KC goes to Cliff #4. I will agree that there are a couple lines there, but lines do not a good hole make. My problem with that hole (really in the shorter left placement, long left becomes a good 3 and short right has a good line) is that most of the drives seem to depend on a good deal of luck and what kind of kicks you take or don't take.

Obviously there will be some who disagree, so lets talk about it. Maybe we can get into a discussion of what makes these holes bad and can learn a little about what people think makes a good hole while we're at it.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KC's Worst Hole
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
There has been lots of discussion about the best hole in KC, how about a discussion of the worst?

I had this idea last night while playing with Jack Lowe and he was complaining mightily about hole 12 at PC. He kept claiming that it was the worst hole in KC because there was no line (even though 4 out of the 5 of us had bird tries).

Now, my vote for worst in KC goes to Cliff #4. I will agree that there are a couple lines there, but lines do not a good hole make. My problem with that hole (really in the shorter left placement, long left becomes a good 3 and short right has a good line) is that most of the drives seem to depend on a good deal of luck and what kind of kicks you take or don't take.

Obviously there will be some who disagree, so lets talk about it. Maybe we can get into a discussion of what makes these holes bad and can learn a little about what people think makes a good hole while we're at it.

it helps to look at cliff #4 from the backwards perspective.  you will see lines there.

that hole is very dependent on both hitting a line and hitting it at the proper speed.  i think it's a good challenge because of this.

jpnkc74

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:21:30 PM »
KC's worst hole.... funny I was just talking about smithville #15..(I think it's 15)  When it's finished, I am sure I will change my mind, but right now, THAT is kc's worst hole!!!   BTW, you guys and your crying about no lines.... It's my belief a tight hole is the best hole!!!! ;D :D ;D :D

HaterAde

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 12:29:38 PM »
I think Cliff #4 and PC #12 are both at the top of the list. ;D

Timko

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 12:46:56 PM »
One of my least favorite holes in KC is #6 at Rosedale in the super left position.  Even though it's not super long, the RHBH line there is a "Jenkins" hyzer (overstable disc thrown really hard).  Perhaps it's easier for the lefty with something understable?

eeastwood

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:07 PM »
I hate hole #7 at PHill.  No obstacles but wind and the OB on the right.  Boring shot and frustrating.  As a lefty, I don't like #2 at Cliff Drive, but I can appreciate it. 

jack

• KCFDC Board Members
  • 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:09:41 PM »
As I stated last night, the problem is that there is not a line to throw to on that hole.  You both threw it high into the trees to let it drop down into the area that is close.....if it were maintained and cleaned up to have lines to throw at I probably wouldn't have as big of an issue.

I also have bigger issues with "blind shots" as well, and that hole is the epitomy of "blind shot at 250' "  as I stated last night even though my putt for two face-masked, it still doesn't make it a good hole.  I think that in the longer position and with the lines cleaned up that hole is much better, and a true golf hole, as it stood last night...hot so much.....

As for cliff #4....with 3 lines and control of your disc its an easy hole.  THe longer placement actually is not a good hole based on statistics from the Wide Open.  You need to throw the disc so it doesn't hit the trees, if that doesn't make a good disc shot in a wooded part of the course, then I guess I am missing it, and maybe I should not worry about going into the woods for any of the courses in the future?   ??? :o
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

CRAMNATION7

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 03:06:37 PM »
man i just had a dream about this last night. weird!!!
Jay Cram

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »
Hole 1 Rosedale down under.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

jbachmeier

• Novice Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »
I have never enjoyed #16 at p-hill.  Short dog leg right that I never get a legitimate birdie chance at.  Very aggravating.
John Bachmeier

KCFDGC#1296
PDGA#51514
Grip it and rip it!

The Bird Father

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • WOOT! WOOT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
Every hole at legacy....  ;)
Just Another Dirty Bird

Bird > Word

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 08:30:34 PM »
I am a fan of almost every hole in Kansas City.   That said, I am less impressed with Water Works hole #7 short (right) and #17 short (left).  Nothing overly difficult about them, just sort of boring by comparison.   That said, I'd have hard time using the superlative "worst" on either of them.
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »

I agree that the rhbh hyzer line on this hole is kind of a crap shoot; however, if you throw off the front left corner and take the left line then a good shot is rewarded with no luck involved-very clear straight line there.  plus I think it is a unique hole with elevation which is cool to look at and fun to throw IMO, and those factors add merit towards being a good hole.

I agree with Jack that #12 at PC kind of sucks.  #7 at P-Hill is pretty drab, but since it's a guaranteed ace run which adds excitement and I recently aced it I am biased and think it is totally awesome:)  I've always thought #9 at P-Hill is pretty boring as well.  Cliff #14 is kind of weak. Blue Springs #2 is not my favorite in the long position.  People who can throw a hard thumber are grossly rewarded and the through-the-woods line is crazy tight. But since this is a "worst" hole (which seems as though it would include any and ALL pin placements on that hole), I vote #9 at Pleasant Hill. Unless I think of something crappier and amend my post. I haven't played Legacy...

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 10:37:07 PM »
The problem with PC12 is that the city won't let the clean up and clearing happen.  It's a weak hole no matter where, mainly because luck is such a big part of getting that birdie shot.  But, with good control of the right disc, a birdie attempt is not out of the question for almost anyone.  'course, a double bogey is also not out of the question for almost anyone.  That doesn't make it a truly good hole, just one with a wide score range.  It would be interesting to see what stats come from a season of leagues, in each pin, on 12.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Neckbeard

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 07:43:24 AM »
I don't beleive there are "worse holes" in disc golf.

Either one is not seeing 1) "all of the lines", or 2) is limited in what throws he/she has available for that basket.

Unless I think of something crappier and amend my post.

I change my mind.  My new answer is : Whatever hole I last played with Steeler Doug.