Author Topic: KC's Worst Hole  (Read 4179 times)

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KC's Worst Hole
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
yes i would like to start off the back right (were i start almost all my drives) then do my "run up" with out having to worry about hitting my foot or leg on the rocks. its hard to stop after letting go of the disc and have "good form (sp?)"

couldn't you just shorten your run up a bit and stop 6 inches from the end of the pad? maybe even a whole foot?

sirbronco

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
I am not too fond of #13 at WW.
Van "Can" Spratford
sirbronco@sbcglobal.net
KCFDC # 1122
PDGA # 12695

ian

• Pro Poster
  • Throw as hard as you can
    • View Profile
    • Squirrel Party Disc Golf
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
I am not too fond of #13 at WW.

Don't hit the tree then  ;)

BenC

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 02:31:32 PM »
#2 at Rosedale, short and the next placement, once we lost the tree there is nothing to that hole.

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 04:28:34 PM »
The worst hole has not yet been put in...for that matter, neither has the best; it's why we keep playing 8) 8)
Wind??  What wind??

john theiss

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
In my opinion, the worst holes are those that have zero risk/reward, have little challenge of a disc golf skill or are nearly unplayable.    

word to yo motha! a hole that lets you throw any type of shot, any line,throw with either hand, and still no trouble despite all these choices can be a very bad hole with little score deviation.  But, courses with these type of holes i bet are more appealing to the majority of disc golfers.  risk reward allows players of all ages to compete, not just the few that can throw over 450 consistently. I like to se hole that even the playing field and force the guns into control power shots.  good holes should force shot execution or allow the player to make choices which result in better shots being rewarded,therefore giving score deviation.  

At the WO several pros at BV kept saying "blah, blah, blah ...drive drive drive.  i do not even need to think about my next shot, nor change out the disc."   These type of holes can be both really long and really short.  

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2011, 05:09:20 PM »
Yes, there certainly is a place for super easy holes. California Trails comes to mind. It's excellent for the kids. Though it might actually be a bit too long for them.

These super fast, extra long flying molds are making many courses obsolete. I have been thinking lately of a new format; limited disc speed class.  No discs over a certain speed may be used in the event. Just a thought
Super Class or putter only
Wind??  What wind??

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 05:38:18 PM »
disc technology has definately overshot the design aspect of the game.  I think that the disc mfg's and the PDGA are solely to blame for this error in our sport.  If we had the space that golf courses utilize this would not be as big of an issue, but our space in parks is limited.  I wonder how the PGA has orchestrated courses through the evolution of better club design and ball technology over the years.

I have thought about this being a major issue in our sport, but this is driving me to take a look at the growing pains that golf may have discovered......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »
While I agree that the parks structure is not as well suitable for these bigger faster discs. (mainly safety comes to mind) but in turn, Having those fast long range drivers does really look impressive from an outsiders view when looking at our sport. 

..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:18 PM »
http://www.milesofgolf.com/blog/golf-clubs/vintage-vs-technology/

One article about it, I am going to look for more....I find it odd that only about 26% increase over the years in advancement in technology.....but hey 300' to 400' is about what we are currently talking about in the average terms correct....so we are moving at a faster rate, the question is will we peak, or will we get to the Aerobie distance era?
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"

dickthediscparker

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 07:09:53 PM »
lol.  I just found an old gag gift that Rick has in the shop with 2 Aerobies that say #1 Driver  & #2 Driver.  and the bag is a canvas tote bag that just says Play Disc Golf.  Pretty funny.
..sS{Dick Parker}Zz...
Disc Golf Course Designer
Freelance Graphics Artist

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »
blue valley 13, yup you know you can't think of it right off the bat, it's boring and a lot of plastic is lost for nada, oh yeah and the soon to be old hole 4 at woodhenge
espouse elucidation

tla06

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 05:39:47 AM »
disc technology has definately overshot the design aspect of the game.  I think that the disc mfg's and the PDGA are solely to blame for this error in our sport.  If we had the space that golf courses utilize this would not be as big of an issue, but our space in parks is limited.  I wonder how the PGA has orchestrated courses through the evolution of better club design and ball technology over the years.

I have thought about this being a major issue in our sport, but this is driving me to take a look at the growing pains that golf may have discovered......
You still gotta put them on target.  Course design, not length, will keep the disc technology relevant.
Wind??  What wind??

David E

• Pro Poster
  • I'd rather be throwing plastic than typing this...
    • View Profile
    • The Big C
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:04 AM »
I wonder how the PGA has orchestrated courses through the evolution of better club design and ball technology over the years.

Love him or hate him, Tiger Wooods did more than win a lot of tournaments, he caused the game to be changed by course redesign. Yes it wasn't just him but also the evolution of the equipment as well. In 1997 when he won his first green jacket at the Masters the course was 6925 yards, in 2011 it played to 7435 yds. Not only have they changed the course in length, they have also added trees, moved tee boxes and rebuilt greens.

Just one example, there are many more.

www.flhw.org
Every 2.25 minutes a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer.
Every 19 minutes a man, dies from the disease.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »
The question is, how far are we removed from having our events at golf courses?  Many executive courses are now shorter than our current courses......food for thought, but yes the technology is changing the game, the courses are no longer the quaint little parks to enjoy playing with friends that enamored me to the sport, where you can see most people playing (think swope)  I adapt, and still the sport, don't get me wrong, but its a change that is clearly there, and how far is it from going to a new step.....that is what I am wondering, and I do blame this all on the disc technology...even if it makes some people feel that we can throw far and look impressive, as that relates, why are we not using the true Aerobie, instead of the Paint can putter, and UD UFO they have?

But I digress, I concede that the worst hole in Kansas City is the one that gets pulled....or neglected......
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
cheaper, and healthier!"