Author Topic: KC's Worst Hole  (Read 4081 times)

jamidanger

• 1000 Rated Poster
  • 1= be safe 2= be courteous 3= all holes be par 3
    • View Profile
    • my goal is a pdga rating of 420
Re: KC's Worst Hole
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 09:53:38 AM »
criteria for the worst hole: neglected, unsafe, boring to the point that you'd : consider not playing it, never take a mulligan on it, need a spotter, fear you're in someone elses landing zone and get hit, no bench, no shade, no view.
espouse elucidation

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2011, 11:35:02 AM »
In my opinion, the worst holes are those that have zero risk/reward, have little challenge of a disc golf skill or are nearly unplayable.    

At the WO several pros at BV kept saying "blah, blah, blah ...drive drive drive.  i do not even need to think about my next shot, nor change out the disc."   These type of holes can be both really long and really short.  
I completley agree with Tracy on this, which is why I like BV.  F'rinstance, #1.  The risk is to drive the 600' that is logically about the maximum possible there  (well, not for me) without going too far either way.  You get in the schule, you have some problems.  Play it shorter, more controlled, a par is certainly possible.  I've had several 6s there, and at least 2 were botched putts for 5.  On the long, yes.  And if this weanie arm can do it, almost anyone can.  Aside from 12 and 13, which are both boring, it's a course that will challenge anyone to play it RIGHT, not just well.  The fact that there have been so many mid-50s and so many high 80s among pros says something.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

eupher61

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 11:38:53 AM »
criteria for the worst hole: neglected, unsafe, boring to the point that you'd : consider not playing it, never take a mulligan on it, need a spotter, fear you're in someone elses landing zone and get hit, no bench, no shade, no view.
ah...Swope.
Ace?  I'll take a freakin' BIRDIE!
Steve Hoog, now in St Louis
Bluebird ROCKS!

Loomis

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 12:22:30 PM »
The worst hole...  .... Is it too easy to play and therefore unremarkable? Is it too difficult and therefore discouraging? Was the designer looking for a "filler" hole from one great hole to the next? I love Swope, and I hear that a long time ago the course was tree city. Now the trees are few and the lines are many. Does that make those holes which used to be tougher, worse or better?

The few holes that I dislike are the ones I play so often that I know what to throw, how to throw it and it comes without any effort or thought on my part. They lack aesthetic or athletic appeal to me. It could be course design, but unlike ball golf (tiger woods example from earlier post) disc golf doesn't get to pick where the courses go, we often have to take what we can get. And ball golf can shape, and reshape the land to make their courses challenging. Disc golf has to hope that the city doesn't want soccer fields.

So, if I had to pick a hole in KC, it would be all of the Parkville course. The course that everyone has forgotten because it's just so forgettable. The holes at Parkville make hole 12 at PC, hole 13 at Blue Valley, hole 4 at Cliff, holes 7, 2, and 18 at Waterworks, all of Legacy, all of Phill and all of the holes played with Doug, seem like USDGC of the midwest. Which gives me an idea... Does anyone have 18 portable baskets?

Flying J

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 02:39:44 PM »
I have never enjoyed #16 at p-hill.  Short dog leg right that I never get a legitimate birdie chance at.  Very aggravating.

I've yet to birdie that sucker, but it's a great hole because of how challenging it is.
Jose Ossa
Southern Nationals raised.
#1000bound

LKillian

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 03:40:44 PM »
Don't understand the unlove for legacy. Some of the short placements are not that exciting but some of the long placements are really good. Hole six in the long is one of my favorite holes in the city. 3 long, 4 short&long, 6 long, 7 long, 8 long, 12, 14( ;))15 long, 18 long are all good holes to me, and a lot more that don't suck.

Lee's summit parks and rec doesn't give the freedom that the club has at most courses to adjust or modify the course, but it's challenging, clean, and well taken care of.

The two contrasting sides of the course make for a fun round. I just think you can't let a couple of weak holes make you not want to play a good course. Except when you don't birdie hole 14...
...In doubles ;D
Cooter was here.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:51 PM »
I have never enjoyed #16 at p-hill.  Short dog leg right that I never get a legitimate birdie chance at.  Very aggravating.

I've yet to birdie that sucker, but it's a great hole because of how challenging it is.

tight leopard turnover, right inside the first gap.

i've also seen leo, bobby v and deano park it with the big sky anny in the past.

gleauzinier

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 04:59:42 PM »
#16, p-hill? left handed; righty flick.
Maurice Richard Gleauzinier
Freelance Flight Tightener
Just Say Glow Foundation
888 BIG DISC
maurice@gleauzinier.com
Please be quiet when people are throwing

GuinnessSmurf

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Oldham, Composer
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
blue valley 13, yup you know you can't think of it right off the bat, it's boring and a lot of plastic is lost for nada, oh yeah and the soon to be old hole 4 at woodhenge
Are you kidding?  I love this hole.   I enjoy throwing as many drivers as I can from this tee pad.  Great view down the hill, nice moguls at the end... I think it is a fantastic hole.
Check out my detailed beer reviews: www.ryanoldham.com/beer
Now with well over 400 reviews!

dogundertheporch

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 09:53:18 PM »
blue valley 13, yup you know you can't think of it right off the bat, it's boring and a lot of plastic is lost for nada, oh yeah and the soon to be old hole 4 at woodhenge
Are you kidding?  I love this hole.   I enjoy throwing as many drivers as I can from this tee pad.  Great view down the hill, nice moguls at the end... I think it is a fantastic hole.
I'm with you on this one Guinness. I can throw my whole bag on that hole(like a couple of others there as well). The hard one for me is #12 can't get up that hill with any good distance.

CRAMNATION7

• Am Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »
#16, p-hill? left handed; righty flick.

are you kidding? the hole is great. the best one at p hill. for how short it is and not a lot of birdies.  throw a big annie(sp?) (for a righty). iv been within 30 the last 3 times.
Jay Cram

Kevin Simpson

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 10:10:56 AM »
plus, all the teepads at cliff are backwards.  :P  ;D

resoundingly this.

jack

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
plus, all the teepads at cliff are backwards.  :P  ;D

resoundingly this.

Then you are all backwards..... :P

The logic of the pads went in many discussions ago, and though you may feel that way, I am copmletely comfortable with my reasoning and why I chose to make it happen the way it did.....

Of course we could always go back to the......"tee's should be in on time for the next event I have been told, the money has been allocated, there are just a few people that need to approve it, we are very close....."
===o  {>[]----
Jack Lowe-
Parks Development Director for KCFDC
Multiple PDGA Worlds TD
Course Designs
913.485.5123-C
"Disc Golf-
Like ball golf, only faster,
cheaper, and healthier!"

matty

• Pro Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
played young hole 4 from 14's short tee last night, kinda dumb, kinda fun. a couple 2's a couple 5's and plenty in between.
putt, putt, give.

phisherman_77

• 1000 Rated Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 01:01:27 PM »
played young hole 4 from 14's short tee last night, kinda dumb, kinda fun. a couple 2's a couple 5's and plenty in between.

kinda dumb, but still a fun variant on hole #4.  we had a 2, 3, and a couple 4s.  shinoski had the 2; it was a toss in from about 80 feet.